Good things Covid-19 has brought

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It is the responsibility of the Pharma-manufacturers to get the raw materials here in DR for production not the DR Government.

Let us keep this topic objective and not soooo subjective.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Maybe since the Chinese threatened to withhold drugs, the world will wise up and take production of all drugs and their precursors out of that country. Chinese communists are unreliable and don't produce reliable products.
Time to start going for cheapie cheapie everything. DR could be a base for manufacturing drugs, as was Puerto Rico, but unreliable and too expensive power together with poor quality water are also the reasons many pharmaceuticals left PR. And an inefficient workforce.
But it's worth a try if there is a good source of clean well water near real 24/7 power ?

Puerto Rico phasing out tax credits and tax deferments running out were the reasons companies including pharm left PR. Everybody knows this.

DR already have big pharm here. Bayer, Novartis, Rowe, Baxter, and Abbot Labs.. Already in the DR..

Last is that water has nothing to do with anything. Why? Because Pharmaceutical water high purity loops are required for drug manufacturing. This entails RO water as pre-treatment believe it or not. Then the water is de-ionized using separate bed demineralizers before passing through a final mixed bed de-ionizer.. End water quality = 18.3 megohm resistivity which is the relative theory of H2O. then it has to be sterilized before entering the continuous high purity loop.

Industrial water treatment is my thing, and these companies are clients is how I know they are already here. I'm sure there are more.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, more manufacturing would be a welcome outcome of Covid-19 in the Dominican Republic. But it has yet to happen.

Something that is already here for all... Go outside and notice the blue skies and sans pollution air. Wonder if we will even be able to see stars tonight!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, more manufacturing would be a welcome outcome of Covid-19 in the Dominican Republic. But it has yet to happen.

Something that is already here for all... Go outside and notice the blue skies and sans pollution air. Wonder if we will even be able to see stars tonight!

Do you not see stars on a regular basis within the RD?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I think it’s teaching people to just slow down. I know I’m looking at the big picture differently each day. Maybe that’s just me.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
But we all know this pricing can’t last without crushing a lot of economies ..great for end user terrible for production countries like Canada..

May 29, 2006
DR could be a base for manufacturing drugs, as was Puerto Rico, but unreliable and too expensive power together with poor quality water are also the reasons many pharmaceuticals left PR. And an inefficient workforce.
But it's worth a try if there is a good source of clean well water near real 24/7 power ?
No. PR was a tax haven which was then revoked by Clinton. Pharma then left the island. Power is expensive bc of huge import tariffs.

The DR needs to get into higher value agriculture and away from sugar. Mangos, aguacate, citrus, passion fruit, piña, palm oil, and others. The export sugar economy is supported by US subsidies which is why most sugar eaten in the DR is from Brasil.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not in Santo Domingo because of all the lights and the air pollution. Air pollution is now at a minimum, that is why last night saw many stars in the sky.

Actually, we may just be taking the time to notice them now. Which yes, would be a good thing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
CV19 has brought...quiet.

Yes, except it gets interrupted by ambulance sirens which makes it even more creepy. Oh, the joy of city living !!

On a more positive note, deep gratitude and appreciation for teachers who handle monsters/kids daily. They need a raise :)

Nurse, teachers, cops, researchers (paid peanuts), supermarket cashiers :bunny: