Four tourists drown at Playa Macao

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
well l.g.'s (lifeguards) are costly...how many of you are prepared to pay? i think 100us a month could start a program... its cheap maybe 75$ but paid by the quarter...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Risk

Unfortunately, the beauty of the beach disguises the ever present danger of the rip currents and high waves of the location. This is compounded by the lack of a barrier reef to soften the wave action upon the shore and the beach's steep drop off at waters edge that gives risk to non swimmers. Yet, it is the strong wave actions that attract surfing to the beach.

The government will do nothing to draw attention to the risk. Yet, it should be at least the tour companies, which there are many, visiting the beach advise their groups of the dangers of the location. They at least be required have some life saving equipment such as ring buoy and line. They should have one employee having life saving know how.

The shame of this whole matter is there is a Dominican Naval detachment at the main entrance of the beach. Yet, you never, if ever, see the uniforms patrolling the beach. The only proactive approach to lessen the risk is through the training programs by our northern friends, the Canadians, and unnamed others.

My condolences to the families and friends of the tourists.

Regards,

PJT

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Four in one day that is truly sad. I know it is dangerous to try and help but god if you see anouther in need well at some people want to help.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i was pulled out of the dark depths by a man when i was 7-8 yrs old and going under.... grabbed me by the hair as i was going by.....to live....life and ponder,wonder etc

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
As time goes on I wonder why Americans would willingly vacation in a country where there is no interest taken in the safety of tourists. In Puerto Rico, Florida, Hawaii, California and other civilized parts of the Caribbean there are life guards there to prevent this. In January I had 3 weeks with no work, we decided to spend our vacation in Cancun through RCI instead of RD. There were lifeguards at our beach and we felt safe with two young ones. No sanky panky activity at the resort either.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As time goes on I wonder why Americans would willingly vacation in a country where there is no interest taken in the safety of tourists.

We have become conditioned to assume that we are always safe both at home and while travelling so we think with our wallets and not our brains. It should be simple. No back up plan (trained lifeguard(s) and equipment), no swimming. Apparently, its not so simple when the price is right. I'm sure C2H5OH is a significant factor as well.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
As time goes on I wonder why Americans would willingly vacation in a country where there is no interest taken in the safety of tourists. In Puerto Rico, Florida, Hawaii, California and other civilized parts of the Caribbean there are life guards there to prevent this. In January I had 3 weeks with no work, we decided to spend our vacation in Cancun through RCI instead of RD. There were lifeguards at our beach and we felt safe with two young ones. No sanky panky activity at the resort either.

No interest taken in the safety of tourists? Along the five mile stretch of beach that I walk in Bavaro - there are security guards and lifeguards along the entire stretch. Better than Cancun - and the waves are more calm.

I have seen the guys respond to an emergency in Bavaro and they are quick and professional.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
No interest taken in the safety of tourists? Along the five mile stretch of beach that I walk in Bavaro - there are security guards and lifeguards along the entire stretch. Better than Cancun - and the waves are more calm.

I have seen the guys respond to an emergency in Bavaro and they are quick and professional.

When have you heard of FOUR tourists dying in Cancun ? I am sitting here in a "24 hour" zone checking DR1 because lights are out and we dont run AC on the inversor. The "custodian" at our building has not started the planta yet. If this country cant take care of its few economically solvent citizens who pay taxes and generate employment how can they take are of tourists at the beach ? If squalor, indifference and death are your thing so be it. We're out of here by the end of the year.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
When have you heard of FOUR tourists dying in Cancun ? I am sitting here in a "24 hour" zone checking DR1 because lights are out and we dont run AC on the inversor. The "custodian" at our building has not started the planta yet. If this country cant take care of its few economically solvent citizens who pay taxes and generate employment how can they take are of tourists at the beach ? If squalor, indifference and death are your thing so be it. We're out of here by the end of the year.

I don't monitor the death count in Cancun.

End of the year? Wow, long time. Sorry you are having such a bad time. Why would you obligate yourself to such a long time here without knowing more about the DR. Squalor, indifference, and death - sounds just like Mexico. I was there off and on for seven years before coming to the DR. We could go on with the comparisions, but probably not of any purpose. I like it better here, less squalor, indifference, and death in my experience : ) Saludos.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
if its that bad...why wait till the end of the year?

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
This happened this afternoon and details are still coming in. This tragedy highlights the need for trained lifeguards on potentially dangerous beaches.]

I was a lifeguard and sometimes even with a lifeguard the person cannot be saved. What it really highlights is the need for people to respect the immense power of the ocean.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This happened this afternoon and details are still coming in. This tragedy highlights the need for trained lifeguards on potentially dangerous beaches.]

