Few questions on DR Dating Scene & 3 Date Rule.

Dec 24, 2022
Santo Domingo
Hey all. I'm a American born Dominican who speaks pretty fluent Spanish with a terrible American accent. I'm currently in the DR and I'm trying to get a grasp of how things work here more in depth. How are women in the DR different then women from the U.S? Is there a difference between women from Santo Domingo compared to more rural areas? And regarding the general 3 date rule in the U.S, is there something similar to that here or do people generally do stuff after the first date or after the first month or 6 months or how is that exactly?

Also, I think this forum is mostly filled with guys, don't know why I think that, just a hunch, so this question might be a uhhh weird one, but I kind of wanted to know more of the whole dynamic of DR.. kind of like, where do I stand socially?... How do women see me? And I thought the way I could answer that was by getting a list of common Dominican men archetypes, getting a list of common Dominican women archetypes and seeing where I fall there?... Or am I doing too much? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No but really, I am really curious how people see me and where do I stand in the society.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Well from a woman's point of view, you have to go pretty high up the social ladder to find a Dominican guy who expects to wait until the third date. Hell most Dominican guys think that if you dance with them a second time then that definitely means that you are going home with them, even if you've just met them. Sex is far more freely available in DR, not seen as such a big thing.

It's important to recognise that as a foreigner, a part of your attraction will be your money and your passport. I think it's fair to say that most Dominicans (at least most that I know) think that dating a foreigner is a far better idea than dating a Dominican. And my strategy is always to try and let things calm down, get them to realise that you're a person too, you have your faults, dreams, needs, habits. Not just a bank account and a passport. I find I have to be pretty insistent that sex isn't going to happen until I'm ready, I get a lot of "Dios tu 'ta complicada" comments but it's worth it.

There are plenty of women on here by the way, I'd say about half. It's easy to spot us, we are the ones making the calm and sensible posts.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There are plenty of women on here by the way, I'd say about half. It's easy to spot us, we are the ones making the calm and sensible posts.
Was this addendum to your thoughtful response...really necessary? You should try painting with a smaller brush, the kind that paints "trim and the finer parts of the house".:)

Reactions: jd426 and Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hey all. I'm a American born Dominican who speaks pretty fluent Spanish with a terrible American accent. I'm currently in the DR and I'm trying to get a grasp of how things work here more in depth. How are women in the DR different then women from the U.S? Is there a difference between women from Santo Domingo compared to more rural areas? And regarding the general 3 date rule in the U.S, is there something similar to that here or do people generally do stuff after the first date or after the first month or 6 months or how is that exactly?

Also, I think this forum is mostly filled with guys, don't know why I think that, just a hunch, so this question might be a uhhh weird one, but I kind of wanted to know more of the whole dynamic of DR.. kind of like, where do I stand socially?... How do women see me? And I thought the way I could answer that was by getting a list of common Dominican men archetypes, getting a list of common Dominican women archetypes and seeing where I fall there?... Or am I doing too much? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No but really, I am really curious how people see me and where do I stand in the society.
You don't know REY per chance ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How are women in the DR different then women from the U.S?
Easier, even the feminist tend to be not like many feminist in the USA (wanting respect from men vs wanting to be above men in everything), more laid back, not as stuffy.

Is there a difference between women from Santo Domingo compared to more rural areas?
Yes.

And regarding the general 3 date rule in the U.S, is there something similar to that here or do people generally do stuff after the first date or after the first month or 6 months or how is that exactly?
Easier.

where do I stand socially?...
If you speak Spanish with a nom-Dominican accent you will be seen as a foreigner even if you are of Dominican descent. In this case it's similar to the Venezuelans since most look like Dominicans of all types and you will think they are one until the start to speak. With that said, once it's known you are of Dominican descent you will notice a different treatment vs how other foreigners are treated, still different if you were DR born and raised but not how Gringos are treated. In a way you will be treated closer, if that makes sense. Overall it will be a positive experience.

How do women see me?
There really are two types of women. The realized professional types / from very good economic background and even many middle class women will not give you the time of day. The ones that do more often are not those types. Again, there is a difference between the treatment a "foreigner of Dominican descent" gets vs a "Gringo foreigner," so even there you will be given access to, for lack of a better word, to situations or will be accepted in certain situations much faster than usually are Gringos aren't unless they become very familiar or trustworthy. If you have family in the DR ir many family friends are still in the country even if the entire family moved to the USA, suddenly you become "so-and-so's son or so-and-so cousin" and that's how you will be introduced. Based on how good the reputation is of "so-and-so," you will receive an accepting treatment from the start. If their reputation is extremely good, immediately you will notice people will give you an even more special treatment, sort of as if you were famous in a way. Even getting into certain clubs which can be picky with who they let in, you become "so-and-so's son" and they don't even check your ID or anything, you simply go in even skip the line. If you look very much like "so-and-so" no one have to say you are his/her son, cousi , whatever; they look at you and they know. Many women will be available for you, even the ones that hardly give their time of day to guys living in their neighborhood and who have shown them interest since years ago.

Like everything there are exceptions.

That is simply the way it is.

Reactions: 945463531

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you wait for the 3rd date before moving you won't even get a 3rd date...........

Reactions: David B

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You didnt give your age.

I have found that anybody above 25-30 that is not married/in-a-couple has no chance of finding a partner. Will sex be available ? yes.
But dominicanas will think you have some sort of problem or issue if you are single.
Case in point, to get married in the DR, you need a document to prove you are not married.
All well and good if you are divorced, as that document will do. But near impossible when--- like me--you had never been married.
I had to get a notary paper, with witnesses, and swear on my honour that i wasnt married.....like wtf ?

Once you are in couple, or married, it seems women are very, very available, much more so than in europe ( and I am guessing the US ).
Infidelity is seen very differently than back home. Its kind of an accepted way of life ( yes, yes there are exceptions ..... i know i am married 🤣🤣🤣🤣).

Last edited by a moderator:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You didnt give your age.

I have found that anybody above 25-39 that is not married/in-a-couple has no chance of finding a partner. Will sex be available ? yes.
But dominicanas will think you have some sort of problem or issue if you are single.
Case in point, to get married in the DR, you need a document to prove you are not married.
All well and good if you are divorced, as that document will do. But near impossible when--- like me--you had never been married.
I had to get a notary paper, with witnesses, and swear on my honour that i wasnt married.....like wtf ?

Once you are in couple, or married, it seems women are very, very available, much more so than in europe ( and I am guessing the US ).
Infidelity is seen very differently than back home. Its kind of an accepted way of life ( yes, yes there are exceptions ..... i know i am married 🤣🤣🤣🤣).

25-30..... not 39

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is by far the most promiscuous country I've ever traveled to or lived in and I've been to quite a few.
My take?
Sex is like a hand shake down here. Come down, have a good time and go home happy with with a few stories to tell.

Dec 24, 2022
Santo Domingo
I usually get to THIRD Base on the First Date ... but you have to be careful, Girls have Cooties ..
This is by far the most promiscuous country I've ever traveled to or lived in and I've been to quite a few.
My take?
Sex is like a hand shake down here. Come down, have a good time and go home happy with with a few stories to tell.

@jd426 @CristoRey Haha but is this really the case for nearly everyone in the country? Say you're a regular 19, 20, 21 year old with a regular job, regular looks etc... if you ask out the 19 year old hottie and she says yes, you mean you're almost guaranteed to bang her at the end of first date? or does this only apply if you are American/have some kind of money/some type of status/etc?