Former President Fernandez expresses concern over unchecked migration

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are still plenty of Dominicans working in construction, especially as carpenters, plumbers, tile layers...etc.
Yes. I see the plumbers (but not all) and electricians and window installers, gate and iron work and cabinet makers are almost exclusively Dominican.
But all of the block and concrete work, painting and landscaping seem to be Haitians near me and lately I see a some Haitian tile setters. Maybe it's the trades that are in the hot sun..

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In my experience Haitians are not lazy, but hard workers. The thing is you have to tell them everything what and how to do things, if not things go wrong.
We had a haitian new gardener, we gold him to cut the mala hierba.
You won’t believe it..he cut a huge beautiful ornamental palm, 6 or 7 feel high.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Not my problem. Enough with this woke BS. What you wanna do ? Take them all in ? Do it and in 10 years the DR looks like Haiti. And then people like you are the first to complain. If they want want condoms and dont have the $ to pay for them, give me a call. This is the only help i'm willing to give.
"Woke" BS? Now that's how to bring the conversation down to your level. I was trying to have a sensible discussion about people who are BORN here, live here for many years and then are deported. I didn't say anything about taking anybody in. I suggest you read what people say before adding your angry comments.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
"Woke" BS? Now that's how to bring the conversation down to your level. I was trying to have a sensible discussion about people who are BORN here, live here for many years and then are deported. I didn't say anything about taking anybody in. I suggest you read what people say before adding your angry comments.
One (1) Million Rabbits that are "in" will convert after one generation to 4 Milion Rabbits. Make it two generations and there is no more DR. Very same problem many european countries will face with their imported arabs. There is nothing "sensible" about it. This is catastrophic !

Big

Apr 24, 2019
One (1) Million Rabbits that are "in" will convert after one generation to 4 Milion Rabbits. Make it two generations and there is no more DR. Very same problem many european countries will face with their imported arabs. There is nothing "sensible" about it. This is catastrophic !
It is so easy to spend other people's money. In effect that is what you're doing, amongst other things when you open the borders. It is extremely unfair to Dominicans, especially the hard-working lower income, who must wait hours on end at hospitals and medical clinics to get service. The easy way out is to give them a free pass and insinuate they have a right to be here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well I agree but times change and just like how American men used to work hard in the United States at labor jobs, now the Gen Z looks down on that type of work. They'd rather be on their cell phones just like here now.
So what once was is no longer how things are today.
The DR isn’t the United States. In the US an American loses a job and rather quickly they find another (even if not in their field.) In the DR the average person loses a job a¡nd they are out of luck. If lucky they might find another one in a few months, maybe year, if ever…. It’s them competing with hundreds of other applicants.

This was a few years ago in Santo Domingo Norte. Most of them were not hired, but there they were looking for a job.

The desire of some seem to be to add even more competitions for the limited jobs available. That’s going to help. :rolleyes:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
More Dominicans hopeful of being hired in Megacentro. Take a wild guess what was the result for most.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Yes it is not advantageous for the DR to take more but certainly the countries of South and Central America could take many because they've lost so many of their citizens flooding into the US - a reverse replacement theory.
Agreed....send them to Venezuela

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Abinader said the economy could double in the next 12 years. So if that's the case jobs will be like leaves on the trees.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Leonel says he's going to start giving weekly meetings to the press. Something Luis has been doing since he took office.

I'd say Leonel is a day late and a dollar short.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Leonel says he's going to start giving weekly meetings to the press. Something Luis has been doing since he took office.

I'd say Leonel is a day late and a dollar short.
Louis is a shoe in, thank goodness.