Frenchie Newbie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well I think that is just the right style and just the right attitude for relocation... Take half the clothes and twice the money.

I spent a year before I came here giving everything away - just as if I were going to die-- with little notes to the god children.. like this shawl came from the market in Chichicastenago-- now certainly I know that is not for everyone!

but it certainly made my life easier coming here.

Now, after 7 years, I have so many books... and stuff.. clothes, plates, plants, the DOG (blessed be) .. that even though I sometimes think of relocating.. I spend about an hour packing in my mind and just settle back down.

You will do fine!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As to the forum posters- I think for lots of us expats here this is the ONLY place that we can vent. And I think that we perhaps do not think of iit as an open public forum but as our own private chat room since we have come to know one another a bit over the years and can get some support here.

Dominicans are very sensitive and sweet people and lots of us have learned that one simply cannot say things to them that we say here- because it would hurt their feelings, because it is not their fault, because there is nothing that they can do about it...

like the stuff on corruption - they are USED to having to just pay for public services - to bribe the garbage men, for instance, so do not know what would be considered corruption and what would be a tip.

So I know that I vent here - and I am sure that others do as well..

And then you will get a pile on from the Dominicans who have left the country- who remember how things were back in the good old days- which for them was not so very long ago.

Since you have lived in other countries, you know that there is a lot of adpating to do.. and we here are pretty isolated-there are expats from all over the world here - not just one country -and even if they are from your country - does not mean you are going to think the same way.

just some thoughts

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
As to the forum posters- I think for lots of us expats here this is the ONLY place that we can vent. And I think that we perhaps do not think of iit as an open public forum but as our own private chat room since we have come to know one another a bit over the years and can get some support here.

Dominicans are very sensitive and sweet people and lots of us have learned that one simply cannot say things to them that we say here- because it would hurt their feelings, because it is not their fault, because there is nothing that they can do about it...

like the stuff on corruption - they are USED to having to just pay for public services - to bribe the garbage men, for instance, so do not know what would be considered corruption and what would be a tip.

So I know that I vent here - and I am sure that others do as well..
just some thoughts

You know, check the posts from other Dominicans and ask people, and you'll see that we are as frustrated with corruption and the bad things that happen in the country as anyone else.

You forgot to mention all the bashing and generalizations against Dominicans that goes on all over these forums: Dominicans are always the lazy, stupid thieves/ whores.

There's a lot of hipocrisy and condescending people on these forums.