gringo exodus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I absolutely agree. I would love to get a gas dryer, solar water heater, inverter A/C's, and solar pool pump. But, I am renting the house and not sure if I am going to live her for long. If I ever buy, or decide to stay long term I will update and spend the money.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
How do you dry your cloths ?? lay them out in the sun or on a shrub like the locals.

Exactly....... I use a very sophisticated machine called a clothes hanger......... helps the environement......

but I do put towels in the dryer, makes them softer.......

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
How do you dry your cloths ?? lay them out in the sun or on a shrub like the locals.

I have to admit I used to be surprised to see people with Dryer in a warm country. Until on one trip to DR (a rainy January), clothes wouldn't dry as it was so humid, some of my children clothes were even damaged by the humidity.
But, I still think driers are not good for clothes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We brought down an old fashioned double-pulley clothes line like my mother used when I was a little girl. One side hooks to the house, the other side to an orange tree. :)

Clothes are dry very fast. Maid simply doesn't "get" it, tries to hang on the top instead of the bottom, etc., so I do it myself.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I use a clothes horse ( I think thats what it is called ), so if it starts raining u can just carry it in........
For bigger stuff like sheets and rugs, white rope... :bunny:

Oops, sorry dv8, just saw ure post.:nervous:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I definitely need a cloth's line. I'm afraid I am the only one who'd use it. I married a city mouse.

To re-rail the train...

Top 7 reasons I am still on the fence, and am considering going home...

1. Money. Now matter how well you prepare, nothing can prepare you for how expensive it is to live here. And, I want toys damn it! My money goes a lot further back home. Things are cheaper and of better quality.

2. The heat. I hate winter, but it sure is hot in the summer months. I'm not sure it any different to spend 5 months cooped up in front of a heater, or 5 months sitting in front of an A/C.

3. Health and Safety. Can't really count on the police or healthcare system. It's a concern. It's unnerving to see police officers.

4. Getting stuff done. With a combination of the heat, not being able to find what I need, the expense, and difficulty with the locals, I find it so difficult to complete the simplest tasks. It took me weeks to get a new headlight for my car...

5. No future. I had planned on starting some sort of business here. Not a get rich thing, not even something to sustain my lifestyle necessarily, but a hobby and some extra money. The business environment is scary here, banking isn't good at all, and it is difficult to find good employees.

6. The expense for my family to come visit. I miss my family and friends. This could be alleviated by moving closer to PUJ or SDQ.

7. Residency. It is such a hassle and a big expense to get residency. Especially for a family of five. And, I receive no benefit from being a legal resident. I don't work here, I'm not planning on borrowing money, I don't use government services. Now with the increased exit fees, it will cost me a ton of money to fly home to visit, or leave.

Lease is up in a year and half. I guess we'll see. I'd love to make it work, get myself a little finca in the Camp, build a house and have a hobby farm, buy a boat... But, I dunno if all the hassle and expense is worth it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you know this thread is not about drying clothing, right?

True - but all the people who are talking about it are still in DR, not part of the "exodus" - yet.

Less depressing.

Like you, I'm there because I love my Dominican husband. I embrace the country with all its warts, because it's home to him.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Like you, I'm there because I love my Dominican husband. I embrace the country with all its warts, because it's home to him.

the only difference is that i do not embrace DR. i don't want to get the cooties.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
The exodus of gringo could be argued. A much greater threat to DR is the eventual opening of Cuba. Once the uS and Cuba re establish diplomatic relations tourism from the U.S. will plummet. I know I am waiting with baited breath.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The exodus of gringo could be argued. A much greater threat to DR is the eventual opening of Cuba. Once the uS and Cuba re establish diplomatic relations tourism from the U.S. will plummet. I know I am waiting with baited breath.

you know this thread is not about US and Cuba relationship, right? Nor Obama ? Nor US foreign policy ? :laugh:

But I don't see it happening anytime soon, nor envision an exodus from Puerto Plata to Havana...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you know this thread is not about US and Cuba relationship, right? Nor Obama ? Nor US foreign policy ? :laugh:

But I don't see it anything soon, nor envision an exodus from Puerto Plata to Havana...

there is nobody in Puerto Plata to exodus anywhere.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
1. Money. Now matter how well you prepare, nothing can prepare you for how expensive it is to live here. And, I want toys damn it! My money goes a lot further back home. Things are cheaper and of better quality.

This, I don't get. I don't know where you come from, but my life here is so much cheaper than where I come from - the UK. OK - I don't spend a lot on "toys", but I have all the basic luxuries - car, TV, washing machine, computer etc, but once you have purchased those things, the basics of life like food and drink are much cheaper unless you insist on using the products from your own country. Getting work done is much cheaper too, once you find reliable people.

And I still don't get how you pay US$550 per month on electricity (earlier post), even using three A/C units, unless you rarely turn them off. I run seven apartments (OK - without A/C) and my total monthly bill is a fraction of that.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

Most would want an alternative to the DR but Cuba has way less infrastructure than the Dominican Republic. If people are complaining about life in the DR it would seem like paradise compared to Cuba.

Status
Not open for further replies.