Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ok, that is good to know and interesting... The man who gave me the incorrect info had been drinking a little that afternoon ,I guess...lol Nice crowd of Expats there , always..

I liked the Fish and Chips at El Conde a lot, and the real Bratwurst was also very good.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok, that is good to know and interesting... The man who gave me the incorrect info had been drinking a little that afternoon ,I guess...lol Nice crowd of Expats there , always..

I liked the Fish and Chips at El Conde a lot, and the real Bratwurst was also very good.

Are the Fish and Chips available every day or just as a special on certain days of the week?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Tom, if you know Nick then you know he would have resolved this issue in a flash, there is nothing he cares about more than his clients. I had apple pie last night and it was delicious and several other people also had some around me. Not sure what happened with yours but never fail to tell Nick if you are not satisfied. There are very few complaints at his restaurant but his customer service is second to none if there is ever an issue.

Funny we eat there all the time and the apple pie is a favorite. We had it last week and ours too was thin and usemi raw dough. It was more like an apple jam pop-tart. We told Nick and he was very good about it and took them off the bill. Great place, Great guy, Great food.

Bob K

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
El Conde is now serving breakfast and I went there yesterday and had the Eggs Benedict and it was to die for!!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I was at El Conde with my family on Saturday night for the steak and shrimp night. I had the Beef Siracha for starter, oh my god, out of this world. Then had the churrasco and shrimp special, delicious. My wife and eldest daughter had the Tempura shrimp special and my youngest along with her cousin both had burgers. Dinner for 5 including drinks 2800 pesos including tax....great food at amazing price!

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
What with the standing over you after they deliver the bill? I even had a waitress point to the tip descriptions on the bill. It was written out what a 10%, 15% and 20% tip was....actually calculated and typed onto the bottom of the bill.

She pointed to it in case I missed it when I read the bill. Of course it was under the ITBIS and Impuesto.

When she left, she gathered with 2 other servers and started talking to them about it. After I told her uno momento por favor....wth.

I guess tact is not in the vernacular.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Are the chips within the Fish and Chips platter hand cut, or frozen store bought?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
What with the standing over you after they deliver the bill? I even had a waitress point to the tip descriptions on the bill. It was written out what a 10%, 15% and 20% tip was....actually calculated and typed onto the bottom of the bill.

She pointed to it in case I missed it when I read the bill. Of course it was under the ITBIS and Impuesto.

When she left, she gathered with 2 other servers and started talking to them about it. After I told her uno momento por favor....wth.

Buddy,

You're not at The Four Seasons......

Relax......

They're just trying to make a little money.......

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete

Which restaurant are you talking about as I don't think this is regarding El Conde?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Not the standing over part.... but suggesting the 10-15-20% options is a regular happening these days on many bills.

The credit card companies do it... it's a function of the machine or your card company...

Now the pointing !! another matter.

I missed the decimal once and the driver said
WHAT!! you gave me a 5 cent tip ?????

I hate that suggestion box.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not correct, the chips at El Conde are hand cut, never frozen

I know the vege man delivers some of his Super Fresh Veggies there ..
but was not sure about the Potatoes
thanks for the clarification.

They are delish .

This Place definitely deserves all the Positive attention it has been getting..

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Yes, Patrick delivers the veggies to Nick. They are the best veggies you can get on the island. Patrick hand picks the veggies himself, including the potatoes which Nick buys
. I am not a huge broccoli fan, but I eat the broccoli he delivers! If you ever see him in the street, flag him down and buy his veggies!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not the standing over part.... but suggesting the 10-15-20% options is a regular happening these days on many bills.

The credit card companies do it... it's a function of the machine or your card company...

Now the pointing !! another matter.

I missed the decimal once and the driver said
WHAT!! you gave me a 5 cent tip ?????

I hate that suggestion box.....

It has been a regular happening in other parts of the world for over twenty five years. It depends on the computer software the restaurant is using for their accounting/billing purposes. The software is not new, is meant to aid diners, and is not the fault of the employees working in the establishment. With that said, if they do stand there tapping their pen at a certain number, feel free to tip a gratuity using the lowest number, if any at all. On their part, it is simply rude. They will catch on rather swiftly to proper manners.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I will be coming to Sosua for about a week on vacation next month. Does anyone know where I can get some good red beans and rice?

When I was in DR about two decades ago on holiday, there was a restaurant off the main bus station in Santiago. The place had absolutely the best red beans and rice. That dish was something to be worshipped almost. The fine rice (in the Japanese style) was served in an inverted bowl shape and the red beans were served separate in a bowl. The beans were poured over the rice.

I went there only once with some friends but have not been back since. I'm wondering if there is a good red beans & rice place like that in Sosua?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will be coming to Sosua for about a week on vacation next month. Does anyone know where I can get some good red beans and rice?

When I was in DR about two decades ago on holiday, there was a restaurant off the main bus station in Santiago. The place had absolutely the best red beans and rice. That dish was something to be worshipped almost. The fine rice (in the Japanese style) was served in an inverted bowl shape and the red beans were served separate in a bowl. The beans were poured over the rice.

I went there only once with some friends but have not been back since. I'm wondering if there is a good red beans & rice place like that in Sosua?

Even though every Dominican restaurant has "rice and beans" they are not all equal. You should be able to find some. I like the place down the hill from CMC and also the place named Yanet's down the side street from the former Car Wash for such Dominican fare.