Gay Dominican granted assylum in the US due to sexual orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....i am going to ramble on a bit here, but there is a point to this....honest.

santo domingo is a curious place......i always believe homosexuals are tolerated, and the topic taboo.
a dominican girl who worked with us was/is a lesbian, everyone knew it and she didn't keep it a secret. everyone was really nice to her face, but if anyone talked about her behind her back, the inevitable would eventually pop up...."you know she's a lesbian?".
that in itself is nothing...i can say that without flinching, but i found that most dominicans, be it men or women, would say it and screw their face up at the same time, waiting for a reaction, perhaps, of disgust...like...."urrgh! oh no! that's disgusting", but they are usually just as surprised when they don't get that reaction.

i love to see pretty ladies frolicking about in the nude....there's usually a tv channel in the early hours that shows two, three, even four girls in a bath, or in a bed together......when i wake the wife up, she goes ballistic....."that's disgusting" she says, followed by if you don't turn the telly off...i'm going to sleep in the kids' room", etc.

i've put these mentalities down to education......no i've never been educated in the finer arts of homosexuality, but in europe and north america (as well as other parts of the world), i'm sure the schools, the media, the church, etc......have all combined one way or another to help most of us accept (or maybe, not accept) this different way of living.

i'm not sure the same could be said about your average dominican....i don't think the majority are ever exposed to this way of life (i don't mean just by some dirty old man). if they are, it's nearly always in a negative light (....what's the positive light of homosexuality? ............apart from the fact you don't get pregnant).

an example of something different, but which you may be able to identify more, is what you are bound to observe when going to the beach with a dominican, or any american for that fact, and you see a girl with her mammaries flopping around.....okay.....a nubile young french girl in her twenties is one thing, but the americans (including dominicans) would go potty about a fat, eastern european woman in her fifties going topless....."look at her", they'd say...."catch a load of that. phwoarr!".........but this is an everyday occurrence for your average beach-going european....and he normally wouldn't bat an eyelid......not so for the average american (including dominicans) who has been starved so much of these delights, he'ĺl drool over any old thing(s).

well that's the bit about tolerance and taboo.

now the next bit,

santo domingo does seem to be a haven for people, especially foreigners, of the shirt-lifting persuasion - so it does seem a bit odd that the u.s. would consider asylum for somebody who claims to be persecuted just for being gay....when, if they just looked at their own records they can see that a large quantity of their own gay citizens spend a lot of their holidays here .......just in case, i'll add.....why would they, if the people here supposedly persecute homosexuals to such an extent that the local 'boys and girls' need to leave?
no...there's definitely more to that story......and i'm sure many of the previous posters already pinned it down.

finally.

i'm thinking of going to 'nu jork' and as people always tell me that you are free to do and say what you want in the u.s. and that there is also a lot of money for the taking there....even on the streets....i thought i would try a 'b' plan in case the 'yola' doesn't take off.
the homosexuality stuff does sound like a good scam to get myself one of those 'green cards'.....but as i said before, i have no desire to "take it up the behind"......do you think the americans (the u.s ones) would consider giving me asylum for another kind of sexual orientation?......................i saw a nice looking goat the other day.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
CyaBye3015 said:
Porfio,

Have it your way! My point was, (take the gay equation out of this) in the USA we allow some of the most undesirable people to become US citizens for all the wrong reasons.
And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? He is not becoming a US citizen, just a refugee. The Cuban scenario has nothing to do with this. And the point that some of us are making is that the situation as it is at the moment in the D.R. does not call for assylum-seeking.

People are not granted refugee status on the premises that they are better off in another country, asylum is for people whose lives are in clear and present danger due to persecution for reasons political, religious, racial, ethnic and even sexual orientation. That is not the case here. I have yet to hear of ONE case of a gay person killed just for being gay in the D.R. And as far as I know there is no official (as government-sanctioned) policy of discriminating gays.

As I said, what stops other Dominican gay people from requesting assylum in the US?

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Homophobic

Pib:

You seem to be the one that is Homophobic!
Your real colors are shown on the last post.
Were you molested as a child?
If someone is smart enough to get a Visa let it be.....gay or straight.
Is every maricon crying foul? NO. Leave it alone.
I still have not figured out the purpose of digging up this 10 year old article.
BTW: Great analogy to Columbus.....where did you dig that one up?

best,

lech.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Pib said:
And what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? He is not becoming a US citizen, just a refugee. The Cuban scenario has nothing to do with this. And the point that some of us are making is that the situation as it is at the moment in the D.R. does not call for assylum-seeking.

People are not granted refugee status on the premises that they are better off in another country, asylum is for people whose lives are in clear and present danger due to persecution for reasons political, religious, racial, ethnic and even sexual orientation. That is not the case here. I have yet to hear of ONE case of a gay person killed just for being gay in the D.R. And as far as I know there is no official (as government-sanctioned) policy of discriminating gays.

As I said, what stops other Dominican gay people from requesting assylum in the US?

OK Pib, , I'll concede, you're right as always, or as we say in the USA "UNCLE"

Joe

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
mis dos cheles

IMO gay males are being regarded as not true males but on par with females because they let themselves be penetrated (the ones that only penetrate are not seen as gay!) ... while being accepted up to a point they are seen as women and thus as slightly inferior to males in Latin machismo culture..

They will not be beaten up, but will be discriminated against.. apart from the arts scene where they usually find their homes. Gays do not have to hide their gayness if they accept being seen and treated like (inferior) women.

From my observation this is the most common attitude in Latin macho culture.

Cheers,

MD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
From The Start,This Thread Has Blurred The Line Between

Being a "Homosexual"ie."Gay",and being a Transvestite.Not both one and the same thing! Can be,not always!!!!!Soooooooooooooo this person was more than likely a Transvestite,therefore the "woman" label.Some are very beautiful,especially here,and this might make a "Macho Dominicano" question his manhood if he felt an attraction.Therefore he/they would treat the "Drag Queen" with aggression.
Ok,follow me now,here is where this gets interesting!Our friend ends up in Boston,gets all dressed up,("Fulano",becomes "Fulanita"!)and heads down to "Jaques",and the "Other Side" in the South End.Two of the places where "Normal" men go to pick-up "Drag Queens!This "Dominican Queen" finds out the "He/She" can make $500 a night on Friday,Sat.,and even Sunday giving the "Suburban Warriors" a "BJ" in the parking lot! That sure as hell beats making dresses in Bani for $150 a month! So his "Queen" friends hook him up with the liberal immigration gay lawyers "A$$"ociation,and he is now in Boston working as a "Pipe Fitter",non-union of course!
Things aare not aalways what they seen.
"Gay Bashing" is not a National Sport" here as it sometimes can be in the USA!Maybe the DR should be giving "A$$"ylem(Sorry For Doing That Twice In The Same Post)to "gays" from the USA!Not "visa"/versa!(Somebody shoot me!!!)
Cris "Colon"(This Is Nearly Over!)...Bad To The BONE! :D ........aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!CCCC

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
If this Guy Got asylum..Im sure he had enough evidence to prove that he would be killed in Dr for being Gay
Getting asylum in the USA is not easy

Status
Not open for further replies.