Generators and inverters

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
mondongo said:
what is worse for the environment: replacing/recycling a battery every few years, or burning several thousand gallons of gasoline?
Recycle? What's that? They do that here? We just throw ours into the river like the rest of the Dominicans. Nice thought, though!

Listen. Oftentimes when I have no electricity to run the water pumps I just pee on the hillside. Hey, the horses do! Every solution here has unintended consequences that eventually need to be dealt with. What's worse? Gasoline or lead? Well I guess that depends whether you're breathing the fumes, or drininking the water at the time the question is asked.

"It's unpleasently like being drunk."
"What's so unpleasent about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water."

- Douglas Adams in The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for all your replies. Cleef - fix that link!

I wasn't under any illusion that inverters would be "environmentally friendly" - I just wanted to know which one was less harmful, both to the wider environment and immediate health.

I suppose as long as my inverter doesn't drop onto someone' head from a great height we are OK? We have it in a ventilated outhouse but it is under one of the bedroom windows. Should I be concerned or is that just neurotic?

Chiri

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
One thing about inverters vs. Generators and the environment is that large scale electrical generation is much, much more efficient than smaller generator systems. This means that one giant generator producing for the whole region is polluting alot less and consuming less fuel than hundreds of individual generators. So Inverters ARE more friendly to the environment in that respect, since they essentially store the energy produced in more efficient larger power plants for use when the larger plants are not running.

BTW, if every Dominican household and business had an inverter setup, this would essentially double the country's power needs and put quite a bit more strain on the power grid (at least untill all the batteries were charged)

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Mr Mike,

Your headache from the invertor batteries is almost ceratinly due to the sulphur and hydrogen produced from the batteries! I doubt very much that enough lead concentrate could fly through the air from the battery cells and in to your brain in one week to do much damage:)

Probably against some of the rules but i have my invertor and batteries inside the apartment and the very reason is for corrosion. I dont have AC in the living room where the invertor and batteries are so the room is vented via the louver windows even though some times are do get a whiff of the suplhur (rotten eggs) and hydrogen bubbles from the batteries. But I agree i would not run an invertor and batteries in a closed room on AC where there is no air change and defenitily not a good idea to smoke anywhere near such an installation.

Some years ago i had a big 24 volt truck battery on charge that had a loose connection. The spark ignited the hydrogen released from the battery in a closed small room. There followed a massive explosion which burnt all the hairs on my arms and left me deaf for a week! The battery ripped in to about 4 peices and throw acid all over the place. Motto of the story is be very very careful with batteries:)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Bolt said:
... The spark ignited the hydrogen released from the battery in a closed small room. There followed a massive explosion which burnt all the hairs on my arms and left me deaf for a week! The battery ripped in to about 4 peices and throw acid all over the place ...

:confused:

No wonder you chose Bolt for your user name!

~Another Tom aka XR Post

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
The main problem with charging batteries in an enclosed area is that hydrogen gas is released. I doubt seriously there is any lead released. Remember, hydrogen is highly explosive. Also, it is lighter than air. It isn't a good idea to have the batteries in you home, but wherever they are, the hydrogen must be allowed to escape (think- vents in the peak of the containment area).

An exploding battery is a dreadful thing.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
generators etc.

MrMike said:
Mmmmph....mmmmmmph...(makes muffled noises through a gag)

I am not allowed to talk about inverters on this board until I take out a paid ad. Look for my ad next week.

Cannot find your ad. Have tried to e-mail you but it does not work. We wish to contact you urgently. Please send email to librian@eastlink.ca

da_marlboro_man

Apr 26, 2004
Any plans for wind farms in the DR

Sounds easier/cleaner/more reliable than building power plants. If only there were some money...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Solar vs. Generator

After calculating the costs of a solar powered system we opted for a generator.
Inverters do not like pumps and vice versa. Our pumps
(2x 3/4 HP and 2 x 1/2 HP) are run on the generator, whose operating time is only 2 hrs. daily.
See www.samanave.com for the set up.

mountainfrog

T

TiberiusMineola

Diesel Auto Engine usable as Generator? Experiences?

