Getting from Port-au-Prince to Puerto Plata

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
I need to get from Port-au-Prince to Puerto Plata. From what i'm seeing, I will have to go to Santo Domingo, then to POP? Is there any bus that goes from Port-Au-Prince to Santiago??

First time doing this and crossing the border so any solid advice is greatly appreciated.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am pretty sure there is no way of doing it without changing busses in Santo Domingo and you may have to go to a different bus station. Try not to make the change at night as there are thieves about. A Haitian of my acquaintance was robbed doing just this, and he doesn't look rich!

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
I need to get from Port-au-Prince to Puerto Plata. From what i'm seeing, I will have to go to Santo Domingo, then to POP? Is there any bus that goes from Port-Au-Prince to Santiago??

First time doing this and crossing the border so any solid advice is greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, there is no direct bus from P au P to Santiago

but if your take the Caribe Tour from P au P to Sto Dgo, you only have to buy a new ticket to Pto Pta at the Caribe Tour Station in Sto Dgo, easy as cake

every hour from 6am untill 7pm there is a Caribe Tours from Sto Dgo to Pto Pta

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Thank you for your replies!! However, i'm nervous more now hearing about your friend who was robbed. Is this a dangerous journye? Should I reconsider all together?

If I do the route to Santo Domingo, I will stay overnight at a hotel if I have to and bus it in the morning. I'm all about minimizing risk.

Would it be better to just go from Port-au-Prince to Cap- Haitian, then Cap to Puerto Plata?

Thanks a lot..

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There's no need to be nervous about the Caribe Terminal. The bus ride from PAP to SD is long, the driver helps you navigate customs, etc. but there is always the chance of issues at the border these days. The bus ride is long so you might, might miss the last PP bus. I would not be concerned about anything else unless you are wearing bling and flashing money. If you stay over just grab a taxi to your hotel.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Can't remember I'm on my third Barcel? egg nog. There are past posts on it though if you search.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
That border is extremely dangerous.

If you are a foreigner and can afford it.......Fly to Miami and then take a flight to DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
there used to be such a great flight to Haiti - flights I should say - only a half an hour and really not that much more than the bus... about $125. But it looks like Air Dominicana was the only one provider and that has folded. Now the only way by air is a 23 hour flight which costs over $1000 ....