Frutas (Fruit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
No Chiri...you were right...it is cashew fruit. I did a search and found pictures.

Chirimoya said:
I know what they are then - "cajuilitos soliman". We have a tree right here. They are pinky-red on the outside, whitish inside, and smaller than the cashew fruit.

Check out this amazing site with translations of plant names in every language that has a name for them. It appears that "soliman" is a corruption of Suriname. English names listed: Bell fruit, Water apple, Water cherry, Watery rose apple.

Now if only I could get this site to solve the granadillo mystery...

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Mas frutas

DR Spanish => English

guampani => breadfruit
zapote => sapote
jagua => ???? (Does anyone know? I have asked before, but did not receive any responses.)

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Now if only I could get this site to solve the granadillo mystery...

I tried your site... it is good. I got hits on jagua (though I'm still confused) but not on granadillo. However, granadilla resulted in the following:

"Passifloraceae Passiflora coccinea "Red Passion Flower, Red granadilla."

These exotic climbing plants were a religious symbol for early Christians. They saw a resemblance in the parts of the flower to the story of Christ's suffering: in the petals the twelve apostles of the Crucifixion; in the five antlers the five wounds; in the three stigmas the nails; and in the purple rays of the corolla, the crown of thorns. Native to the rain forests of Brazil and Peru, their large fruits are a common food in the tropics. Their large and showy flowers last just a day and close forever at night."

and also:

"ENGLISH : Giant granadilla, Square-stemmed passion flower.
SPANISH : Badea (Colombia), Corvejo (Colombia), Granadilla de fresco (El Salvador), Granadilla grande, Granadilla para refrescos (El Salvador), Granadilla real, Parcha granadina, Parcha de Guinea, Sandia de pasi?n (Bolivia), Tambo (Ecuador), Tumbo (Ecuador)."

It looks like chinola and granadilla are likely from the same family. I've eaten both in the DR, and would not have guess that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DianaC said:
I tried your site... it is good. I got hits on jagua (though I'm still confused) but not on granadillo. However, granadilla resulted in the following:

"Passifloraceae Passiflora coccinea "Red Passion Flower, Red granadilla."

These exotic climbing plants were a religious symbol for early Christians. They saw a resemblance in the parts of the flower to the story of Christ's suffering: in the petals the twelve apostles of the Crucifixion; in the five antlers the five wounds; in the three stigmas the nails; and in the purple rays of the corolla, the crown of thorns. Native to the rain forests of Brazil and Peru, their large fruits are a common food in the tropics. Their large and showy flowers last just a day and close forever at night."

and also:

"ENGLISH : Giant granadilla, Square-stemmed passion flower.
SPANISH : Badea (Colombia), Corvejo (Colombia), Granadilla de fresco (El Salvador), Granadilla grande, Granadilla para refrescos (El Salvador), Granadilla real, Parcha granadina, Parcha de Guinea, Sandia de pasi?n (Bolivia), Tambo (Ecuador), Tumbo (Ecuador)."

It looks like chinola and granadilla are likely from the same family. I've eaten both in the DR, and would not have guess that.

Good bit of sleuth work there, Diana. Granadilla/parcha are other names for passion fruit (chinola) but the 'giant granadilla' is probably the fruit called 'granadillo' in the DR. It makes sense that it should be related to passion fruit in as much as they both grow on vines. I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that it was a member of the melon family, but I could be mistaken.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
try jobos

Another curious tropical fruit family is that of the "jobos", which are related to mangoes. The amazing multilingual site attempts to cover all:

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Spondias.html

I think the main variety is called manzana de oro* in DR, but can have many other names in other Latin countries. There are of course varieties that may include jobillos and jobitos (diminutives, anyone?) ciruelas and ciruelitas.

In English, I think it is Hog Plum but it may refer to just one variety of the species group.

- Tordok

"manzana de oro" literal translation = golden apple or apple of gold.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tordok said:
not to be picky, but we are in the language section of the forum, so Cajuil in Dominican Spanish, at least, is with a "J" not an "H".

That is correct. J has the h sound.

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
Since you've gone to DR gatherings in Toronto I'm gonna assume you live in Toronto. You can find guava's in any caribbean food mart/store. I've found them at Fortinos'(Jane and WIlson), they are really good you should go buy some!

Anna Coniglio said:
Thanks mofi. I'll have to see if I can find them. I like trying new fruit and vegetables. ;)

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Granadilla

Chirimoya said:

I asked my husband when he got home from work the night that I was researching your question about granadillo... he says that granadilla and chinola are from the same family and it is the largest one that is referred to as grandilla/granadillo.

