Ferry from Santo Domingo fire onboard

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The fire made me nervous. Hitting the ferry terminal sealed the deal. MAYBE when it runs incident free for a few years.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
The crash was amazing!!!! Working with boats everyday in my business here I can't believe this happened. I would be very carful about going on this ferry. There are definitely big problems with this boat/line/business..... cuidado!!!!!!!!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Also been around boats all my life. You do not just fun into the dock. This is a passenger vessel. People's lives are at stake. It's not an accident, it's gross negligence. In the real world when people die in incidents like this it's negligent homicide and people go to jail. Here??????. We will see

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Includes some video taken from the air.

[video=youtube;AExb8O4q70A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AExb8O4q70A[/video]

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Too bad the article doesn't give any indication as to how the pilot boats or the pilot screwed up the mooring procedure. Ordinarily, ships are docked by government pilots and tugs or pilot boats and I'm fairly certain it's no different here as in any other port. I did see a video that showed two tugs assisting with the mooring.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Too bad the article doesn't give any indication as to how the pilot boats or the pilot screwed up the mooring procedure. Ordinarily, ships are docked by government pilots and tugs or pilot boats and I'm fairly certain it's no different here as in any other port. I did see a video that showed two tugs assisting with the mooring.

Just for the sake of good order, clarification and prevention of speculation, there is no need for any indication concerning the port pilot. The ferry had been successfully berthed and safely secured alongside the pier and pilot disembarked.....the incident happened 16 minutes later so no involvement or responsibility of pilot and no tug boats involved.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Just for the sake of good order, clarification and prevention of speculation, there is no need for any indication concerning the port pilot. The ferry had been successfully berthed and safely secured alongside the pier and pilot disembarked.....the incident happened 16 minutes later so no involvement or responsibility of pilot and no tug boats involved.

Thank you for the clarification as there has been nothing that I have seen stating the circumstances regarding the incident or to the issues or causes surrounding it. Could you possibly​ support your statement with a reference or link as to where you received this information​?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Thank you for the clarification as there has been nothing that I have seen stating the circumstances regarding the incident or to the issues or causes surrounding it. Could you possibly​ support your statement with a reference or link as to where you received this information​?

It's what I do for a living, for the last 50 years or so.....

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It's what I do for a living, for the last 50 years or so.....

I am a Captain as well which is why I was interested. After your post, I dug around a little a found that they attribute the incident to lines failing when the cargo ramp was being lowered and that the ship was only partially secured to the dock allowing the current to become a factor. Thank you for responding to my initial post pilot.
https://www.google.com.ag/amp/www.d...icle-4522868/amp/A-FERRY-close-encounter.html

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I am a Captain as well which is why I was interested. After your post, I dug around a little a found that they attribute the incident to lines failing when the cargo ramp was being lowered and that the ship was only partially secured to the dock allowing the current to become a factor. Thank you for responding to my initial post pilot.
https://www.google.com.ag/amp/www.d...icle-4522868/amp/A-FERRY-close-encounter.html

I am not a master mariner or a pilot only, inter alia, a professional maritime accident investigator. Nothing that I have seen in the media, local or international, or on the Internet as to the cause has any real basis. None of the investigating parties/authorities has placed their findings in the public domain as yet, which makes the stories in the media little more than conjecture to say the least.

I am, however always interested in meeting people of a maritime background living in the DR, if you are interested, please PM me and let me know your location, experience etc.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I only hold a 50 ton license sir, and I'm just a simple captain of our own vessel. I'm an engineer by trade and design, install, and operate desalination systems for islands and resorts throughout the Caribbean. We call Puerto Plata home but have lived aboard sailing and working in the Caribbean for the past 20+ years. Again I appreciate your candidness in setting the record straight regarding this ferry incident. Maybe now people will have an easier feeling travelling to PR on the ferry knowing the truth as to the cause and that negligence played no part in it.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Maybe now people will have an easier feeling travelling to PR on the ferry knowing the truth as to the cause and that negligence played no part in it.

No negligence? I call it "lack of due diligence". It is common practice to be completely moored before using ship's cranes, booms, ramps, etc. All lines are normally doubled up and secured- especially when moving heavy loads, or strong tidal currents/weather can be expected. In the video, lines appeared to be "singled-up" and not all secured. that's why the line(s) appeared to have parted. This was an avoidable incident.

Before lowering the door/ramp the command should have been: "Double up and secure" and upon securing the lines, the command "Secure the main engines"....the captain then can leave the bridge.

Ship_Mooring_Lines.jpg

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
No negligence? I call it "lack of due diligence". It is common practice to be completely moored before using ship's cranes, booms, ramps, etc. All lines are normally doubled up and secured- especially when moving heavy loads, or strong tidal currents/weather can be expected. In the video, lines appeared to be "singled-up" and not all secured. that's why the line(s) appeared to have parted. This was an avoidable incident.

Before lowering the door/ramp the command should have been: "Double up and secure" and upon securing the lines, the command "Secure the main engines"....the captain then can leave the bridge.

Ship_Mooring_Lines.jpg

I am sure they sold lines B to G the night before...