Fantasy Baseball Help Re: Pedro

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
He's hurt......AGAIN. This time for 4-6 weeks due to strained hamstring.

As a diehard Yankee fan, Pedro's long since earned my respect as a warrior. However, I'm fearing that the frail body is finally breaking down. I can already see this year being a disaster for, with in him coming back, and overcompensating for the injury by tossing harder, which might throw his arm out of whack.

What do you guys think? Time to pull the plug on him and drop him?

For the record, if there are any HOF threads on this board regarding the next legitimate DR players to be inducted into the HOF, it's gotta start with him. He's a 1st ballot lock.

Opusculum

Joseito - Sad Pathetic Sock Puppet
Jan 14, 2008
He's hurt......AGAIN. This time for 4-6 weeks due to strained hamstring.

As a diehard Yankee fan, Pedro's long since earned my respect as a warrior. However, I'm fearing that the frail body is finally breaking down. I can already see this year being a disaster for, with in him coming back, and overcompensating for the injury by tossing harder, which might throw his arm out of whack.

What do you guys think? Time to pull the plug on him and drop him?

For the record, if there are any HOF threads on this board regarding the next legitimate DR players to be inducted into the HOF, it's gotta start with him. He's a 1st ballot lock.

I didn't do a live draft this year, just let the machine pick for me. But had I drafted him, I'd keep him. And, yes, he's a first-ballot inductee.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I didn't do a live draft this year, just let the machine pick for me. But had I drafted him, I'd keep him. And, yes, he's a first-ballot inductee.

Yeah, but it's seeming like it might be time to cut him loose. 4-6 weeks, plus whatever else ails him after.

By the way, little-known Johnny Cueto from San Pedro is already being seen as a Pedro-like clone. He dominated his MLB debut in Cincinnati today.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Picking him in the first place was a bad idea, drop him, I dont think Pedro can pitch with an ERA lower than 4.20 this season.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
I put him on the DL in my league. If I need to drop him to DL another guy I was positive would be coming back I would. Some leagues allow for 2 DL spots. Others only one. Check your settings.

May 12, 2005
Put him on the DL if your league has one or stash him on your bench. If he comes back healthy he will help with K's and WHIP down the stretch.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Didn't like to see him dominate like he did.

By the way, little-known Johnny Cueto from San Pedro is already being seen as a Pedro-like clone. He dominated his MLB debut in Cincinnati today.

Only because I've had my eye on him. He wasn't listed for our draft, and wasn't placed into the free agent pool. He's on waivers - which means everyone now knows he's worth grabbing. Dang!!

Pedro certainly shouldn't be in your starting rotation anyway. He's worth a DL spot. If he shows he can withstand 5 straight starts, then I'd consider putting into situations where he may dominate - against a Pittsburgh or if there is drama involved. He performs well in the dramatics.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Only because I've had my eye on him. He wasn't listed for our draft, and wasn't placed into the free agent pool. He's on waivers - which means everyone now knows he's worth grabbing. Dang!!

Pedro certainly shouldn't be in your starting rotation anyway. He's worth a DL spot. If he shows he can withstand 5 straight starts, then I'd consider putting into situations where he may dominate - against a Pittsburgh or if there is drama involved. He performs well in the dramatics.

EXACTLY what happened to me. I picked Edison Volquez with the last picks in my drafts, and searched for Cueto, but he wasn't listed anywhere. He WAS my sleeper. Yahoo finally added him to the waiver wire on Tues., I made a claim for him, but since they were late in adding him, he won't clear until 4/5. Then the bastard goes out and pitches lights out and ESPN blows him up.

And on top of it, my late round pick (10-11th round) Pedro, blows out him hammy. He's on my team still, but Scott Kazmir gets the DL spot on one of my teams, Granderson the other spot. for now. I was hoping to fill it with Cueto. What luck!!!

It's too early in the season to drop a Pedro Martinez for a Zach Grienke or Andrew Miller or Matt Garza. Yeah, he gets hurt often, but when he gets healthy, it would be ridiculous to say his ERA will be 4.20 or more. The dude knows how to pitch. Plus, the Mets will win a lot of games. He's still good for a low-mid 3.00s ERA, low WHIP, wins, and the occasional 7 K game. Johan's presence takes a lot of pressure off of Pedro. He'll get approx. 20 starts this year. That's the Pedro dilemna.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I recommend you to take Zack Greinke as fast as you can, that kid came up as the best prospect and last year he had a pretty good year but nobody noticed.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I was able to grab Johnny Cueto in 2 of my 4 leagues, once the waivers cleared. I got Edison Volquez on all 4 teams. Great hunches so far, huh?

If you haven't noticed yet, Carlos Gomez of Santiago, DR is off to a great start for the Twins. I got him on all 4 of my teams as well.