False documents found amongst new prospects

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

I do not think it's a secret that many MLB players from the DR (and other countries) were older than what was listed for their age. I thought the MLB was implementing a better process to stop this practice. Guess it is still going strong. Sorry, the article is in Spanish.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

I do not think it's a secret that many MLB players from the DR (and other countries) were older than what was listed for their age. I thought the MLB was implementing a better process to stop this practice. Guess it is still going strong. Sorry, the article is in Spanish.
Baseball here they will sell their mother to make some money .

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This has been going on for decades. The scouts make their money by identifying good promising young talent. A 16 y/o with a 90 mph fast ball is certainly of more interest than a 20-year-old with two surgeries. The average shelf life of an MLB player is around 10 years. Not as short as an NFL player but short enough they have to make sure they get their money's worth. The scouts check school pictures and medical records.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
It is the "scout" or "entrenador" that normally secures the false documents for the player. There are some decent baseball academies that do their due diligence when it comes to players age, etc... But there still some scouts out there that will charge a high commission percent if the players get signed. They will go to great lengths to get false documents to cut some years off a players age. This was always a part of the argument why having an International Draft would help with this issue. But the MLB/MLBPA have never agreed on it.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Keepcoming you are really the expert on this DR baseball business. It’s interesting.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Keepcoming you are really the expert on this DR baseball business. It’s interesting.
With both sides of my family (spouses' mother side and my mother's side) it has always been in our life's. My son also played, went as far as an MLB sponsored summer camp in the DR. But he eventually decided that his education was more important. One of my spouses' cousins also played in the minor leagues for a while. He is a classic example of what not to do when signed to play professional baseball. Years ago, my FIL used to have a box at Estadio Quisqueya, we used to attend a lot of games. Now, not really at all.

Reactions: Lucifer

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
With both sides of my family (spouses' mother side and my mother's side) it has always been in our life's. My son also played, went as far as an MLB sponsored summer camp in the DR. But he eventually decided that his education was more important. One of my spouses' cousins also played in the minor leagues for a while. He is a classic example of what not to do when signed to play professional baseball. Years ago, my FIL used to have a box at Estadio Quisqueya, we used to attend a lot of games. Now, not really at all.
When I was here at the beginning in 2006 I think it was I went to one game with an American friend. It’s the only game I have been to. A player came out to play for Escogido I think it was. In Santo Domingo. The crowd went wild. It was David Ortiz. I had never heard of him.