First time traveling alone

Kevy

May 24, 2005
;) I have just broken with my fiance and have booked up a two week Ai in DR playa dorada Hotel Occidental Allegro and this is my first ever trip outside Europe.
I am from London and not very street wise.even though i should be by now!
Having read many of the posts on here it seems certain places are a little crazy?

Do you always get hassle on the streets with hookers?I dont do hookers!!
excuse the expresssion. lol :eek:
Is there anything I need to be carful of?

Is there a crime problem?

I have been told there are mostly couples and honeymooners not many singles is this true?

I hope to hire a motorbike and go alone is this safe?

Sorry people for so many Q,s but am a little nervous thanks for any replies.

Kevy

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Kevy

I am female so can't comment on the hookers however I can answer a few of your other concerns.

I have stayed at Playa Dorada three times and it's a very safe place so no need to worry about street crime there. It's a large complex consisting of 14 hotels and has 24 hour security a both entrances......not because its unsafe but just to keep an eye on those people who enter.

As for mostly couples/honeymooners - I wouldn't say so - you get allsorts and definitely lots of singles too so you will have a great time - no worries there. There are many bars/clubs to visit in the complex where you will find plenty single people, both tourists and locals too. Hemingways, Roadway, Crazy Moon & Mangu to name a few - all worth a visit.

Your hotel will also most likely have arranged trips to clubs outside of the resort - often they go into Sosua which is the next town along (about 20 mins away).

A few tips:

Change your english pounds to US dollars in the UK before you leave - take advantage of the strong ? and then change to pesos when you get here.

I can definitely recommend the quad bike tour....they take you through sugar cane fields and through tiny villages where you get to meet the locals.....you also stop off a the beach ...the best trip I did (in my opinion) Take some sweets for the kids - they will be very grateful :)

Make sure you get to see some of the world outside of the resort - take a trip into the town.....on some Saturdays they have live music and dancing in the square....

There is a pub crawl which leaves every Wednesday and Saturday from Cafe Cito which is located just outside of the Playa Dorada complex (turn right towards the town and you will find it on your left hand side). The crawl includes food at the restaurant and then drinks all the way on the bus - stops in Puerto Plata for cocktails at the old fort by the seafront then onto a dominican car wash - next stop Sosua and finally Cabarette. Lots of singles to be met there - I personally have not been on the is tour however I have heard that its great and I will be going myself in July.....heres a link for more info: http://www.popreport.com/CC2/Index.htm

If I think of anything else I will add it later

The only thing you have to worry about is enjoying yourself!

Have a great trip and let us know how you get on when you're back
Daydream ;)

Kevy said:
;) I have just broken with my fiance and have booked up a two week Ai in DR playa dorada Hotel Occidental Allegro and this is my first ever trip outside Europe.
I am from London and not very street wise.even though i should be by now!
Having read many of the posts on here it seems certain places are a little crazy?

Do you always get hassle on the streets with hookers?I dont do hookers!!
excuse the expresssion. lol :eek:
Is there anything I need to be carful of?

Is there a crime problem?

I have been told there are mostly couples and honeymooners not many singles is this true?

I hope to hire a motorbike and go alone is this safe?

Sorry people for so many Q,s but am a little nervous thanks for any replies.

Kevy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Daydream:

You should be named an " Official Guide" for POP. that was an outstanding series of recommendations.

Let's hope the poor bloke takes advantage of them to heal his broken heart.

HB :p:p

Kevy

May 24, 2005
Thanks DAYDREAM

;) :lick: Thanks for that info Dont worry I am ok over the split ;) that leaves me old free and single to meet loads of nice people and have a great time.

As for the Bike tour I prefer getting my own bike and getting around all the places of interest.

I am going next Weds and I will try most of the night spots Daydream suggested, probably all of them!!!!

Thank you for those tips Daydream xxx

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Bike rental:

I live and work in Puerto Plata. I drive a car here and every single day I take my life in my hands.

I would NEVER recommend renting a motorcycle (that is what you mean I believe) and going around on your own. They drive like maniacs here!!!! IT is completely unsafe to do this!!!!

I will also send you a PM

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
If you rent a motorcycle you'll fit right in, half if the Dominicans drive on the wrong side of the road too!

In all seriousness, I've rented them before in the DR and have not had any problems. What you do need to understand is that a motorcycle is at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to use of the roads in the DR. A two lane road can become 4, 5 or 6 lanes of traffic in an instant. Also they have pot holes big enough to swallow an MG.

The bottom line here is if that?s what you want to do, just do it, but be careful and drive defensively.