Gorditos in Sosua

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Kudos to Gorditos. Gotta love the North American obsession with fast food. Cabarete was and still is a bit too far to go for me when I have a graving for calories. Glad the option now exists closer to home. Was there for lunch the other day and ended up bringing home dinner as well. 

I propose that whole pedestrian mall be turned into A "Mall of America" type food court. Just imagine the cholesterol pool we could fill with options such as Chicago deep dish pizza, hoagies, KFC and my personal favorite and much missed North Americanized Chinese food all open until the bars close with delivery options for those who just wish to cower in our gated enclaves and pig out. 

One step at a time. I wonder if Joe knows any Cantonese artistes from the north?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
There is a chinese restaurant on Pedro Clisante about 2 blocks past the pulga on same side.
Fried rice is good. Other items were chicken, lo mein and veggies.  
Don't think you can order like in Cabarete but not as greasy either.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
There is a chinese restaurant on Pedro Clisante about 2 blocks past the pulga on same side.
Fried rice is good. Other items were chicken, lo mein and veggies.  
Don't think you can order like in Cabarete but not as greasy either.

It's in the same spot that was once Fred's "Cuba Libre Bar". 

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
There are absolutely ZERO authentic Chinese joints on the north coast. If your OK with slop disguising itself as Chinese food, good on ya. Bye the way, it's the year of the rooster.

Gung hey fat choy!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Joe and Deirdre are the only owners of both Gorditos. ( I asked them)
Weird rumors never stop in Sosua Lol.

Interesting, I just spoke last night to the fellow who has the bar opposite the new Gorditos in Sosua , while I was playing with Island Breeze at The Checkpoint. . He told me that he is the co-owner of Gorditos, his nick-name is "Cheese", and came from Nashville, TN fairly recently.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Interesting, I just spoke last night to the fellow who has the bar opposite the new Gorditos in Sosua , while I was playing with Island Breeze at The Checkpoint. . He told me that he is the co-owner of Gorditos, his nick-name is "Cheese", and came from Nashville, TN fairly recently.
Brian Nichol's nickname is "Cheese".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was Harlequin I was referring to...

Assuring us that Joe and Deirdre were the owners.... your man has been mentioned several times as the coowner .

Why would either of them lie?

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
I don't care who the owners are as long as the food is consistently, dependably delicious like in Cabarete and fairly priced.

That's all that really matters.

Armando & Willie could own it and it would not matter :eek:gre::bored:

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Who cares? If you must know, go ask both parties directly! Ughhhhh ................

Aug 21, 2007
I drove by the ohter day and it looked closed. They're still open? .

Of course, it is still open. Good client base. The place was full when we arrived.

Why do dr1'ers need to nit pick so? The food is good. The owner is on premises, supervising and cooking. The place is full. Sosua needs restaurants such as this.

Why do we have to argue whether there is a co-owner or not, and if so, who it may be?

For goodness sake (pun intended) move on and appreciate what we have before it goes away.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Of course, it is still open. Good client base. The place was full when we arrived.

Why do dr1'ers need to nit pick so? The food is good. The owner is on premises, supervising and cooking. The place is full. Sosua needs restaurants such as this.

Why do we have to argue whether there is a co-owner or not, and if so, who it may be?

For goodness sake (pun intended) move on and appreciate what we have before it goes away.

Lindsey

maybe people complain and grumble because they wish that they were running a successful restaurant, or business of any kind, but are unable to oversee the sale of a jug of lemonade.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Restaurant Review - Gorditos Sosua

Today I had to drop some papers at the Guzman office in Sosua so I planned the trip from Costambar around lunchtime so I could give Gorditos a try. I love Mexican, Tex/Mex so I've been looking forward to trying it. I had three tacos--one pork, one chicken, one beef. I wanted crispy (traditional) taco shells but they were out (at 12:15) so I opted for soft. All three had a good portion of meat, some cheese, some salsa (tomatoes and something else, but not much cilantro), and some shredded dark greens (lettuce, not cilantro). I liked the pork a lot. It was lean with just the right amount of spice. The chicken was OK but it was chopped and not seasoned very much. The ground beef was OK too, but not spicy at all. The fish is everyone's favorite, I'm told, but I personally just never accepted that fish was appropriate for a taco. Lots of people had it, however, and really liked it. I was disappointed that there weren't any chips for salsa. They had salsa but I didn't try it since they were out of chips. They charge for them and I was willing to pay. I had a side of black beans in a tiny little cup, which was fine since I was stuffed anyway. They were cooked well, but again, not spicy at all. I did order a Margarita (with salt) and it was fine...not great but fine. Overall, the prices were very good. My total meal was just over 400 pesos (including the Margarita, which was in a tall glass). As you can see, I was pleased but not overjoyed.... I'll stop in again but it didn't really satisfy my craving for Mexican (spicy) food. I'm not criticizing...just giving my personal opinion. Hope all will stop in to support this new restaurant and bar in the Centrepoint plaza of Sosua!

Moderator: Thanks for moving...makes sense to put it here with the rest of the comments!

Last edited:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you tell them you want your food spicy, they will add spice. If you don't they make it mild. It's a matter of how you like it.