Getting a DR drivers license the “exchange of license” way.

I got my DR drivers license today and I did It the “cambio de licencia” way using my Valid canadian drivers license to get a DR one. So I skipped the steps of the knowledge test and road test.

What you need is Valid DR Residency, Valid Cedula, Valid Canadian provincially issued drivers license and a valid Canadian passport. 2 Photocopies of your Canadian drivers license, 2 photocopies of residency and 2 of your Cedula.
The process is called exchanging licenses but you don’t give up your Canadian license.

Step 1: Bring your Canadian drivers license, residency, cedula and passport to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo. Also bring a photocopy of your drivers license, cedula and residency.
Tell them you need a certification of your drivers license. It will cost 1800 pesos and will take 3 business days.
They will give you a receipt and tell you when it will be ready. This has to be done in SD.

When I went on Thursday they said they weren’t doing that at this time and I told them my friend just got his Dr license this way last week so she went and checked and said ok yes we are doing that. So if they say they aren’t doing it politely tell them they do it haha.
This took about 20 min.
Av. Winston Churchill 1099 Torre Citigroup en Acropolis Center, 18th Floor, Santo Domingo

Step 2: you pick up the certification of your license letter at the Canadian Embassey (should be a letter and your photocopied Canadian license together stamped from the embassy)
This took 15 min.

Step 3: pay at Banreserves for legalization of your drivers license certification. This is 620 pesos. I did the VIP service so it was 1200 pesos. Also pay for your drivers license fee at the bank, I forget the total fee. Tell them it’s for the changing of the drivers license and you need to pay for the second stage of the drivers license. You don’t want to pay for the knowledge test etc...it should be 950 pesos I believe.

Step 4: Go to the Cancilleria and get your certification letter and copy of the Canadian drivers license you picked up from the Embassy legalized. Bring the receipt of payment from BanReservas.
The VIP service is quicker but it was only about 30 min for my friend who did it the regular way. It took me more than 20 min with the VIP service bc the guy thought I was in the wrong building to do what I needed to do. (I wasn’t). When the normal worker helped me and not a manager it was done within 7 minutes.
Cancilleria
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Calle Ing. Huascar Tejada 752, Santo Domingo

Step 5: Go to Instituto Nacional de Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre (INTRANT ), Av. Tiradentes. Drivers license place).
Bring your receipts of payment from BanReservas for paying for your drivers license, one copy of your drivers license, cedula and residency as well as bringing all of those ID’s and passport. Also bring yours legalized certification of your drivers license.
The drivers license place was the easiest most relaxing part lol.

Go to info and tell them cambio De licencia. They will then tell you to go down the hall all the way to the back and then to the left and through a door then left again. You go Into a room with a guy with all of your documents he looks at them then tells you to go out the door to the left and wait there. They take your documents with your license cedula and residency do something for a few minutes then you go to another room and the lady takes your documents and does something else lol. Then she tells you to go to the registration area. You give your finger prints and documents and off you go with your documents to the room to the left for the eye exam ( took 30 seconds) covered one eye at a time and was asked 2 letters...
then to the room to the left to get your blood type. They prick your finger get your blood type (took 5 min) and off you go to the photo, info and signature area. They ask your address, phone number and take a pic and get your to sign. (5 min)
You then wait till they call your name for your new DR drivers license. Took about 5 min.
The whole time at the drivers license was about an hour and 15 min.

I did it this way bc I was coming to SD and I can be impatient and wanted the license in 3 days not a few weeks. If you don’t live in the capital and don’t mind tests etc it may just be as easy or easier to do it the regular way. I had to push this as well as a lot of people didn’t know what it was about. Luckily the most important place, the Drivers license place knew :).

This part I copied and translated the steps from the drivers license website:

Required documents:

1. Foreign driver's license valid at the date of the change, original plus one (1) copy.

2. Certification by diplomatic or consular issuance in the Dominican Republic, proving the validity of the license and category, this certification must be legalized in the original chancery and copy.

3. Current Dominican residence or with a Business Visa, Permit, letter or Work contract or Student Visa as applicable, original plus a copy.

4. Valid Passport.

5. Payment of Tax and Service online through the Virtual Office of INTRANT HERE (you must have a credit and / or debit card handy) or at the Bank of Banreservas.

7. Receipt of the Reserve Bank, of legalization of the Diplomatic certification.

1. Go to the Legal Department, the License Department and DEKOLOR (Located at the Headquarters of Driver's Licenses).

2. Go to the Registration area.

3. Move to the visual evaluation area.

4. Move to the blood typing area.

5. Go to data capture, photo and signature.

6. License delivery.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Sounds like too much work and my head is spinning. I will just keep on driving illegally.

I also wanted to add that other Countries can do this too. I know if you are American though you have to request the certification of your license in your country not here so that would be kinda annoying.
Also the prick of the finger for blood is just for your blood type.

Yes it is more work than res renewal! The total process over the 2 days I did stuff was 6 hours including the bank and traveling
Last week when I renewed my residency and cedula that took about 4 hours.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That's pretty much how I did mine about 8 years ago. At the time there was a Canadian consular office in Veron (PC area) and they did the first step in one day.
They are now pulling over gringos in the PC area and doing drivers license checks to see if you have a licence and how long you have been here. I think it's just the local propina stop for some extra Christmas cash disguised as something else.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also wanted to add that other Countries can do this too. I know if you are American though you have to request the certification of your license in your country not here so that would be kinda annoying.
Also the prick of the finger for blood is just for your blood type.

Yes it is more work than res renewal! The total process over the 2 days I did stuff was 6 hours including the bank and traveling
Last week when I renewed my residency and cedula that took about 4 hours.

It is not possible for US citizens to exchange licenses and forego the test process unless things changed. As far as I know it is impossible to get a certification of your license from the USA. Drivers licenses are issued by individual states and they do not certify them. Please correct me if you know of something different.

By the way, what made you renew residency, Harleysrock, after you said so many things about how great it was for you not to be legal in the DR?

And always remember, it is better they prick your finger and not finger your....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's pretty much how I did mine about 8 years ago. At the time there was a Canadian consular office in Veron (PC area) and they did the first step in one day.
They are now pulling over gringos in the PC area and doing drivers license checks to see if you have a licence and how long you have been here. I think it's just the local propina stop for some extra Christmas cash disguised as something else.

They are actually checking for how long people have been in country? No....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The process is actually very easy and renewal is much easier and quicker. Took me less than 5 minutes for renewal at the Multicenter on Winston Churchill in Santo Domingo, on a Saturday.

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
Here is the website to the equivalent of the DMV that has all your answers.
https://ov.intrant.gob.do/login

Getting a drivers license (or renewal) is not hard, you can pay at banreservas or online.
You need to have any fines paid up (if any) you can do all that as well at banreservas or online http://digesett.gob.do

Getting a new license vs trading in your expat one is the same as anywhere, you write a test, get a learners permit for 45 days, and then do a drivers test to change over to a full license. (Drive around the block don't hit anything) EASY.

and honestly it is respectable (if you live here) to do things properly as opposed to I will just driver here illegally.