Gated Communities

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
As long as the walls were far enough away from Your dwelling. So you don't get that feeling of being in prison. Or landscaped in such a way.
very far away... I away like gated communities here and in the states..... gives me the feeling like I'm somebody important ... instead of feeling like the horse ass

Reactions: Exodusbywind

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
Personally, I prefer away from a 'Too Touristy' area..... less of everything and more

Less problems/distractions.... more peace/quiet
Personally, I prefer away from a 'Too Touristy' area..... less of everything and more

Less problems/distractions.... more peace/quiet
I agree humans are not designed to live in such large groups. I much prefer living closer to nature. Peace/ouiet

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree humans are not designed to live in such large groups. I much prefer living closer to nature. Peace/ouiet
I think a lot depends on where one grows up. I was born and raised in NYC, my parents moved us to Long Island and I hated it. I got a job in Manhattan and moved back to the city. I feel safety in numbers, I loved apartment living (I know, I’m weird). I feel vulnerable with too much space around where I live, like if I scream no one will hear me.
In DR we live in the campo on 15 tareas since 1980, I’m always imagining something or another. I’d be much happier in an apartment in Santo Domingo but that will never happen (my husband was born and raised there and he hates it).
In NJ, we lived in a house on a barrier island for 36 years, houses in close proximity. 5 years ago we moved to the mainland on a 1 acre lake lot, I’m getting braver 🤣

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
I think a lot depends on where one grows up. I was born and raised in NYC, my parents moved us to Long Island and I hated it. I got a job in Manhattan and moved back to the city. I feel safety in numbers, I loved apartment living (I know, I’m weird). I feel vulnerable with too much space around where I live, like if I scream no one will hear me.
In DR we live in the campo on 15 tareas since 1980, I’m always imagining something or another. I’d be much happier in an apartment in Santo Domingo but that will never happen (my husband was born and raised there and he hates it).
In NJ, we lived in a house on a barrier island for 36 years, houses in close proximity. 5 years ago we moved to the mainland on a 1 acre lake lot, I’m getting braver 🤣
My mother in-law is the same way. Loves the action of a city. She lives in Miami Beach. When she visits us she still doesn't understand why we live in such a rural area. When most city people "need to get away " where do they go? Places like Central Park. To decompress. It's just natural.

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
My mother in-law is the same way. Loves the action of a city. She lives in Miami Beach. When she visits us she still doesn't understand why we live in such a rural area. When most city people "need to get away " where do they go? Places like Central Park. To decompress. It's just natural.
Not judging anyone on how and why they live their lives. Had to add that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You like what you like. I would not try to convince someone to go one way or the other. I just report what is happening from the street. You decide from there.
I think a properly run gated community is considerably safer than living in a barrio or residential area, and definitely safer that living in an isolated house in the campo.

Reactions: reilleyp

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
I think a properly run gated community is considerably safer than living in a barrio or residential area, and definitely safer that living in an isolated house in the campo.
Are properly run gated communities hard to come by? My personal experience with guards/watchman I needed the for my business. They had to be paid enough so they would want to keep their job. Not turn a blind eye. The same would apply to watchman in the D.R.? Not letting one know who's house is vacant or where the security lights are out? When you use the term "campo" does that just mean away from the Touristy areas? Or more like in the Highland / jungle type areas? Just trying to understand terminology. Thanks

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are properly run gated communities hard to come by? My personal experience with guards/watchman I needed the for my business. They had to be paid enough so they would want to keep their job. Not turn a blind eye. The same would apply to watchman in the D.R.? Not letting one know who's house is vacant or where the security lights are out? When you use the term "campo" does that just mean away from the Touristy areas? Or more like in the Highland / jungle type areas? Just trying to understand terminology. Thanks
Campo is the are that surrounds cities and towns. Touristy or not.

My farm was in the country, but it had about 8-10 wood houses in the immediate area. They were some of the best neighbors I've ever had.

Reactions: Exodusbywind

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I concur with you Bob... i have good people around where I live ...they think they are guardian angels of the 80's....
Great analogy. Our campo neighbors are the same. The lady across the road misses nothing and isn’t afraid to confront anyone. The Gladys Kravitz of DR. (Bewitched, for you young folk). We’ve had things taken from the yard, mostly from trees or things we planted, but in 30-plus years no one has ever entered the house. It’s empty more than it’s occupied.

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here's one for you.

I suffered a medical emergency once and the better half took me to Bornigal.

While we were gone, there was an electric spike that shorted out our A/C and started a fire.

By the time we got home, the neighbors had already not only put out the fire, but they had moved all of the furniture out and were cleaning soot off of the walls.

The fire department showed up after that. lol

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Chickens? Seriously eggs are expensive but I don't like then enough to put up with filthy chickens and their excrement
you left off the communicable disease spread by chickens and the inevitable flies.
I like eggs just fine but chickens belong on chicken farms.
People are attracted to the economics of a free egg supply and I understand that but most have never heard of salmonella, listeria or e coli.
Backyard chickens are a health threat and can carry disease while appearing healthy.
Be surprised there is a gated community anywhere allowing chickens.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Here's one for you.

I suffered a medical emergency once and the better half took me to Bornigal.

While we were gone, there was an electric spike that shorted out our A/C and started a fire.

By the time we got home, the neighbors had already not only put out the fire, but they had moved all of the furniture out and were cleaning soot off of the walls.

The fire department showed up after that. lol

Awesome story. But I bet you and your better half were engaged in the community so that everyone knew who you were. I further bet that you and her were known as someone that helps others. I experienced this in Haiti all the time. It teaches you to be part of the community and not to isolate!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you're going to have K9's it's a wise idea to teach them not to eat things thrown to them over the fence. I lost 3 like that, and got robbed a few days later.

The dogs were a bigger loss than the crap they stole.
Near impossible to train a dog not to eat scraps on the ground, they just do not have that much self control when you are not around to watch them.
Poisoners use meats that are impossible to resist.
Only sure way is to use a dog muzzle that prevents them from eating scraps.
A dog poisoner is the lowest form of life and deserves a slow painful extermination.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sorry to hear about your dogs, losing them has always been hard for me. My old neighbor trained dogs in Vietnam. He told me to train them to only eat out of their bowls only. Was great advice something I would never have thought off. Silly question did you ever catch them?
Eating out of bowls will work when you are there to watch them.
Middle of the night and a big chunk of bologna or hamburger is a different thing.
Other issue is if you have more than one dog the first one to discover the poisonous treat will gobble it down so the other one does not get it.
The nature of the beast.
I wish there was a sure fire way to stop the poisoning of dogs but Dominicans" in general" do not value dogs.
If your dogs are poisoned here its because of excessive barking, killing neighbors chickens, cats, or you are targeted for burglary.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I'm the same. I like having security guards, pretty much everywhere I sleep is very close to security guards. Proper guards, not a watchy.

Reactions: AlterEgo