Has anyone in the DR tried using a small [1.5 - 2.5 ltr] diesel engine, while inside the car as a generator? Expeiences? There is an American supply house [www.heartlandamerica.com] which sells inverters which can be used with a car engine as a power source, from the cigarette lighter or hot wired. The car's DC battery, 12 V, is converted into 110 AC power. 150 W to 5,000 W, ranging from US $30. to $550. Would an auto deisel engine, 12 V system, be superior to a free standing diesel generator? Inferior? Workabl? Why? Anyone actually tried this? Comments. suggestions. Thank you.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
where to buy generator

in Santo Domingo???
Who would have the best collection of new generators to choose from, be it gas or diesel, also are propane gas generators AVAILABLE in the DR??? All the achive information has been great pros & cons of both types but I want to "see" my choices......

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Who & Where

skippys said:
in Santo Domingo???
Who would have the best collection of new generators to choose from, be it gas or diesel, also are propane gas generators AVAILABLE in the DR??? All the achive information has been great pros & cons of both types but I want to "see" my choices......

1. Get the addresses from the Yellow Pages (Plantas Electricas).
2. Go and see them.

mountainfrog

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Solar misconceptions and a way to save your batteries!

veinard said:
Hi,
you also seem to understand a lot of that kind of business, maybe you can have a look on my thread "solar energy business in DR" at the business forum. At the first glance my idea seems to be quite silly ... but on a midterm run, I am convinced it's something feasible, let's say within five to eight years to get such a manufacturing locally started ... what do you think about ?! Can you provide further input ?!

Thanks,
Benny

When I first read your post a while back I had figured it wasn't feasible. I just (two minutes ago) learned of a simular project being done near where I live. They plan to manufacture solar panels starting with 6-8 empolyees and moving to 20 to 30 in a couple of years. I was happy to learn that the local electrical company (in Taos, NM) was planning to purchase the panels for commercial energy generation. If you PM me I can try to look up who's involved and find more info. I would be glad to help out the alternative energy cause. I imagine that the company would feel that way too.

BTW, to those dissing solar; the current average energy payback for solar panel production in the US is about 2 years, this will decrease as thin film becomes a more popular production technique. Also the vast majority of solar users go through their homes to reduce the electrical requirements with more efficient items, making solar even more friendly. The pollution payback is quick as well, but much harder to define as lifecycle costs vary a lot by manufacturer and the mainstream choice one compares them too.

Generators are indeed far more poluting that most large scale plants. But, you could produce bio-diesel if you wanted and the emmisions are much lower normal for the plant size you use. Some believe that biodiesel actually removes net carbon-dioxide, once the life cycle of the fuel is considered. Biodiesel production from waste veggie oil is simple and involves only lye and methanol (ethanol is possible but really tricky). The net cost of a gallon of biodiesel assuming your used greese is free is around 40 cents, in the US. The veggie oil is almost always used as waste oil is cheap or free.

BTW, if your batteries are becoming sulfated (the normal reason they loose capacity with age), try a chemical called EDTA. In the US this can be obtained from a few solar dealers as well as alternative photochemical supplyer Bostick and Sullivan (www.bostick-sullivan.com). The EDTA removes the sulfite deposits on the plates and restores like dead batteries to almost new. In really bad cases you might also want to swap the electrolyte out. I have used this with my solar batteries and it is amazing how well it works. You mix the EDTA powder (a tablespoon per cell or more in larger cells) with DISTILLED water (or the purest water you can find) until disolved and then use it to replentish the evaporated water in your batteries. I have seen people take free dead batteries and use them for years.

The EDTA won't work for gel cells. Gels sound good in theory, but are far less tolerant of the sort of treatment people give them with the whole invterter charge/discharge deal than flooded batteries. They are just as bad for the environment. Their only plus is that they have a far greater ability to accept and provide amperage vs. battery size (ie you need fewer to deal with an a/c or refridgerators surge). They don't need watering either if you consider that a plus.

Someone asked about using a car as a planta. Bad idea, your car will run hot as its designed to be moving while the engine is under load. You can do it in a pinch but regular use will put a lot of wear on it. If you do it, use an inverter, don't go from 12v car to 12v battery bank as you won't fully charge the battery bank and will quickly sulfate your plates.

I've lived on solar electric for two and half years now near Taos, NM, USA and set up two homes with solar electricity.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thebes said:
..... BTW, to those dissing solar; the current average energy payback for solar panel production in the US is about 2 years, this will decrease as thin film becomes a more popular production technique. Also the vast majority of solar users go through their homes to reduce the electrical requirements with more efficient items, making solar even more friendly....

