Gas stove...Samsung....LG?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have looked at both Samsung and LG 5 burner gas stoves. Matching the stainless up to the refrigerator I plan on buying it looks like I am going with the Samsung.

Comments??

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Although I cannot comment on Samsung, my last two stoves were Whirlpool and they both had big issues within a year...on one of them the oven door completely fell off after 6 months. I have Whirpool fridge that is excellent but I would never buy another Whirlpool oven.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Although I cannot comment on Samsung, my last two stoves were Whirlpool and they both had big issues within a year...on one of them the oven door completely fell off after 6 months. I have Whirpool fridge that is excellent but I would never buy another Whirlpool oven.
Very interesting bc in my search I went to a few stores and thought about how to determine quality? I opened and slam shut the oven doors (got an objection from my wife that hates banging) and I didn't like the "sound or weight" of the Whirlpool. You can "feel" the difference in an instant when making comparisons. Real easy I must say.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And meant to say ...you can feel the difference between many models.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Did you think about shipping down your appliances? Same brand quality is different there IMO. For example, my dual oven Whirlpool stove is 7 years old, used daily, still like new.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Did you think about shipping down your appliances? Same brand quality is different there IMO. For example, my dual oven Whirlpool stove is 7 years old, used daily, still like new.
Yes there is quite a difference in price but my many years as a flipper of houses in Savannah GA left a bad taste in my mouth for moving appliances from the Home Depot warehouse to my house 6-7 miles away. Done with the number of times the appliances come dented or damaged. Then the pick-up schedule and re-delivery added to the stress is not worth it. The Samsung stove is about $900 in SD. In the states it is about $650. plus tax .Howere, I need the stove and refrigerator next week bought and installed so that I can call in the granite top guy to take accurate measurements for the counter tops. I have priced all the coponents parts and want to move on this now.

I also understand that maybe the "quality" for the DR might be lesser quality than in that which is made for the states. I'll live with that other than stressing about it.In a nut shell, I look to avoid all stresses associated with living in the DR as best I can. It may cost more money but the equation of money vs. stress is in my favor...I think? LOL.

Reactions: colmcb

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Does not really matter. All this new appliances are not build to last anymore.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As other brand names have been mentioned, we've had two Frigidaire fridges (bought from Corripio), the first one we sold very many years ago (after using it for 3 years) and it was like new. The second we purchased 7 years ago, it has been in very heavy use with 4 people, two kids and my mother-in-law cooking in the kitchen, and it still looks like new inside and outside... It has suffered a bunch of apagones as well, still going strong... Manual controls, regularly cleaned very profoundly...

Stoves we've always purchased from the lower end (Mabe, other brands), and the same thing there, We purchased one in around 2010 and upgraded in 2017, at which point the older one went to my mother-in-law's house... Both, old and new, in perfect condition still... The second one has a tiny bit of rust in the lower part of the oven door after 6 years of usage (usage = 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 4 people, even oven used 2-3 times a week, my wife really likes preparing dishes in the oven), otherwise fine...

Oh, all our kitchen stuff has always been stainless steel...

Reactions: colmcb

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In the states I used all the brands mentioned here. I always bought "the deal" a package of refrigerator, stove. micro. A good deal of the time (maybe 90%) all matching manufacturer. Frigidaire, as I recall, usually was the best package deal.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a Mabe stainless steel gas stove that's over 13 years old and still looks like new.
Inside is another story. The "floor" of the oven is very flimsy metal that warped the first time I used it, and it doesn't 'fit' very well either.
If I ever buy another one, I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the fit and sturdiness of that floor.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we went to buy our stove, we were looking at American brands, but the salesman showed us a brand we never heard of. He pointed out the metal gas burners were larger/heavier duty. It was slightly cheaper, I forget where it was made but the brand is Acros. 10 years later, no regrets. My only complaint is that there is only one oven rack. I bought one and shipped it down, only to find out they’re not universal (it’s slightly smaller so useless).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have a Mabe stainless steel gas stove that's over 13 years old and still looks like new.
Inside is another story. The "floor" of the oven is very flimsy metal that warped the first time I used it, and it doesn't 'fit' very well either.
If I ever buy another one, I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the fit and sturdiness of that floor.
When I went shopping two weeks ago there were stores that one could buy a stove for $450!! I looked, touched, verified the price with salesman, but when I kicked the tiresI went with the ones that cost double. The less expensive "felt" flimsy for want of a better adjective. It was like a gut reaction to the feel.

Reactions: JD Jones

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
For what it's worth; last month I bought a Whirlpool 5 burner from Pricesmart for 50,000 pesos. The wife needed a new stove NOW so since I've had a Whirlpool washer and dryer for 12 years I thought Ok let's do it. So far so good; she loves it. Exact same stove in Ochoa Santiago for 66,000 and on sale for 56,000......I think I did alright. Time will tell.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For what it's worth; last month I bought a Whirlpool 5 burner from Pricesmart for 50,000 pesos. The wife needed a new stove NOW so since I've had a Whirlpool washer and dryer for 12 years I thought Ok let's do it. So far so good; she loves it. Exact same stove in Ochoa Santiago for 66,000 and on sale for 56,000......I think I did alright. Time will tell.
The "exact same stove"... that's not surprising. You need to shop it WHEN you need it. Prices will vary. A short car ride between the various stores and a couple of hours of kicking the tires can save you $$$$

Reactions: JD Jones