Fuel Cell Energy To Power Homes

Kelsey

Sep 27, 2003
I'm not a physicist but I do think splitting atoms and molecules are totaly different. In the fission reactions the nucleus actually changes into the necleus of another atom. However, I believe that the energy that occurs during the seperating of an atom is because it's like a rubber band. The energy is released when bonds are broken and stored when bonds are formed. The energy is there to begin with, it is not taken from the mass.

Last edited:

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
I have been following fuel cells off and on for the past couple years. About 6 months ago I read that GM (I think it was them) should have a production car on the market 2005/2006. There are cities that are running fuel cell busses now. Also if you check out some of the major companies that are involved, like a partnership between GE and Ballard (again the names are rusty), you will find that they are setting up their distributors now. There are all ready houses in the NorthEast being powered by these fuel cells using natural gas and propane. They are so effiecent because they supply the house with electricity, heat and hot water. The same ones are basically maintenance free with the larger ones require fan maintenance as they use a fan to move enough air across the cells. They even have units that are big enough and are presently installed, that are supply electricity for house developments and large factories.

I also read a report where there was a company playing around with a system, where they used a solar panel to create enough energy to separate water into H2 and O. They then used the H2 to power the cells. Of course the question is why not just use the solar power of the electricity, but it shows they are working on ideas and coming up with solutions.

Recently they opened a H2 gas station in Iceland. This was the ideal place to open it, because it was readily available to the public. That will be our problem here. Not the cars, but the stations to service those cars with H2.

There are many people thinking out of the box, for example. one guy took his engine out of his car. installed a jet engine starter that drove his transmission. He also had a lawn mower engine that drove a generator that in turn powered the starter. His results were 60 MPH and 75 MPG. Is it possible that we will see some kind of marriage like this? Pull into a station and get both gas and water. A small generator that does not need much it order to produce the H2 from water.

You can buy a fuel cell that runs on butane that will power a laptop and exhaust 2 drops of water every 3 days. The technology is here. We will have problems with the support side when we talk about cars. The "gas stations".

Jerry

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
<<I also read a report where there was a company playing <<around with a system, where they used a solar panel to <<create enough energy to separate water into H2 and O. They <<then used the H2 to power the cells. Of course the question is <<why not just use the solar power of the electricity, but it <<shows they are working on ideas and coming up with solutions.

Solar energy has always been a problem, the cells just are too expensive and return too little.

If you will accept the need of a supplier of H2 then possibly you may see some reasonable use of fuel cells in homes/cars in 10 years. However there will be no such thing as pouring water into your car in 10 years.

Also if you want use propane or other fossil fuels your emissions will no longer be green "clean" and your efficiency goes down the tubes.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
<Also if you want use propane or other fossil fuels your emissions will no longer be green "clean" and your efficiency goes down the tubes.>

Yes I understand this. However, I have read that when you compared the efficiency of a fuel cell that is delivering electricity, hot water and heat to a house in the North East US (or any other cold climate) that the efficiency increases making it more "affordable". So a house in the north would have a better ROI than a house in the south just for the simple fact that it can use more of the by-products of the fuel cell.

I see sales starting off slow and maybe using natural gas or propane. This would get the base installed while they worked on delivering a purer source of H2. One this supply system is in place, then they sell the "upgrade" if one is needed on the bases of being greener and cheaper to run.

Jerry

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Jerry

I see you've mentioned GE and Ballard, I think I posted before about Ballard's partnership with the Chicago Transport Authority (or whatever its called) and how their buses are being powered by Ballard fuel cell engines. Daimler Chrysler, Volkswagen and Toyota where looking into buying fuelcell technology from them for transportation development. I know they are already marketing a small genset, to power up home appliances, I only assume we will be seing a more capable genset in the market soon.

All this technology talk makes me wonder about the evolution of the local dominican handy-man mechanic. Will they adapt from meddling a with diesel and gasoline powered plantica? From changing gaskets, oil filters and ball bearings to graspping the phisycs and mechanical concepts of the fuelcell powered generator?:alien:

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Jerry, it seems I might be eating a little crow

A German-Italian firm is claiming a breakthrough in solar cells. Their claims include being able to avoid the use of silicone and use cheaper plastics. The efficiency is reduced thus you'll need more panels but the costs are well below fossil fuel.

Link is provided below

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/10/02/solar.cells.reut/index.html

I hate crow.....pass the salt.

PS. Still wont see it before 10 years

:confused:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Quixotic quest?

While we're on the subject of alternate energy sources, let me ask you guys and gals if wind power has merit as a cheap/reliable electrical generator to power our homes in DR? I heard these wind turbines cost plenty of money to buy but last a lifetime. Can they be found in DR? Has anyone had any experience with this things? They way things are going worldwide, and with OPEC sticking it to us, there won't be enough dollars to pay Chavez to sell us enough petro for our cars and much less to generate electricity. What other ways can we be more energy self-sufficient? What can we do TODAY?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don Juan said:
While we're on the subject of alternate energy sources, let me ask you guys and gals if wind power has merit as a cheap/reliable electrical generator to power our homes in DR? I heard these wind turbines cost plenty of money to buy but last a lifetime. Can they be found in DR? Has anyone had any experience with this things? They way things are going worldwide, and with OPEC sticking it to us, there won't be enough dollars to pay Chavez to sell us enough petro for our cars and much less to generate electricity. What other ways can we be more energy self-sufficient? What can we do TODAY?

As written before, US AID funded NREL and began mapping wind resources on 10 spots scattered throughout the 2/3 of the island in 1998. Micro-siting is another story. There have been a few hotel type demonstration projects and it would be interesting to find out if they have had any success. Punta Goleta between Sosua and Caberette was one of them. One or two hotels near Punta Cana and Cueto property near Guzmansito, West of Puerto Plata. Any truly interested people can locate a few people who sell the stuff in the DR and can install it. From our experience using the small Whisper turbines, don't have it as your only energy source.

Tom F.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
energy cells!

Several years ago there was a Bulgarian leaving in Glendale , California that had a patent for an Hydrogen Peroxide and was doing research with an Italian conpamy before he was deported from the US back to Bulgaria. He still holds the Patten to the proccess. There was a news report done on him by one of the local TV stations here.