Goodbye Orange and Tricom, welcome Altice

Feb 7, 2007
Since Claro changed their CEO in the DR it has been head and shoulders above the others. Not only free roaming, but 1,000 free SMS per month. And they rollover data and calls to next month. They told me no to that, but I keep getting rollovers.

Rollover of data and calls is an official feature, and it's used as basic minutes instead of being used after basic minutes, which means anything not used up is rolled over again to the next month, as if it were basic minutes, up to the amount of minutes in your plan. Orange did have rollover as well, but rollover minutes were used up after using your basic minutes.

So let's say you had 1000 minutes and you used up 600, so 400 is rolled over. With Claro you had next month 1400 basic minutes, so if you again used up 600, 800 would be rolled over, because previous months 400 minutes would be used first. With Orange, with rollover minutes being used second, you would keep getting only 400 minutes rollover in the second month as well.

Now this all will be mute with new Indotel resolution coming live as of mid 2018, where rollovers must be kept for 3 months for full amount unused minutes, and unused minutes must be used first. Same for data and SMS.

One more thing with Claro Smart plans, Riva. You get free unlimited calls to all Claro mobiles, so basically half (or even more) of all your calls are free without using up your plan minutes.

And you get unlimited WhatsApp and social networks after using up your included data.

Now for December, Claro has a promotion for new activations or plan upgrades resulting in increase of $100 pesos or more, you get free double data for 3 years to be used 24/7 (bonus data to be used in DR only), and you get 75% of plan cost discount for the first 3 months if you port number from other company.

At the moment, for me, Claro Smart is the best thing out there.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Stopped into the Viva trailer in Sosua today. Picked up a prepaid sim and 1 week data plan. Good signal in town but an intermittent to nonexistent signal at home. I can get signal if I stand on my patio but not in the house so that is not terribly convenient.

Too bad, I can see a cell tower from my yard so that must be a Claro tower as neither Altice or Viva is strong enough to have an antenna there.

Oh well, we'll keep hoping for a major upgrade from Altice.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Stopped into the Viva trailer in Sosua today. Picked up a prepaid sim and 1 week data plan. Good signal in town but an intermittent to nonexistent signal at home. I can get signal if I stand on my patio but not in the house so that is not terribly convenient.

Too bad, I can see a cell tower from my yard so that must be a Claro tower as neither Altice or Viva is strong enough to have an antenna there.

Did you test the speed of the internet ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The trailer was in the METRO Bus parking lot that I mentioned? Sorry to hear that Viva does not have good coverage for you. That is no surprise since they are the third tier supplier.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I hope Altice did not bite off more than they can chew.

Altice is having a severe cash crunch and is heavily in debt. Some in finance do not believe they can make it without a sale of some of their assets.

The company is 5 times leveraged...cash to debt.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Facing $58B in debt after acquisition of Orange Dominicana and others, Telecoms and cable group Altice is reportedly looking to sell its business in the Dominican Republic, additionally, they just dumped their CEO.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Did you test the speed of the internet ?

Viva worked better on my Lte capable phone in downtown Sosua than Altice (Orange) simply because Orange at present provides only 3G and often only 2G/Edge around me.

With Altice, at least my phone when it is in the house will ring and I can answer it before having to walk outside to carry on the conversation. I have a pretty big hill between me and Sosua so the closest towers that I end up connected to when at home suffer from a reduced signal (3 bars).

If the players could ever get together and allow each other to mount transmitters on each others towers, that would be a step in the right direction. I went through the Claro account creation decathlon once already and won't do it again unless absolutely necessary. The cell tower on top of my hill that I can almost hit with a slingshot must be one of theirs.

Feb 7, 2007
Facing $58B in debt after acquisition of Orange Dominicana and others, Telecoms and cable group Altice is reportedly looking to sell its business in the Dominican Republic, additionally, they just dumped their CEO.

Apparently negotiating with LiLaC (part of Liberty Global) and Millicom (a Luxembourg telecom company active in Central America) to sell for 3 billion euros (they bought it for 1.1 billion from Orange and invested 300 million on top of that). Interesting fact according to FT and Bloomberg articles is that the DomRep ops is the most profitable one in the whole holding structure based on EBITDA % to revenue.

So maybe we will soon need to rename the thread, good bye Altice, hello Lime, or good bye Altice, hello Tigo.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Viva worked better on my Lte capable phone in downtown Sosua than Altice (Orange) simply because Orange at present provides only 3G and often only 2G/Edge around me.

So even VIVA being the 3rd provider started with better LTE coverage then Altice.

With Altice, at least my phone when it is in the house will ring and I can answer it before having to walk outside to carry on the conversation. I have a pretty big hill between me and Sosua so the closest towers that I end up connected to when at home suffer from a reduced signal (3 bars).

If the players could ever get together and allow each other to mount transmitters on each others towers, that would be a step in the right direction. I went through the Claro account creation decathlon once already and won't do it again unless absolutely necessary. The cell tower on top of my hill that I can almost hit with a slingshot must be one of theirs.

VIVA has some cells in Altice towells, and Altice has on some of VIVA's Towells too, but that should be great if could happend, seams that Claro is the one that reject to do it, VIVA told Indotel to rule about that in the same way that Mexico did. The coverage on VIVA is getting better so hopefully they will have more towells allover, and too bad that your area has a hill in front of your house and block you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We were listening to 12 y 2 a couple of days ago, and a guy called in stating that Altice was named because it was similar to how some pronounce "Haiti" (aiy TI), that the owners were "pro one-country island," so every patriotic Dominican should drop their Alitce (Orange) service.

:sigh:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can check all options for roaming on your phone. Just do not check auto. Then you can choose Claro if it is on there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
not saying oit disappeared....

just that Altice seems to override the roaming feature.... knocking Claro off
might be a stronger signal

You can check all options for roaming on your phone. Just do not check auto. Then you can choose Claro if it is on there.

As SKY pointed out, some setting on your phone is not allowing you to see CLARO. Change that and maybe your phone Can See Claro...

[video=youtube;FscIgtDJFXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscIgtDJFXg[/video]

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We were listening to 12 y 2 a couple of days ago, and a guy called in stating that Altice was named because it was similar to how some pronounce "Haiti" (aiy TI), that the owners were "pro one-country island," so every patriotic Dominican should drop their Alitce (Orange) service.

:sigh:

Cobra you need to get a top for that Cobra. The hot sun is giving you heat stroke. Altice is a Dutch company and doing business as Altice long before buying Orange - but just wait the rumor is they are (if not already) looking to sell the DR holding. Hopefully someone fixes the Network and they install 4G in more areas soon.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Cobra you need to get a top for that Cobra. The hot sun is giving you heat stroke. Altice is a Dutch company and doing business as Altice long before buying Orange - but just wait the rumor is they are (if not already) looking to sell the DR holding. Hopefully someone fixes the Network and they install 4G in more areas soon.

Altice is a French company with their HQ in Amsterdam, I suppose for tax reasons.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Altice is a French company with their HQ in Amsterdam, I suppose for tax reasons.
Well that maybe but it's owned by a Morocan Jew, Patrick Drahi, who lives in Switzerland. Truly an international mix.
But I got this off the Wikipedia: Patrick Drahi (Hebrew: פטריק דרהי‎‎; born 1963) is a Moroccan-born businessman with French, Portuguese and Israeli citizenship,[2] living in Switzerland since 1999.[3] He is the founder and controlling shareholder of the Netherlands-based telecom group Altice listed on the Euronext Amsterdam stock exchange.