He was raised on a farm and has grown just about everything... but he did not know the English translation for jagua... so I thank you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
What a fascinating thread with such good links. I don't have much time to join y'all in the Spanish forum but here is two more fruits for you...

peach which I think is albaricoque
apricot which I'm almost sure is melocot?n

I think both of these probably have other names as well.

To add to the 'chinola' comments. I grew up with these in Africa and they were called 'grenedellas', similar to granadilla. A little smaller than the chinolas that I've come across here with a slightly more intense flavor.. just delicious.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chris said:
peach which I think is albaricoque
apricot which I'm almost sure is melocot?n

I think both of these probably have other names as well.

Slight mix-up there, Chris: Peach is melocot?n, and apricot is albaricoque. Durazno is another name for peach.

Summoner

Feb 1, 2006
Ok, I just got to this forum cuz I was looking for a translation for Cranberry but I found out that there's no translation to spanish, but anyway I ended up in here and noticed that other people need help with that too, so I'll try to help a bit. Well here are some names for fruits, at least as I know they are here in Costa Rica.

Lima= Lime
Limon= Lemon
Caimito= Star apple (round purple fruit, pretty good stuff)
Carambola= Starfruit
Manzana de agua= Water apple or mountain apple
Mara?on= Cashew
Mamon= Rambutan= Leeche
Pitahaya or Tuna= Prickly pear
Maracuya= Passion fruit
Nispero= Loquat or Medlar
Cas= Acidic Guava (almost like a guava but, really sour, white flesh, and perfect on juices)
Anona= Custard Apple
Guanabana= Soursop
And here are some fruits that I haven't got the time to translate or look on the web, so have fun and see who can find those first! :p
Guaba (not guava=guayaba) it's a long fruit with woody skin and several black seeds with a white flesh inside).
Pejibaye (it grows on palm trees, small yellow, starshy things)
Manzana rosa (little, yellow, brown seed, delicious)
Pitanga (like a little pumpkim that grows on a tree that resembles a coffee plant)
Manga (same thing as a mango but a lot bigger)
Limon Dulce (textually it would be "sweet lemon" but actually it is pretty bitter)
There are several other fruits around here, but I can't remember right now, as soon as I find the names I'll post them.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
polmagranite

On our last trip we discovered that polmagranites were called Grenada. We searched for them but had no luck - anyone know where you can purchase this great fruit in the DR? Is it popular there? thanks tom

Jan 5, 2006
Summoner said:
Mara?on= Cashew

Maracuya= Passion fruit

In DR, a cashew is known as a cajuil, and passion fruit as chinola.

I had never heard of mara?on, but I know that maracuya is commonly used in Central and South America.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Nispero = naseberry or sapodilla in the British West Indies.

Cajuil = cashew, and the seed is the cashew NUT, and the cajuil fruit is the orangish thing that holds the seed.

cereza = "BARBADOS cherry" in English - it has 3 seeds inside. The more commonly-known Bing cherry with one pit does not grow here in the tropics.

While we are talking about this, how about some Dominican myths on fruits?
My wife has told me that if men eat the cajuil fruit, or eat chinola, their lovelife is going to slow down. And of course, in the West Indies, they say that eating or drinking chinola (aka Passion Fruit) will RESTORE a man's lovelife. Go figure.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
GringoCArlos said:
how about some Dominican myths on fruits?

Ha ha ha! There's so many of these going around in the campos, that it's funny to think that some people actually believe them. My favorite is, don't eat pinneaple too soon after eating eggs. You'll hear: "Eso hace da?o!", yet they love cake with pinneaple filling. :D

Lasia

Jan 15, 2006
perhaps unrelated to fruit.....not sure if this is a fruit or a veggie..
when I was in the DR last I ate Yucca. My friends & I had never heard of yucca before (we are from Candada) and have been wondering where to find it. i looked up Yucca in my dictionary and yucca in spanish is also yucca in english. It tastes similar to potato (to me). If anyone can tell me where to find food this I will be very happy. I want to do some Dominican cooking.. the food is so good :)
Thanks for your help!

Lasia

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Lasia-

The correct spelling in Spanish is 'yuca'. It is a vegetable and the English equivalent used is cassava (I have never heard cassava referred to as yucca in English. The culinary word is 'cassava').

If you are in Montreal you can get it for sure at any Latin or West Indian grocery store. In Montreal there is a really good one Colombian (I believe) that I go to called 'Super March? Andes Sabor Latino'/ 436 B?langer Est/ Montr?al (Nord). Right on the corner of B?langer and St.Denis.

In Toronto your choices are endless any Latin or West Indian food store. When I come to think of it most grocery stores have it as well such as Loblaws, Fortinos, No Frills. That's the one aspect I like about TO. Super international in choices!

Enjoy your yuca!

LDG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.