Gringa/Dominicana looks LADIES ONLY

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
It's gradually changing but it still hits the headlines from time to time. Women being fired or told to straighten their hair and schools sending girls home for wearing their "natural" hair. A recent one was when the Minister of Higher Education told a scholarship applicant she wouldn't be considered with her hair in that state.

https://acento.com.do/2016/actualid...ia-ministra-le-nego-beca-pos-grado-pelo-afro/

This woman has a famous salon for women with curly hair and runs a campaign on the issue:
https://www.facebook.com/Miss-Rizos-235632179794319/

when I was little and where I grew up, all black people had the same hairdo, an afro

all the men and women had the same do, basically, just women had more hair than men

evetually, the chemicals and techniques were invented to make the hair more manageable and stylable

so these “no curl” policies mean that a woman can’t wear an afro hairdo???

some of these chemicals contain heavy metals and other toxins and they murder the hair!  what if they just want their hair and body to remain healthy?!

TotalBlondee

Dec 26, 2016
No wonder all the little kids look at me on the guagua! The shorter my hair is, the curlier. I wear it a bit longer in the DR and love how the humidity keeps it curly and the sun "brightens" my natural honey blonde color.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I get my hair colored at a Dominican salon. While last there, there was a beautiful little girl of 8 years old with long painted nail tips. Creeped me out. 

When I was at Blue Mall Punta Cana over Christmas, I saw a little girl, maybe 4-5 years old, with her mother and father.  No idea what nationality, but she had dyed blond hair, it was very yellow and obviously fake.  She had dark roots showing a little, maybe half an inch. It was not sun- bleached. Coloured exactly the same as her mother.  I can’t imagine bleaching a little child’s hair like that. Coloured spray at Halloween maybe, but this was intentional and permanent.  

Like many, I can’t watch Toddlers and Tiaras and such shows.  So horrific.  

I painted a Dominican friend’s 8 year old’s short, trimmed nails a hot pink color once.  Mom said it was far too bright and would be scandalous.  That was so strange to me, but we took it off and painted a soft pink instead. Her mom was fine with it then.  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When I was at Blue Mall Punta Cana over Christmas, I saw a little girl, maybe 4-5 years old, with her mother and father.  No idea what nationality, but she had dyed blond hair, it was very yellow and obviously fake.  She had dark roots showing a little, maybe half an inch. It was not sun- bleached. Coloured exactly the same as her mother.  I can’t imagine bleaching a little child’s hair like that. Coloured spray at Halloween maybe, but this was intentional and permanent.  

I painted a Dominican friend’s 8 year old’s short, trimmed nails a hot pink color once.  Mom said it was far too bright and would be scandalous.  That was so strange to me, but we took it off and painted a soft pink instead. Her mom was fine with it then.  

I got into trouble with Mr AEs brother when our girls were young, because I painted his daughter’s nails. Nothing garish. Some families are very conservative with daughters. I remember another niece, early 20s, whose father forbade her to color her hair. 

Our daughter had much more freedom 

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

When I was still managing the small hotel in Sosua, I decided to make a party for staff and family. Basic, chips, dip, burgers, rice, beans, use the pool. etc. One of the granddaughters, who was 6 at the time, showed up in full makeup, skinny jeans, hooker top, and kitten heels.

The sexualization of girl-children here terrifies me. But I am a guest in this country.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It really is terrifying, no matter which country.  Who is responsible? Their parents. Culture. Media. Society.  It bothers me in the DR when I see a toddler pop her hip out and put her hand on her waist for a photo.  The kitten heels and make up and bra tops etc. are just sickening.  

I’m glad I have sons instead of daughters, but raising them to be husbands and fathers that take a stance against this grotesque hyper-sexualization is so important. I find it daunting but I’m determined, otherwise they are just contributing to the problem. They are not yet halfway into their second year. :surprised

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You shouldn't worry. If you and the man in their life set good examples it will all turn out.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It really is terrifying, no matter which country.  Who is responsible? Their parents. Culture. Media. Society.  It bothers me in the DR when I see a toddler pop her hip out and put her hand on her waist for a photo.  The kitten heels and make up and bra tops etc. are just sickening.   
Yeah, when I see a toddler in that trashy pose sticking her booty out, that really bothers me too.

