gathering service

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
could you please stop talking about "working ladies" I find the discussion offensive :)

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The sex trade is a significant part of DR culture. It's culturally acceptable and in your face every time you walk any street in any town, city, or tourist district. As demeaning as it is to the women that ply their trade in that industry, it does provide them with financial resources that puts food on their tables to feed their families. Many more colourful demeaning adjectives can be used to describe prostitutes. We have at our command one of the most precise communication instruments in the world, the English language. Working ladies, in my estimation, is one of the least demeaning ways to describe them. As for the discussion being upsetting, that's a personal perception thing. DR1 is, for the most part, an open forum where many provocative topics are discussed. If your offended by a specific discussion, you have the option of not reading it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The sex trade is a significant part of DR culture. It's culturally acceptable and in your face every time you walk any street in any town, city, or tourist district. As demeaning as it is to the women that ply their trade in that industry, it does provide them with financial resources that puts food on their tables to feed their families. Many more colourful demeaning adjectives can be used to describe prostitutes. We have at our command one of the most precise communication instruments in the world, the English language. Working ladies, in my estimation, is one of the least demeaning ways to describe them. As for the discussion being upsetting, that's a personal perception thing. DR1 is, for the most part, an open forum where many provocative topics are discussed. If your offended by a specific discussion, you have the option of not reading it.

Absolutely it is not. I walk on my street a hundred times a day and I've yet to see anyone practising the worlds oldest trade. The majority are feeding their habits for new clothing, shoes, and cellphones, not children.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Again, it's a matter of personal perception. I have been wintering here and visiting different towns and cities for six years. I reside in a tourist area and see prostitutes plying their trade in many areas all hours of the day. I don't specifically look for them. They approach me regularly. I encountered the same thing in Cuba which I visited several times. I have a circle of Dominican friends who discuss the sex trade with me as well as other DR cultural aspects. Generally, they don't see prostitution as a problem. The same can be said of the police, the hotel and resort managers, and others who benefit from the trade. I realize the trade is a symptom of the bigger problem, poverty. I don't doubt there are areas where prostitution is limited or non existent. I have yet to encounter them.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola a friend of mine is looking for a gathering service to invite friends to his new apartment

He lives in Sosua...
:)

Use plain words to tell us what you are saying? Gathering service is not commonly used terminology. Why would you ask for help and then make it difficult for the people you are asking to help you. Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 7, 2014
Use plain words to tell us what you are saying? Gathering service is not commonly used terminology. Why would you ask for help and then make it difficult for the people you are asking to help you. Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!
A gathering service is common parlance for a Witch Doctor

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Again, it's a matter of personal perception. I have been wintering here and visiting different towns and cities for six years. I reside in a tourist area and see prostitutes plying their trade in many areas all hours of the day. I don't specifically look for them. They approach me regularly. I encountered the same thing in Cuba which I visited several times. I have a circle of Dominican friends who discuss the sex trade with me as well as other DR cultural aspects. Generally, they don't see prostitution as a problem. The same can be said of the police, the hotel and resort managers, and others who benefit from the trade. I realize the trade is a symptom of the bigger problem, poverty. I don't doubt there are areas where prostitution is limited or non existent. I have yet to encounter them.

Maybe some old guys don't realize that when a woman taps him on the chest and asks "What you doing papi?" That she is a hooker.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I don't doubt that there are prostitutes in every town in the DR, but not all towns are like the coastal ones. It is a profession frowned upon by most Dominicans, perhaps just not your circle of friends. Anyways glad to hear that gathering service can refer to catering service. Makes sense. I have heard the term data gathering service and news gathering service numerous times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, not all sosua threads need to be about hookers. admittedly the OP opened a can of worms using unusual terminology but we know now that he is talking about food, snacks and so on. so please try to stick to the subject.
if anyone can offer advice regarding catering, please post away. any further musings about working ladies will be deleted.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Anyone consider that the OP might have been typing on a cell phone and Autocorrect reared its head?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Spanish-speakers pronounce "catering" as "cattering" which sounds a bit like "gathering".