Finally used some of my Dominican Vanilla yummm!!

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I remembered this thread when I was in DR and was looking for vanilla. I imagined pure Dominican vanilla would be falling off the grocery store shelves. All I found was vanilla extract with (gasp!) with some type of corn syrup added. I usually use Morton and Bassett from the US, but thought I could pick up a less expensive Dominican brand while visiting.

Can you get pure vanilla in DR (Santo Domingo in particular) without visiting expensive specialty stores?

CJ

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DR Vanilla

There is something special about Dominican vanilla even if it is artificial. People have told me that it is less greasy and is great for cakes. Its often on the visiters shopping list of items that must be bought besides the usual rum cigars ect..
Vanilla is grown here as i have a plant or vine myself. It is family of Orchids. the climate here is ideal. The reason its so expensive is the preparation of the pods. They need to be carefully dried so they dont loose the taste. Its a slow process that requires alot of attention. I have not heard of any commercial operations but would be very interested of any if there are.

Rie

Mar 2, 2008
Hi - Another question about vanilla: Does anyone know anything about "Industrias Doncel Ext. Vainilla Blanca" produced I think in San Fco. de Macoris, R.D. or "Extracto De Vainilla" made for ESTRELLA DE ORO in Santiago, R.D. Both are white vanilla. I am trying to find out if either of these contain corn products or coumadin. Can anyone help me?

BMW1967

Jul 11, 2011
Purchasing Vanilla from the DR.

Hello and how are you? I had once visited D.R. 3 years ago, and I am trying to find some connection on how to purchase the "original" vanilla by Chez and Brug.

I appreciate any responses.

Thank you.

Hello after several trips to Dominican and trying several pastels with Dominican Vainilla(as it is spelled on the bottle) and Dominican azucar, I finally had a chance to use the Vanillia I bought.I got the blanco from Chez And Brug S. A.?? this Vanilla is the best I have ever tasted and added so much to my recipe. a little goes a long way ! I consider it the best and it is the only I have tasted from the Island ! any others out there as good?

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had seen a wine in my friends house and they told me that they have it for years and had never seed a pod and they were surprised when I said vanilla necessarily be pollinated artificially. I never know any commercial vanilla farms in DR.