Giant Cetipedes in the DR

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
I have learned quickly that if the haitians run from something that small in the DR that I should follow their lead.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I ve been told to smash the whole body at one time
head and tail covered
with a heavy book or flat heavy object

and if you see one........

I guess I need two books
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cutting works too. i remember those in our garden were cut with a shovel. pieces left for garzas. our garden was fun to fix. we removed 9 full truckloads of rubbish. including some real rubbish too, previous residents did not waste money for maintenance payments and dumped basura in the bushes. out of sight, out mind.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Bunch of babies, afraid of something so small; go figure!

I could kill that on my sleep. :chinese:

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Had my first in counter with these nasty  fckrs. Any advice on a spray or way to keep them out of the house?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
WE have a lock up room usually full of suitcases. It is dark in there so the creatures like it there...big ugly gaffers!
They seem to not like daylight and hide in dark places. So since I killed the last two by cutting them with machete ; for now they are gone. But keep the lock up room light on at all times.
During the cold months they like to cuddle in bed with you to share the body heat.
More will come, they always do!
Just a fact of life in the tropics.
Caught a 7 ft Dominican Boa in my tiki bar cana roof in March..scared the crap out of me because I was told there are no poison snakes in DR...true Boa's are not poison... doesn't have to be poison to scare the crup out of me. But they do consume centipedes.... so I am told. Also the centipedes kill and eat tarantulas..lots of them around as well. If we can just get the food chain going in the right direction the only thing left would be big fat Dominican Boa's.
Russell

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hell it was so nasty. My girlfriend  said a maskito net helps to keep them out of the bed. I sprayed the house with raid but not shour if that did anything. There are 2 one big and one small. Just when i got my girlfriend house in naveraty  comfortable enough for me to stay a few nights now this. Back to santiago for me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They can be nasty... I had one that sort of attacked me...

It was in the sheets/blankets at the foot of the bed... when I moved , it bit my foot
But on the underside - the tough skin... just irritated me... I didn't know what it was.

Then I rolled over... and it found the upper side of the foot.. my instep

OUCH !!

What I didn't like was that the rascal didn't bite and run away....
stayed right where it wanted to be and was trying make me go away!!

I killed it..........

My friend was bitten by a BIG one...on his neck..... numb arm for hours
4-5 inches long , his was
He's scared to death of them now

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
There are attachments for the bottom of exterior doors that touch the floor, not allowing anything to crawl underneath. And screens for the windows are a necessity for us. We have an outside space and an inside space, with a screened door that stays closed all the time. And never anything in the house.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....One did get in my bed about a year ago, with mi girl fren and me .....about 4.30 in morning I thought I was dreaming.... something was crawling down my arm, in my sleep I try to brush it off, only to receive a bite near my wrist....when I did wake up at 6.00 with a swollen red arm from my elbow to wrist that hurt like hell, and questioned girl fren, she did convince me that she was not responsible, as she would have bitten me somewhere else... looked everywhere... in the bathroom I saw the back end of a BIG one go down a floor drain.... be careful of your bed partners........Doc........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a 'huron' (sp) in the bedroom once...... elusive things.

Once back outside the dogs nailed it.
The neighborhood was fascinated to examine a dead one up close...

Bedroom is wide open to all kinds of bugs/animals

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anecdotal observations suggest that blue Mistolin mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle to wipe down counters, window tracks and to spray a six inch wide swath in front of doors (once a week) seems to discourage ants, centipedes and other crawling insects from crossing or lingering. Don't know if the blue formulation is significant, it's just the one I tend to buy.

Has no effect on lizards/geckos, some of which can be seen walking upright and trying to sell me insurance from time to time.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
As the saying goes, if you kill the head the body will die. That's how I do it, I stomp on their head.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Luckily  i have not had them in Santiago i live up on the 3 floor but in girlfriend's house  in naveraty are coming  in. Do thy come in through the shower and sink and toilet ? 

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
I went after a relatively small one, 6 inches, once with one of those mosquito raquets.  The thing got mad and attacked the raquet, just reared up and kept on biting it, sparks were flying and those electric popping sounds were going on but it just kept biting.  My friend took the raquet and beat it, chopped it into 4 pieces and the pieces moved for a little while.  

Another time I was washing my face in the bathroom sink and one of them, not sure how big, popped his head out of the overflow hole and waved his antennae at me.  I screamed bloody murder and ran through the house.  I was scared to wash my face in the sink after that, I didn’t dare close my eyes and so I kept getting soap in my eyes.  I told my handyman about it and his solution was to pour turpentine down the overflow hole so I got to smell that for a few months after.  

Saw huge ones in the yard a couple of times.  When they get past a certain length, they don’t walk in a straight line any more but they swish back and forth like a snake.  Which is what I thought it was the first time I saw one.  I went over to admire it, because I like snakes, and was horrified to see what it actually was.  It was at least a foot long.  I went screaming for the maid that time but by the time I got her and we went out there it was nowhere to be found.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
As the saying goes, if you kill the head the body will die. That's how I do it, I stomp on their head.

Careful buddy stepped on one he got it from other end very painful....seen my friends dog do the funky chicken on floor rushed to DR Bob and he a gave the dog something and was fine next day..