Exploding Diet Pepsi 2 liter bottles

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Concesus suggests an investigation for the cause as I am now handeling these as if they were loaded with nitroglycerin.

The prices to buy canned soda is 27 rd for 12 0z vs 45rd for 2 liters.

From now on I will go to the little Playero and have one of the detectives open a bottle and bring it to the cashier.

Of course this great discomfort cannot compare to the 65 year old women who I saw today carrying a 4 gallon container just for potable water.

I wonder if the shape of the bottles has anything to do with it? LOL because the first thing my kids noticed was that the bottles were rocket shaped and had smaller bottoms :cheeky: compared with the ones here in Canada.

Reactions: Lucille

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I wonder if the shape of the bottles has anything to do with it? LOL because the first thing my kids noticed was that the bottles were rocket shaped and had smaller bottoms :cheeky: compared with the ones here in Canada.

Are you sure...I generally find the bottoms to be larger in RD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
must be stingy plastic producers. i always have a problem opening small plastic drink bottles, they are so soft!
krauss sink story was a scary one. i wanted a sink like that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And don't you just hate it when you open a brand new bottle and the drink is completely flat!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a bunch of peKsi bottles to give back, past bbd. nearly all of them quietly broke in the bottom. yikes.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This was quasi humorous in the beginning but another bottle exploded while i was out and about enjoying my day.

This time it was a 2 liter bottle of tonic water and after mopping my floor 5 X it's still sticky.

I will never buy another 2 liter bottle of anything again in the DR

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I will never buy another 2 liter bottle of anything again in the DR

Mike, I know exactly where you're coming from. After numerous 2 liter bottles exploding in my kitchen, I was getting very tired of cleaning up the mess.
I have since started purchasing the 20oz bottles and even though it is more expensive this way, the bombs have stopped exploding. If they make the plastic any thinner on those 2 liter bottles, they'll start exploding in your car on the way home.......
Have you ever noticed at PriceSmart that the pallets of 2 liter pepsi's are covered in dried soda, so they're even exploding in the stores.....

B in Santiago

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Read about Henry's Law:

Henry's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll be safe with cans and it won't be as flat. Ever notice that in the tropics the air gap in plastic bottles is about twice as big? I also check twist off glass beer bottles. If there is more air than normal, it is prob skunked.

If the soda is too cold when it is carbonated, it can be over-carbonated at room temp.

Henry's law would not explain why the bottles are bursting- only why the soda goes flat.

I suspect the bottle (polyethylene terephthalate) wall thickness (trying to save $ on material) or a faulty manufacturing process, and the application of Charles's law.

That's why they put "burst" disks in SCUBA bottles to protect the pressure vessel (the bottle) from overpressurization- especially when stored in a car's hot trunk.

Charles's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Mike, I know exactly where you're coming from. After numerous 2 liter bottles exploding in my kitchen, I was getting very tired of cleaning up the mess.
I have since started purchasing the 20oz bottles and even though it is more expensive this way, the bombs have stopped exploding. If they make the plastic any thinner on those 2 liter bottles, they'll start exploding in your car on the way home.......
Have you ever noticed at PriceSmart that the pallets of 2 liter pepsi's are covered in dried soda, so they're even exploding in the stores.....

B in Santiago

This is exactley what I am going to do because they could blowup while I am driving home and I get killed because the mixer never met the alcohol.

Reactions: SantiagoDR