For the drinkers (fake booze going around)

Feb 7, 2007
I know that in the Czech Rep methanol poisoning was not "by purpose". Obviously nobody intends to poison others, he would have to be f***g stupid to do that.

But the Czech Rep the case went like this:
For several years in the past, these particular moonshiners were buying antifreeze from Poland, and that antifreeze contained ethanol. Ethanol is basically the alcohol part. They extracted the ethanol, concentrated it and made fake booze. It was cheaper than to buy ethanol legally, because that would mean paying taxes. But the illegal booze, was indeed, "healthy".

Then all of a sudden, the producer of antifreeze in Poland changed the antifreeze formula, and replaced ethanol part for methanol. I mean, for car engines, ethanol/methanol makes no difference in antifreeze. Well, last winter batch, someone in Czech Republic forgot to read the sticker. A classic fallacy, what worked yesterday has to work today as well. But, this time, there was methanol in the antifreeze and nobody noticed.

The moonshiners extracted the methanol same way they did with ethanol, and because both look same, again, nobody noticed. They filled methanol into booze and there they went to sell it on the black market. It was not some evil plan to poison people, it was a simple case of greed and failure to pay attention and exercise carefulness.

Had anybody dared to read the sticker on that antifreeze.... many many lives would have been saved and countless other people would not be walking deads now.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Very interesting reading here!!!

Going forward I will only consume the booze I bring to the DR from NY/Duty Free or stick to beer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am surprised the counterfeiters dabbed in chemicals. it's very easy and cheap to produce moonshine, why not stick to that? what kind of sentences they received, rubio?

el tigre, you can drink dominican alcohol made in DR. just buy it in a supermarket. they are least likely to cut corners.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't have answer to that, I guess it was faster to extract ethanol, add some additives, colorants, flavors, and whoopla, a moonshine is born, probably much faster than distilling etc.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Seeing as this thread looks dead, let's see if we can bring it back for a bit. How has this issue been as of recent for everyone? The only instance I have has dealing with fake booze in the DR is when my wife's cousin bought some obviously half Johnny black mixed with something cheaper. We had two bottles to compare. I usually have a rule, when I'm in cotui I don't buy really anything except burgal or lesser drank whiskies such as glenfiddich and I only get it from the one place I trust there. Other than that, I'm drinking presidentes or coronas. In SD I usually only buy liquor from duty free or drinks 2 go as I have a pleasant experience there buying higher end stuff. When it comes to wine, I have never found any problem with any of them since it's pretty obvious wine isn't drank that much in DR.... Well except for la fuerza sold in those gallon jugs....(never again) haha

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Keep buying the La Fuerza....

They pay me a royalty for my photo...

a bit old that pic... but imagine how long I have been collecting !!

It's the photo that sells it ... not the taste
Women swoon............ men are envious