Getting around the North Coat

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Should have explained myself!

To Howmar and Rellosk.

This guy was a friend of a friend. He inconvenienced himself to accomodate our needs. He also picked us up at the airport and took us back - free of charge.
Hell, I would have paid him that amount anyways, as it was the best day we had in Dominican Republic. He was not really available on Friday when we wanted him but he changed his plans. So.....all in all it was worth every cent of it. Had we not had a connection with him or known him, we would not have paid that much. I guess I should have explained the situation a little more so it wouldn't seem like we got ripped. I even wanted to buy his lunch but he declined. He also supplied the cooler and ice, so there you go.

Sorry, I will be a little more explicit the next time. Anyway you shake it, it was worth it to us!

Cheers!:classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
megamania said:
To Howmar and Rellosk.

This guy was a friend of a friend. He inconvenienced himself to accomodate our needs. He also picked us up at the airport and took us back - free of charge.
Hell, I would have paid him that amount anyways, as it was the best day we had in Dominican Republic. He was not really available on Friday when we wanted him but he changed his plans. So.....all in all it was worth every cent of it. Had we not had a connection with him or known him, we would not have paid that much. I guess I should have explained the situation a little more so it wouldn't seem like we got ripped. I even wanted to buy his lunch but he declined. He also supplied the cooler and ice, so there you go.

Sorry, I will be a little more explicit the next time. Anyway you shake it, it was worth it to us!

Cheers!:classic:
No problem, as the OP was inquiring about his transportation options, just didn't want them to think the price you quoted was the going rate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MEGAMANIA? Would you please contact the OP and inform them of your guy? It might make their holiday a lot easier.

OP: There are several guys that will provide all day-guided service for about 100 dollars or less. Board members know them. Wilson, his brother in law, JJ and others..

The gua-gua (so named because of the old horns the first ones used) is basically a refurbished school bus...Some are 30 passenger Mitsubishe/Toyota/Nissan/Kia/etc etc style buses. P?blicos are sort of like a semi-taxi, except that they take multiple passengers along fixed routes.
The suggestion you received about taking one to Sosua is pretty fair. As "gringos" you are generally much larger than the average Dominican, so you can rent the whole car, and, knowing how much the fare is, you won't get ripped off.
The Gua-gua from RIU over to Cabrera would be a wonderful trip. You'd have your seats and everyone else will try to talk to you and find out all about your life. Where are you from, what do you do, where are you going. You will be invited to their houses and before the trip is over, you will have new lifelong buddies~~:p:p

Dress appropiately: Long pants, Polo shirt, shoes and socks, cap, sun glasses. Take a little bag with more beach worthy clothing. Lots of sun block, a little bug spray (OFF with DEET)....I can guarantee a lot of fun..:p:p:p

HB (You guys got a ton of great information in this thread--I have saved HOWMAR's bus directions, they are good! And Megamania's experience is also very helpful.)

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
No Problem

Howmar - I realized after you responded that I was a little misleading to the OP as far as rates, etc. Glad it is cleared up!
Hillbilly - Now who told you I was a big-boned gringo????? Ha, Ha. (Just kidding)
Read you reply and I looked for Rambo's cell number. I will contact my friend in Cofresi beach area by email and try to locate his number and I will post it.
He really is a good guy and treated us real well. I know he does the school bus run for a few kids everyday, but has someone to do it when he does day trips, etc. I'll see what I can find.
(The experience of being part of the school bus run was really kinda neat! I was surprised that the kids spoke pretty good English) They were sure happy with the school supplies, play doe, etc. that we gave them before being dropped off. We were in no hurry, just savouring the entire experience!!)
Rambo does understand and speak English very well, so that helped a lot too!!

Happy Trails!!:rambo:

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Yep Wilson and his brother inlaw are great

As HB said "There are several guys that will provide all day-guided service for about 100 dollars or less. Board members know them. Wilson, his brother in law, JJ and others.."

I made arrangements over the phone from home (Ottawa Canada) with Wilson solely based on recommendations form this board to pick us up at the hotel and take us to Santiago to golf with HB last year (awesome day thanks again HB) and Wilson was there 100% on time but had some problem with the van (or a better offer came up) but had already arranged his brother in law to fulfill the commitment for the day. So I would not hesitate to recommend either of these gentlemen for your transportation needs in the PP, Sosua Cabarete areas.

MN_MargaritaVille

Jan 18, 2006
Hey all - thanks a ton!! This info is great.

HB I saw your private message and was attempting to save it and lost it!
I'm sorry but would you please resend the info?!

Awesome - thanks dude!

MN_MargaritaVille

Jan 18, 2006
See ya Friday .... As we arrive in DR...we are all looking very forward to our visit.

Hillbilly - we hooked up with your connection and JJ will be providing us a day of fun as we visit Sosua, Caberete (Master of the Ocean), Puerto Plata and the beautiful countryside. Thanks to you for your help!! Peace!!