Just a question, how do you come up with a 2-year payback period? This sounds quite low to me and I would be interested in the detail here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thebes said:
BTW, if your batteries are becoming sulfated (the normal reason they loose capacity with age), try a chemical called EDTA. In the US this can be obtained from a few solar dealers as well as alternative photochemical supplyer Bostick and Sullivan (www.bostick-sullivan.com). The EDTA removes the sulfite deposits on the plates and restores like dead batteries to almost new. In really bad cases you might also want to swap the electrolyte out. I have used this with my solar batteries and it is amazing how well it works. You mix the EDTA powder (a tablespoon per cell or more in larger cells) with DISTILLED water (or the purest water you can find) until disolved and then use it to replentish the evaporated water in your batteries. I have seen people take free dead batteries and use them for years.
I am very interested in the possibility of using EDTA for my batteries.
The website mentioned speaks only of it's use in photogrphic applications.
Do you know of any website or message board where there is some talk about using it in batteries?
Thank you, Marco.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I have to respectfully disagree

with the 2 year pay back period. Not even with state subsidies.

600 KWh - 1000 KWh per month (US statistics on average house electrical usage) systems can easily run $30,000.00 USD.

And the average cost of a KW is @ $.05.

As much as I would love to use Solar and hydrogen fuel cells, it's not a payback in my life. Which is also cool with me.

Gary

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
EDTA referances

Rocky said:
I am very interested in the possibility of using EDTA for my batteries.
The website mentioned speaks only of it's use in photogrphic applications.
Do you know of any website or message board where there is some talk about using it in batteries?
Thank you, Marco.

Yes, it is not a very common application for EDTA, which is a fairly common chemical. It is used as a food preservative as well as in alternative photographic processes such as platinum palladium printing. It is chemically related to vinegar. Sadly, a lot of solar dealers and battery dealers have no interest in selling a $5 jar of the powder when they could instead sell $500 in new batteries. And many just don't know. B&S often sells the powder to solar people and motorcycle people who stop into their store. That is where I bought mine, although they didn't have specific instructions for its use.

Here are a few referances which I googled. I read through some of these same articles before I did my batteries. Some of these articles are mainly other battery related information with only a bit of edta info. They also talk about a electronic device that prevents sulfation from occuring but does less to restore already sulfated batteries, that device is pretty cheap ($50 or $60 I think) in the States. You might also try finding a magazine called Home Power, which has excellent info, they wrote the first of these articles.

http://www.homepower.com/files/edta.pdf

http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/essa/mar98/0169.html

http://www.cojoweb.com/rv-batteries.html

http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/essa/mar98/0172.html

I hope this helps. I know how expensive batteries are, and how quickly they die if you abuse them.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
you misunderstand

gmiller261 said:
with the 2 year pay back period. Not even with state subsidies.

600 KWh - 1000 KWh per month (US statistics on average house electrical usage) systems can easily run $30,000.00 USD.

And the average cost of a KW is @ $.05.

As much as I would love to use Solar and hydrogen fuel cells, it's not a payback in my life. Which is also cool with me.

Gary

You misunderstand me. The two year payback is in terms of the electricity used to make the panel versus the electricity produced by the panel. This number was formerly more like 5 years, but has according to recent publications has lessened considerably due to newer technologies (old cells were made as crystal cylinders and then cut, the kerf being all waste, not efficient). The publications are recent books and I believe a couple articles in Home Power magazine which I don't have handy at the moment.

Economic payback will depend upon calculating what energy you can save by first converting to more efficient technologies (some refridgerators are far more efficient than others, for example Conserv or SunFrost, or compact flourescent lights use 1/4 the electric of tungsten). Next you need to figure the costs of your whole system including panel mounts and wiring (often a lot more than you would think for these items). Some US states offer tax credits, if those apply they can really help. And estimate what you will be paying for electricity not at your current rate, but figure in almost certain increases. You can't forget interest or lost investment earnings either with the tied up funds. Again you must convert to high efficiency appliances or your system would cost several times as much; you could debate which figure should be used but the fact is almost everyone on solar minimizes their usage and almost no one on the grid does.

Depending upon an individuals situation economic payback is generally figured at 8 to 30 years. A LONG time, but solar does have other benifits and for many those are more important. Also many people in remote areas (I live several miles from any power line) find it much cheaper to install solar than have the grid extended to their location.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thebes said:
You misunderstand me. The two year payback is in terms of the electricity used to make the panel versus the electricity produced by the panel. This number was formerly more like 5 years, but has according to recent publications has lessened considerably due to newer technologies

Thanks for the clarification.