Filtering Water

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well three links point to nothing about water and one to one that shows you that you need UV to sterilize water with the filters as well. Not sure the point you are making but if you want to post links to facts post complete links to facts.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Mr. Rick, it's all there.

ricktoronto said:
Well three links point to nothing about water and one to one that shows you that you need UV to sterilize water with the filters as well. Not sure the point you are making but if you want to post links to facts post complete links to facts.

Did you take the time to read it all? I think not. crearly it shows how it's done and what the results are. In each you must find the link to "solar water purification system". Sorry, I don't know how to get you there directly

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You go to the page and when you are there you copy the URL from the address area at the top of the browser and then paste it in the message. Anyway, feel free to drink river water heated in a rooftop still to 120 F.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Don Juan said:
. According to one, efficiency is 99% purity.
There's no necessity to heat water higher than that.
That's good to know that I would be drinking 99% pure water and 1% inpurity. How many % does it need to kill me?

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Pure Bolshie-ness!

Even though many respondents get a bit bolshie about everybody else's replies and information, the net result is a wealth of information from which the rest of us can glean the truth.

Good going you lot!

bdaric.......

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mr. Spencer, It is clear from the interesting references you have provided that routine and frequent exquisite maintenance cleaning of the filter and associated pipes, spouts is necessary to provide optimum quality of filtered water, which even then still contains some pathogens. It is apparent that future modifications of the system may improve it to the point when it could be very useful in countries where "mainterance" us unheard of. Very interesting. Canadian Bob.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
As reported in today's DR1 news:

Canadian woman wins award for DR project

Jan Tollefson has been granted the Lee Endowment for Global Freshwater award for her work in the DR to construct and install water filters. Tollefson, from Calgary in Canada has spent the last eight years helping integrate BioSand water filter technology to provide clean drinking water in the DR. She taught Dominicans to build simple concrete containers filled with layers of sand and gravel that remove impurities from water. She also worked to support small business development in the DR and set up the Add Your Light Foundation in Calgary to coordinate fundraising for a variety of projects.
http://www.globalfreshwater.org/legf/

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
And in the vein of this thread...

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=99$1404000000$3140916&f=20051011
La Unesco presenta un filtro de agua que salvará muchas vidas
Se espera que ayude a reducir el nivel de arsénico del líquido

PARÍS (EFE).— La Unesco anunció ayer la creación de un filtro de agua “anti-arsénico”, “fácil de usar y poco costoso” y que “puede contribuir a salvar decenas de millones de vidas” en cualquier país del mundo.

El aparato, que utiliza arena envuelta en óxido de hierro, fue concebido por el instituto Unesco-IHE para una educación global relativa al agua, indicó la organización en un comunicado.

El filtro no necesita electricidad ni conocimientos especiales y “puede ser fabricado localmente a precios extremadamente bajos”, argumentó la organización.

Según la Organización Mundial de la Salud (OMS), la fuerte concentración de arsénico en el agua afecta gravemente la salud de poblaciones de un gran número de países, especialmente China, la India, Estados Unidos y Bangladesh, donde la situación en este sentido es “particularmente preocupante y alarmante”.

L

LarrySpencer

Keith R said:
And in the vein of this thread...

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=99$1404000000$3140916&f=20051011

this add is esentially the same as those found in the links I posted. Thanks for providing it in spanish.

Bob...thanks for the acknowledgement. and think just how much more healthy it is for the residents of cities like Dajabon to drink this water rather than the muddy water that comes out of their spouts on days like today....the day after it rains. Remember, most of these people can't afford the units, therefore Jan's group is working on getting donations and installing them in the houses. these same people also could afford the cost of buying the bottled water everyday either, so they just resorted to drinking the water and taking their chances.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Larry, rainwater could be a great source of water supply. In Bermuda, where the roofs must be whitewashed every year, rainwater is funneled down into large cisterns under each building. In the DR, rainwater just moves the street garbage around. In Costambar the roof rainwater regularly fills my cistern. Unfortunately most Dominicans waste huge amounts of water. Canadian Bob.

