flying my dog

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Did see a guy flying with a german shepard last time i flew. this was in the cabin had it sitting on floor kind of! this was on delta

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I looked up the rules on getting a dog registered as a service dog and it seems that you can get a certificate online just by declaring the dog as such.
No rules have been formalized according to the site I saw.
So check it out online and write up your service dog certificate and run with that.
Der Fish

I've heard about this service dog "scam", too. A pilot friend of mine even told me about it. Apparently, quite a few people are starting to do it.

One woman I know took her 50 lb dog in the cabin to Canada through Miami claiming it was an "emotional support dog". Just when you thought flying couldn't get any worse - a cabin full of dogs!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I would prefer a cabin with dogs over some of the people I have flown with on American Airlines flights to the DR. But then again I really like dogs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do people have to buy a seat for these dogs? Where would one put a big dog ???? I'm picturing showing up with my 120 pound rottie. Imagining her sitting quietly for 3.5 hours. Not.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is almost as bad as the miracle flights from STI to MIA on AA. When you load up in STI there are 20 or more Dominicans needing wheel chair assistance and loading on first along with 5 "family" members. Then when you land in MIA all but two walk off. The flight crew calls it the Miracle flight.

Bob K

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Spoke with AA. Deal is they check temperatures and if it's too hot you do not go and they "try to accommodate you on a later flight", no extra charges. The word "try" makes me nervous.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Do people have to buy a seat for these dogs? Where would one put a big dog ???? I'm picturing showing up with my 120 pound rottie. Imagining her sitting quietly for 3.5 hours. Not.

And would need a nappy lol......  #marks his territory 9 times between STI and MIA# 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It is almost as bad as the miracle flights from STI to MIA on AA. When you load up in STI there are 20 or more Dominicans needing wheel chair assistance and loading on first along with 5 "family" members. Then when you land in MIA all but two walk off. The flight crew calls it the Miracle flight.

Bob K

There's a trade off with JetBlue SDQ-JFK. At SDQ, yes they are the first ones on, but at JFK, they are the last ones off.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Spoke with AA. Deal is they check temperatures and if it's too hot you do not go and they "try to accommodate you on a later flight", no extra charges. The word "try" makes me nervous.

I think AA only flies pets into SDQ as well (that was the case when I brought my cat, and I had 24 hours to retrieve him). Ended up using United PetSafe, even though I flew Frontier. United PetSafe had a climate-controlled container for pets, so the temp guideline wasn't an issue.

The other option is the "emotional support animal" scam. Because of the ADA, airlines really can't challenge you too much, since there aren't universal guidelines yet. It's almost as easy as being ordained over the internet.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just my luck. A rabbit in the running for the world's largest rabbit died today on a United flight. Apparently it was a valuable rabbit. Had it checked by a vet three hours before the flight and it was fit as a fiddle.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
AA, only into SDQ? That could be an extra pain. We live on North Coast and want POP. I will call tomorrow. Thanks

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There's a trade off with JetBlue SDQ-JFK. At SDQ, yes they are the first ones on, but at JFK, they are the last ones off.
No I understand that and know from first hand experience as I had to fly back home to the DR in a wheelchair a few years back after a serious accident in the US. I was talking about the ones who wheel chair on in order to board first and a "cured"' on the flight and walk off when the plane lands.

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Zoom
I'm pretty sure any AA flight will take an accompanied pet....
Have done POP in the past... several years ago.

The poster may be talking a cargo shipment....unaccompanied

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No I understand that and know from first hand experience as I had to fly back home to the DR in a wheelchair a few years back after a serious accident in the US. I was talking about the ones who wheel chair on in order to board first and a "cured"' on the flight and walk off when the plane lands.

Bob K

I need to use a wheelchair in airports because of my damaged leg and mobility problems. I encountered the climate of the "miracle cure" on an AA flight.

Typically, because of my usual final destination, I don't fly AA. However, a year ago I had to make a very quick trip to the US to attend my oldest brother's funeral and the best routing was to travel to SD by Metro Bus and fly direct on AA to Philadelphia.

As we were preparing to land, the flight attendant asked me if I would need a wheelchair after arrival. I had never encountered this before (usually fly either Jet Blue or United) and was more than a bit surprised. I was so tempted to ask her if I looked like I had received a miracle cure while in flight, but restrained myself and just said that I would need one.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
AA, only into SDQ? That could be an extra pain. We live on North Coast and want POP. I will call tomorrow. Thanks

That's what I was told when I moved here with my cat. Hopefully for you that has changed. And given the flexibility of the emotional support BS, you probably could have an emotional support puppy.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Bob K

I hear ya. My last flight to New York from SDQ had 43 individual wheelchair entries for roughly 150 seated passengers. I mention individual because it was not as there was a group traveling together. These were all individual travelers. They resembled an old wagon train, spreading out through the gate area for as far as the eye could see. The majority under the age of about 50. A bit much? I understand some people have ailments and/or conditions, for them, I wouldn't mind letting them on and off the plane first. Upon arrival as well, I could wait......BUT, when it comes to the smugglers, oh, I mean scammers. I have zero patience for them, but such is life.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hope this isn't so far off topic that I get shot for it, but what about cats? We've had several flying dog threads lately, but presently I am flying from ATL to Medellin Colombia. A kitten wandered into my mom's yard a month ago and I brought it into the house. My mother hasn't allowed cats in her house since never. I remember crying for one when I was 5 or 6 years old, but never. So I took in this cat, do cats fly as do dogs in a crate at my feet? Instead of a "personal item" Do I shove her under the seat in front of me? I have called all 45 or more nieces and nephews and nobody wants her. From too much Dominican sun I have developed basal cell carcinoma on my face and back. I tried some to get info on how it is cared for in the DR, but did get a response back from Colombia an ex-employee of mine says his mother had one taken off her face for the equivalent of $19.00 USD. Colombia is where I had triple bypass surgery on my heart, and hemorrhoid surgery as well as lazic eye surgery. So may as well have the skin cancer taken care of there also. $2000 for each of 2, 3 or more treatments here in the USA. But yes I am serious about flying Specs with me if anyone can guide me as to the first step.
Der Fish

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Hope this isn't so far off topic that I get shot for it, but what about cats? We've had several flying dog threads lately, but presently I am flying from ATL to Medellin Colombia. A kitten wandered into my mom's yard a month ago and I brought it into the house. My mother hasn't allowed cats in her house since never. I remember crying for one when I was 5 or 6 years old, but never. So I took in this cat, do cats fly as do dogs in a crate at my feet? Instead of a "personal item" Do I shove her under the seat in front of me? I have called all 45 or more nieces and nephews and nobody wants her. From too much Dominican sun I have developed basal cell carcinoma on my face and back. I tried some to get info on how it is cared for in the DR, but did get a response back from Colombia an ex-employee of mine says his mother had one taken off her face for the equivalent of $19.00 USD. Colombia is where I had triple bypass surgery on my heart, and hemorrhoid surgery as well as lazic eye surgery. So may as well have the skin cancer taken care of there also. $2000 for each of 2, 3 or more treatments here in the USA. But yes I am serious about flying Specs with me if anyone can guide me as to the first step.
Der Fish

What a LOVELY Little Story..

related to the Topic of this thread HOW exactly ?