Experiences Living in Zona Colonial

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
As far as feeling safe check out my recent blog post re El Conde Santo Domingo Diaries

Very well written blog. I've read other entries in the past. Yes the violence does give me pause, but nevertheless I am still going to take my chances. One big advantage I have is that I don't drink alcohol (did in the past) and I think that helps me from becoming less of a target.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
To give or not to give on the street- always a difficult decision for foreigners in the DR. My decision- I do not give money on the street- ever, to people asking me. There are countless other ways to help those less fortunate in the DR. After so many years here and much refection, I believe giving on the street is more a negative than a positive for DR society overall

it's the same in Philadelphia, NYC, or any other large city. Can't walk a block without some poor unfortunate soul asking for money. Being a seasoned big city boy, I never give cash... but have, and do, on occasion buy food or some other kind of help that they can't "drink", "inject", "smoke", or "snort". Not all are addicts, but many are. I also contribute to organizations... which I'm not sure is much better than handing out cash on the street; because the lion's share of revenue goes to administration of the group, with only a small percentage going to actually help the needy.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
How much money would be needed for a person to live in Santo Domingo for 6 months? Would 1,000 per month be enough? How much would a cheap apartment be per month? That is not a bad idea to live there for 6 months.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
You can find an apt for $400-$500 a month. In the Colonial Zone more around $500-$700. Depending on your lifestyle $1000 could be worked with. If you plan to do a lot of dating, you'd probably need more, unless you go Dutch. I'm not sure they do Dutch in DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Marketing Strategy

... live in Santo Domingo for 6 months? Would 1,000 per month be enough?

Well, you can always make ends meet somehow...

geldverdienenbetteln460.jpg

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
If you go slightly out of town $250/month rent is good. Plus another $250/month for living expenses. Some folks housesit and live rent free. So start with a budget of $500/month complete and aim to reduce. Remember the market is soft and a little cash up front works wonders. Prices are very low in DR - beef, no bone, 2.5 dollars a pound, beans from .7 dollars a pound.

yapask1

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just so you all know,Questions like,"How much does it cost to live in SD?","How much does a good car cost there?","Where would I like to live?","How much will it cost me to buy food?","How much does an apartment cost there?",are worthless,and so are the answers you get to those questions.
The only correct answer to all those questions is, "Please ask specific questions."
"Yapask! :alien::alien::alien::alien:has been a poster on DR1 under MANY names.The only thing that is consistent is his laughable estimate of cost-of-living here.His answers are as useless as your questions!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
How much specifically for an encounter with someone who works "the oldest profession in the world"? :cheeky:

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
You can find an apt for $400-$500 a month. In the Colonial Zone more around $500-$700. Depending on your lifestyle $1000 could be worked with. If you plan to do a lot of dating, you'd probably need more, unless you go Dutch. I'm not sure they do Dutch in DR.

Do you know the names of any places that are 400-500 a month?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Just so you all know,Questions like,"How much does it cost to live in SD?","How much does a good car cost there?","Where would I like to live?","How much will it cost me to buy food?","How much does an apartment cost there?",are worthless,and so are the answers you get to those questions.
The only correct answer to all those questions is, "Please ask specific questions."
"Yapask! :alien::alien::alien::alien:has been a poster on DR1 under MANY names.The only thing that is consistent is his laughable estimate of cost-of-living here.His answers are as useless as your questions!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Could it be? I sense a little "Pi2"ish diction in "Yapask" posts.... If so welcome back!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The big difference between "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" and "XzanaDODO,Yapaski 1,and his earlier incarnations,is,
I don't ever drink alcohol,or need to get drunk every day/night, before I post my "Nonsense" on the internet!
He and the other brain dead DR "Spin Doctors" are not even a good foil for my scalpel!!!!!!
TRW

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hey man, you are a superb actor..... difficult to distinguish between your emanations and those of some poor soul who has been worshiping Bacchus and is ,way gone,. No doubt you are an expert in many things - including the cultivation of the vine. More profound findings from your epistemology soon...

yapask1

The big difference between "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" and "XzanaDODO,Yapaski 1,and his earlier incarnations,is,
I don't ever drink alcohol,or need to get drunk every day/night, before I post my "Nonsense" on the internet!
He and the other brain dead DR "Spin Doctors" are not even a good foil for my scalpel!!!!!!
TRW

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Could it be? I sense a little "Pi2"ish diction in "Yapask" posts.... If so welcome back!!!

I just came across Yappie this evening and posted the same thoughts in the off topic forum... LOL I agree... welcome back for the entertainment value.