French Fries on el conde

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/comunidad-china-en-el-pais-turismo-negocios-poblacion-AI9802354

Officially there are only 3069 Chinese in DR. ????

And neither they, nor anywhere else I have found in DR, can recreate chips (as against french fries) in the style of a true British chippy. The concept of a fish and chips shop could work in DR but doubt if Harry Ramsden's will travel so far.
There's no point in citing that 'poll' from the government. Everyone knows they intentionally estimated very conservatively to create the least amount of foreigners possible.

A week or two ago the Venezuelan Ambassador said that there are more Venezuelans in the DR than what the "Migrant Poll" claims.

http://eldia.com.do/en-rd-hay-mas-de-30-mil-venezolanos-ilegales/

Why would it be any different for the Chinese or the Haitians or anyone else?

With that said, I don't think the country suffers an influx of people wanting to establish new French fries joints.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That french fries place is the latest that opened 50ft across from and West of another stablished fries joint. The new donut place is FD donuts. 

That's it, FD donuts and they are pretty darn good @ 50 pesos each. Small size but really good.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

gurl you something else, that's it ……………. and them donuts is tasty, tasty. I tried the one with chocolate on the outside and chocolate filling plus I had the strawberry filled one with a thin slice of strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Now the original French fry joint was selling fries as fast as they could fry them,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now they selling leftover soggy fries because of so much competition.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
gurl you something else, that's it ……………. and them donuts is tasty, tasty. I tried the one with chocolate on the outside and chocolate filling plus I had the strawberry filled one with a thin slice of strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Now the original French fry joint was selling fries as fast as they could fry them,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now they selling leftover soggy fries because of so much competition.

making good fries is an art. very few people here know how to make them crisp on the outside, and tender inside. ideally, you fry them half the way, put them in the freezer for a while, then fry them again..secondly, i have not seen anybody here who had the right dust to shake on them..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Which is why one should never start a bidniz that can be easily replicated by locals.

Like selling ribs on the way up the mountain to Jarabacoa? That is the example of Dominican ingenuity that always shines bright for me.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
making good fries is an art. very few people here know how to make them crisp on the outside, and tender inside. ideally, you fry them half the way, put them in the freezer for a while, then fry them again..secondly, i have not seen anybody here who had the right dust to shake on them..

funny thing gorgon the first French fry place the fries weren't really tasty at all. They did a big business because they were cheap and the people buying them were eating something other than rice and beans. At first you had to stand in line and wait 15 to 20 minutes, now all the cold soggy fries you want are readily available.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yeah, krispy kreme on Gomez has been my go to spot but this new place on el conde the donuts are just as good.

every time i go to the capital i have to stop on Gomez and bring a dozen for a friend of mine in POP...700 pesos, and she always forgets to repay. and, noooo...i do not want payment in kind..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
funny thing gorgon the first French fry place the fries weren't really tasty at all. They did a big business because they were cheap and the people buying them were eating something other than rice and beans. At first you had to stand in line and wait 15 to 20 minutes, now all the cold soggy fries you want are readily available.

a guy who went to culinary school in NY taught me to make french fries...better than McDonalds..much better.