I was a lifeguard and sometimes even with a lifeguard the person cannot be saved. What it really highlights is the need for people to respect the immense power of the ocean.

it needs both. it needs to be a situation wherein people respect the powers of nature, and take steps to prevent the possibility of their demise. it also needs the purveyors of the tourist product to understand what they are selling, and to act accordingly to avert disasters like these.

the Dominican Republic sells sun and sand tourism. they are not selling trips to the Pyramids and the Sphinx, where pensive people ponder the magnificence of these artifacts of history in thoughtful serenity. they sell a product that attracts lager louts of all stripes, from all over the world, and drunkenness is a part of the equation. at least minimal `provisions have to be in place to attempt to save these people from themselves, because it can be rather safely predicted that quite a few people are going to get ossified and jump into the water. combine that with the fact that there are some pretty dangerous beaches in the country, the matter warrants serious need for some kind of assistance to people who get into difficulty in the waters of this country. as to the assertion by Tashi, i would like to know how a guy coming into the DR from Saigon is supposed to know the nature ofr the water currents around Cabarete. maybe it is the duty of the tourism directorate to disseminate this information.

as to those who make the ludicrous remark that people die even when there are lifeguards...some people die in car accidents even if they have their seatbelts on. you can?t win them all, but you have to fight them all.

Jul 28, 2014
i would like to know how a guy coming into the DR from Saigon is supposed to know the nature ofr the water currents around Cabarete. .

There is a system, its called common sense... Do you go jumping into strange waters without having a clue whats going on? I consider myself a strong swimmer, I had lessons as a kid, my parents had a pool for most of childhood and I am an avid snorkeler, however, I still don't go racing out into waters unfamiliar. First off you can ask about the conditions, Secondly, make some of your own observations as to the conditions, do you see a current and/or large waves?

There needs to be some self ownership taken for those who seem to leave the brain back at the hotel room. The sad part of it is, the end result is tragic. For some reason, as stated by more than one person in this thread, people get engorged in tourist mode and common sense seems to vacate, as well as the fact perhaps a few too many bebidas take over.

Lifeguards are definitely a great idea to have at all the beaches, but safety starts with yourself, you can't rely on other people to have it for you...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a comment in DL under an artile about this drowning that throws a bit of light on this:
esta playa es sumamente peligrosa y se ahogan muchos seres humanos todos los anos y las autoridades no toman las medidas necesarias para evitar esas tragedia....uno de los principales problemas es la fuerte corriente que te toma de sorpresa... eso afecta al lindero completo de playa macao....y a mi parecer se esta empeorando.... yo visitaba mucho con mi familia pero la ultima veces sent? que la corriente estaba fuera de lo normal y no volver?....le sugiero bayahibe...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It highlights the need for people to use their heads! When the ocean is really rough stay out!

Even on calm days Playa Macao can be traitorous. Because of the way the bay is formed, you have strong underwater currents that change constantly. People that don't know this only see a beautiful beach with nice waves and think it's just like the beach at their hotel (which in the majority of cases in Punta Cana is quite safe). Add in a couple of beers and a group of people having fun and this is sometimes what you end up with.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is a system, its called common sense... Do you go jumping into strange waters without having a clue whats going on? I consider myself a strong swimmer, I had lessons as a kid, my parents had a pool for most of childhood and I am an avid snorkeler, however, I still don't go racing out into waters unfamiliar. First off you can ask about the conditions, Secondly, make some of your own observations as to the conditions, do you see a current and/or large waves?

There needs to be some self ownership taken for those who seem to leave the brain back at the hotel room. The sad part of it is, the end result is tragic. For some reason, as stated by more than one person in this thread, people get engorged in tourist mode and common sense seems to vacate, as well as the fact perhaps a few too many bebidas take over.

Lifeguards are definitely a great idea to have at all the beaches, but safety starts with yourself, you can't rely on other people to have it for you...

you are a seasoned swimmer, and an apparent aficionado of all things nautical. there is a little entity in this world which is known as asymmetry of information. there are people who are versed in the knowledge of certain matters, whilst others are not. some people have next to no knowledge of rip currents, and the hazards they pose. combine that with a few cocktails and you have the formula for disaster. that is why it is incumbent upon the people whose livelihoods depend upon luring people to these shores to take appropriate measures to protect these people from the currents, and from themselves. the whole idea of lifeguards is to rescue people from marine distress, whether they brought it upon themselves, or not.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Red Flag Warning

It highlights the need for people to use their heads! When the ocean is really rough stay out!

Although everybody has a head, the brains are different. ;)

One can't really expect (for example) a Bavarian tourist (maybe a good skier from near the alpes :bunny: ) know everything about rip tides (which, BTW, do not look dangerous at all).
On the other hand not every holiday maker can be given a tutorial about the dangers of the sea.

In other countries I have seen green or red flags being used at the beaches.
Whether those are used in Punta Cana, I do not know; but it would certainly not be too much to ask for.

donP

Last edited:

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
First mistake the tourist should not enter these wild waters unless you are an a excellent swimmer if you cant swim is a nono..mistake nr 2 is not knowing your surroundings and were the hidden tide currents form...third mistake no communication with emergency crews, lifeguards, rescue teams...when I go surfing alone in wild waters I study the currents and talk to fellow surfers before entering new places...so I can get all the information on tides, currents and potencial exit points if I get pulled out....the key is to remain calm and not panick...simply let the current pull you out and swim in further down were current is less strong..