First Trip to DR in April

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Hi! I found this forum through a tripadvisor link, and I've already found some great info here. We just decided to visit the DR, and we leave in about 3 weeks. So, any helpful info is very much appreciated!! I only know what i've read in the last couple of days.
We fly into SDQ, and we're staying at the Holiday Inn Santo Domingo for five nights. The room is free with my points, and it looks nice. Any pointers on interesting things to do within walking distance or nice little restaurants. We enjoy exploring, but I don't want to end up anywhere that we may not be... welcome, shall we say.
We are a family of four with two teen boys. We aren't interested in the beaches very much, because we live at the beach. We'd love to see them, but that's about it. We are very interested in a tour from Santa Domingo into the countryside, however. Any suggestions?
I read some pretty intimidating airport stories on a thread here. I've had one less than pleasant experience entering England, but that's it. Do we pay some sort of entry visa fee and an exit fee in the DR? I'm really unclear on that, and I don't want to be uninformed.
I'll have plenty more questions later, but these should get me started. Thanks in advance for any help!
Angela

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa! First things, first: You should know that from March 28 until April 5 is Easter Week here. And it is NOT a time of contemplating the suffering and sacrifice of our Saviour. Here it is a time of going to the beach or the mountians for a week of Party!! Booze, music (except for Friday afternoon) and partying are the only three words that come to mind.

SO, if you are coming during that time frame, you should know that Santo Domingo will be almost a ghost town...If not, then you will find Santo Domingo one of the most fibrant cities in the Western Hemisphere.

What to see and do: Botanical Gardens, Colonial Zone, a walk along El Conde will take a day and an half. A ride on the Metro and a visit to the Plaza de la Cultura will take a half a day.

There are tons of threads here on what to do at night in Santo Domingo.

You might want to do that trip to Jarabacoa by Caribe Tours and then spend a night at Rancho Baiguate and do their river rafting and horseback tours...I think it would be a bit much to try in a single day...

HB

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks to you both! We'll be there April 4 through the 9th, so we'll get to experience the city with a hangover. :D
Los Tres Ojos looks pretty interesting. Should we take a bus or a taxi to that?
We definitely want to see the Colonial Zone and the Botanical Gardens.
Jarabacoa sounds great, but I was hoping to find a tour a bit closer to Santo Domingo.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
kktraveler, Thanks for that link! I just finished reading there.

I know that the taxi ride from SDQ to the city is $40 USD, but I'm still unclear about the visitor visa cost. I read about it on another site. Someone said it costs $15 USD to enter the DR and then there is a fee to leave??
Can someone help me with this?

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Change of plans! We'll now be spending our first two nights in Bayahibe. I booked two tours with Seavis that depart from there. The owner pointed out how early we'd have to leave SD, in order to get to Bayahibe by the 8:30 tour departure times. We're doing the Saona and the Safari tours, and we'll head to SD on Tuesday evening.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tourist Card to enter DR for non-Dominicans is $10/US, no charge to leave, it's built into your plane ticket. They used to charge an exit fee, I can't remember if it was $10 or $20 a person, but now...nothing, unless you over stay the 30 day tourist card.

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
evrytime i leave the dr i have to pay the $20 fee because i fly with sunwing some airlinrs include it id you are getting package.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can't yoou fly into La Romana??? That's a godawful trip at 5 in the morning.
If you can;t get a flight to La Romana, you'll have to taxi to Bayahibe upon arrival and that is costly!!! Ouch....

HB

May 29, 2006
The last time I was at a botanical garden there was over 20 years ago. There were Zebra butterflies were everywhere at the time:

ngc509.jpg

Are there any orchid museums in the DR??

Last edited:

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
AlterEgo and davethebodyguard, Thanks! I've read in some places that it is now $15 to enter. We are flying Delta, so hopefully the exit fee is included. I just want to be sure.

PeterInBrat, That's lovely! I visited the Botanical Gardens in Washington, DC a few years ago, and loved it. I look forward to seeing those in SD.

Hillbilly, I booked what Delta had on sale. What can I say? I've never been known for looking very long before I leap! :pirate:
Now, I just have to figure out what to do, in a rather bassackwards fashion. So, we are definitely flying into SDQ on Sunday, April 4. We are definitely booked for excursions leaving Bayahibe on Monday the 5th and Tuesday the 6th. I have a "free" room at the Holiday Inn Santo Domingo booked.
Should I go from the airport to SD, spend the night, take a taxi to Bayahibe at 6 a.m. on Moday morning, then spend just Moday night in Bayaribe - returning to SD on Tuesday evening?
OR: Should we go directly to Bayahibe upon arrival at SDQ, spending two nights, paying for rooms there, and then returning to SD on Tuesday evening? I'm sooo confused!
Dre, Thanks for trying to help! I may need you yet. ;)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
AlterEgo and davethebodyguard, Thanks! I've read in some places that it is now $15 to enter. We are flying Delta, so hopefully the exit fee is included. I just want to be sure.
...........)

10 US$ cash per person to enter. This will buy you Tourist Cards.

No cash required to exit, unless you overstay your tourist visa, which I think is 30 days.

vivile

Apr 1, 2009
Hello,

I don't have any contact information but for sure you should do some excursion such as the "parque los Haitises" which is a National Park and you can see the local jungle and caves with Tainos (orginal inhabitants) drawings. (2h one way)
Some agencies also propose trips to visit coffee, sugar and cacao plantations.
There is also an area called Barahona which is very natural (low touristical or any kind of development) where they are Natural Parks where you can see huge Iguanas...

So there is plenty to do also outside Sto Domingo without going to the beach, but I am sorry I don't have any contact....

Vivile

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
im a little confused why you are choosing to go to an island if you arent interested in the sea- maybe its just me !

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
im a little confused why you are choosing to go to an island if you arent interested in the sea- maybe its just me !

It's a big island, not as big as the island call South American or North American but there is plenty to see and do that's not ocean related. My wife is Dominican and the beach holds little appeal to her.

eventplanner2

Apr 1, 2010
Educational Cultural Family -Oriented Excursions

Hi Angela,
I have emailed you about some educational fun family oriented excursions from Santo Domingo---American Volunteer (my son) helps develop the trips and summer camp program.

Centro Cultural Guanin, Inc.

Have a great trip...