Grillitax

Oct 5, 2019
The women here are so insecure..... or super secure?
It’s all about how you look.
Do brains matter at all?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Speaking of hair just back in country. Went to get hair trimmed.
Stylist sitting talking to group. Was happy to see me but when I said I wanted a trim
said he had someone coming in. I said "Cinco minutos" as that's how long
it takes and he said no. Owner or cashier was not happy he did not move. Said to me can you come in at 4.
I said no and left. A friend who used to go there now goes elsewhere. I will try her elsewhere.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I remember likely the worst haircut of my life- at the hands of a Dominicana stylist. She took a handful of my bangs in the front and then extra hair. I thought maybe she was going to snip the split ends that stuck out?

So no, that was not the plan. By the time I realized what she was doing, it was too late. My mouth was half opened in protest when she snipped off my bangs and then some- nearly giving me a partial bloody mullet. My hair is very fine and thin, but plentiful. I have to be careful how I get it cut so it doesn’t look lifeless. That one snip destroyed any potential for shape and gave me this weird, 90s Jennifer Anniston layered look that I despised. I wore it half up or pinned up for about a year afterward. I don’t think the stylist had much experience with my kind of hair. She was new, worked in a fancy salon, and I didn’t want to get her fired. So I just said very discreetly and pointed to my bangs “Demasiado aqui” and told her it was okay. Maybe taking a huge section at the front of the head like that, twisting it, and then snipping it right off is the thing to do, but it sure didn’t work for me.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I had never had a blow out before getting my hear done in the DR. Definitely not a girly girl here so it was only cause I was forced to for my brother's wedding in POP. I could have done the same thing with my straightener in 5 minutes. But it was fine.

My only issue was the EYEBROWS!! I have what I consider to be fairly normal eyebrows. I get them plucked every so often but that's the extent of their upkeep. Before my brother's wedding, the lady in the spa at our hotel in the DR spent 30 minutes just on my eye brows - never letting me look. Finally, as we were running crazy late, I insisted that I see them. She had DRAWN big crazy eyebrows over top of my brows and I looked like I belonged in the Angry Birds movie!!! I had them wiped off immediately and bolted out of there!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I avoid hairdressers here like the plague. The blow drying singes your scalp - total torture, and last time I went here, the hairdresser had chicken pox she said, so she could cut my hair, but not blow dry as you can't blow dry with chicken pox apparently. She did a decent job - and 2 weeks later I went down with shingles!

Matilda

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I should be ashamed to admit that it actually pleases me to shock my inlaws by avoiding the salon like the plague...and being wash and go like so many of you here!

Hadn't heard the blowdrying with chicken pox no no before...but shall add it to that list of 'hard-to-wrap-my-head-around-things'!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ayyy the eyebrow thing. I have yet to figure out the "painted on" eyebrows that some find so attractive. Going to the salon has never been one of the my favorite things to do. I can not tell you how many times I have left the salon only to go home and undo what they have done. God forbid a quick trim. And please do not let me get started on the wax job. Never and I repeat never again...lol

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Okay, I think I need to get you started on the wax job hahaha. Reading your post it dawned on me that while I have seen my sisters in law both pre and post wax, I have never heard or seen how it is done. I am now intrigued.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Blowouts left my scalp hurting and my hair didn’t tolerate them. I can’t imagine how any hair type stays healthy having that amount of heat and stress applied once or twice a week.

On a more positive note, I got these clip in hair extensions made for my wedding. My hair isn’t very thick, but there’s a lot of it. I thought they wouldn’t work and would slide out and look terrible. The Dominicana stylist who did my hair was a true wizard and made my hair do exactly what we wanted. She was not gentle or soft by any means and my scalp hurt, but I loved my hair. She’s in the States now but I still follow her on Instagram.