L

LarrySpencer

canadian bob said:
Larry, rainwater could be a great source of water supply. In Bermuda, where the roofs must be whitewashed every year, rainwater is funneled down into large cisterns under each building. In the DR, rainwater just moves the street garbage around. In Costambar the roof rainwater regularly fills my cistern. Unfortunately most Dominicans waste huge amounts of water. Canadian Bob.

I agree with you Bob, It would be great to see more rainwater collection systems. However, to make it completely potable, it still requires some filtering, boiling, etc, because if you have been paying attention to the post in Needless Dominican Deaths there is so much pollution in the air. I'm sure that since there is so much that it has certainly reached the clouds and contaminated the rain!

How is your cistern positioned so that it may collect the rainwater? Do you have a split-surface roof, or is your cistern just above gound level?

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
LarrySpencer said:
I agree with you Bob, It would be great to see more rainwater collection systems. However, to make it completely potable, it still requires some filtering, boiling, etc, because if you have been paying attention to the post in Needless Dominican Deaths there is so much pollution in the air. I'm sure that since there is so much that it has certainly reached the clouds and contaminated the rain!
Sarcasm duly noted. :tired: But as a self-proclaimed environment writer, you must know all too well that even if the Dominican air was pristine that there should be filtration for any rain catchment system to eliminate any other possible contaminants (including things as simple as dirt and twigs), and possibly supplemented by home water treatment, before it should be considered fully potable.

L

LarrySpencer

Keith R said:
Sarcasm duly noted. :tired: But as a self-proclaimed environment writer, you must know all too well that even if the Dominican air was pristine that there should be filtration for any rain catchment system to eliminate any other possible contaminants (including things as simple as dirt and twigs), and possibly supplemented by home water treatment, before it should be considered fully potable.

Clearly....and this is where a biofilter can come in handy.

Self Proclaimed writer.....Textbooks dealing with Water and Energy conservation, press releases, sales materials and an ocassional newsletter, grant, award

L

LarrySpencer

Thank you. If you're interested, look up WaterWise™, LivingWise®, and EnergyWise®. In addition, this year we came up with WaterWise® Outdoors. Our programs are used widely throughout the United States, with the majority of the programs in Texas, Colorado, and I'm almost afraid to mention it, California, which is absolutely nothing like the Dominican Republic and should never be compared as such. I wrote that on the blackboard 5,000 times! And as a writer, I should never write anything without having all the facts....I'm still working on that one....I'm up to about 3,476 times right now!

Thanks for the help Keith.

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Bermuda Roofs and Bottled water

Its true here in Bermuda we drink water from the tanks under our houses which is collected from the roofs.

20 years ago there was no bottled water to speak of and we drank the water from the tap, pumped up from the tank.
A drop of clorox was enough to keep harmful bacteria from giving us the runs.
The tanks would be cleaned out from time to time to clear out lizards frogs bugs etc. and any algae build up. Its amazing what could be in the water but gave little ill effects.

Humans are a complex synergy of bacteria and cells, proteins etc.
Don't we adapt to our surroundings to a cetain extent?
I'm sure if Western man were to try to eat some foods say an African or Amazon tribesman ate we would suffer for it initially as our internal bacteria, in the gut, would not be equipped to deal with it.

I remember in Britain there are "sewage works" you can see them from the train. These farms would treat the sewage in a series of different tanks with filtering sand and different brews of bacteria until finally it produced potable water. I guarantee there would be so many parts per million of some bacteria still in the water, but it would not be a problem to anyones stomach.
After a tour of the facility, the guide would go to a tap in the last tank and draw off a glass of sparkling clear water and offer to the crowd who invariably would turn it down and he'd knock it back no problem.

There are more Reverse Osmosis plants here now and promises to build more in due course.
Are there any in DR?
What about desalination plants?

Bottled water is OK but I think folks have gotten rich over something we didn't seem to need until someone thought it up.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
LarrySpencer said:

How is your cistern positioned so that it may collect the rainwater? Do you have a split-surface roof, or is your cistern just above gound level?

The roof runoff is just channeled from gutters to the below-ground cistern. I don't drink it. Sorry for the confusion. We drink bottled water like everyone except the Haitians who seem to be able to tolerate untreated tap-water. Canadian Bob.