Guagua Fun

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not really that fond of those crowded guagua trips, but this was a true necessity.

I'm a bit burned out after the past few months here.... too many troubles.
Certainly ready to jump ship 

Bronxboyatheart.... cue me

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go....

Remember me when you're ready to give up the Wrangler.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It too was in the shop....66,000 miles and purrs.

New blower tarjeta, windshields washers back in action, new fuel pump/flota.... all good.

Remember, I had 'islandised' before shipping it here...locked the rear wheels, roof rack and light bar....upped the suspension
Perfectly adapted...

Not on the market yet, it never goes more than 15-20 miles from home any more.
All local trips

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
On a guagua from puerto plata to luperon at christmastime a few years ago , of course the guagua was packed. I was first on and sat in the rear. A fat lady sat beside me and since it was so packed with people the fat lady sat on my leg. I couldnt move. In luperon i was last off but couldnt move because my leg was really, really asleep. The driver and other peopple helped me out and i leaned up against a building. After feeling returned to my leg i started to walk away but noticed the concerned look of nearby people. They thought i was havinging a heart attack. After i explained that my leg fell asleep because the fat lady sat on it, i could still hear everyone laughing from a block away. Dominicans love a good laugh.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am sure there are a million good guagua stories...how could there not be ???

I can see your story in my mind....
Never, never had I had the good fortune to get a pretty little thing as a seatmate...
Always old or gorda or both....

hahahaha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8... even a raod trip can help.... weekend in Sto Dom, Samana, whatever
but changing the scenery makes a BIG difference to attitude, I find.

this is very true. we are planning a road trip some time soon and my MIL is trying to get me accompany her on a trip to europe this autumn so that would be a breath of fresh (and cold) air :)

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I rather have a root canal then ride on those things. I especially love it when 6 to 8 men just finished working in the cane fields pile in. Smells worse than a barnyard.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was another necessary evil for me.

I wanted to take my main man to drive the other car.... he drives,  but has no license 
He was too afraid of the police presence yesterday.... getting caught.

I was strongly advised to get back by noon..... before the fan and feces were to meet.

However, the odd Dominican experience can be grounding.... odd experience, no steady diet 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Given the fact that my truck is STILL in the shop I used Caribe Tours to go visit a client in Puerto Plata this week. I had a terrifying moto ride from Caribe to the client's office (across from Brugal). I am not new to moto drivers in POP but this was ridiculous. After finishing with the client I took one of the vans over to Sosua to visit friends. It was the most uneventful van ride I ever had. Past rides included a guy next to me with 2 live roosters on his lap, another guy with one of those washer/driers they rent and one of those on the step up hanging outside (I actually felt safer, my logic being as I was watching out for any potential collision I would be able to jump and roll figuring my chances would be much better than being inside.

WW and AE, I went to the states last Sun - Thurs and for me, I couldn't wait to get back. After almost 11 years this is home. Maybe that says something about the level of my sanity, or lack thereof.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hear you Gerhard

I miss it too but my car episode (2) has gone on too long.
Finally finished, espero 

Normally, I have few to zero problems that aren't resolved easily and quickly 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I once had the misfortune to be sitting between two young girls 17 to 20 years old on a guagua and one was partially on top of the other having to lean forward with her left boob two inches from my face. She kept apologizing, and I kept repeating "Esta bien, esta bien."
Der Fish

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I had occasion to ride a guagua today..... busy times on the roads

El Breton to Nagua (buscandoing my car at the mechanic).

Uneventful start...I got a nice seat in the back of a nearly empty one.

As time passed, it filled up.
Upon entering Nagua we had 18 people, driver and friend counted.

Remember that last row?... now a bit squished but all women... one skinny too!!

I felt out the window to see if I could find a roof rack.... yup!

Yell to el chofer..... a la bomba.

Ask my fellow passenger Ayudame...
And slip out the window via the handle provided by the roof rack.

The faces on all those passengers..... the Driver's was the best..

Paid my fare
Adding 'loco Gringo...... o inteligente?'

He laughed.....and drove off

It takes a lot to shake these people 
I had a laugh doing it....

Hahahaha..... que vida!!!

....I love a good concho ride on a hot day.....a full back seat is my favorite....one fine summer day in santiago, the driver puts a extra person in the back seat.......pretty chica smiles and asks... can I sit on your lap?, what could I say , [please yes]....anyway, as we get out she says she enjoyed my lap very much, I tell her I enjoyed more.....she now lives in my 4th bedroom......true story...who would have thunk......Doc..........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
....I love a good concho ride on a hot day.....a full back seat is my favorite....one fine summer day in santiago, the driver puts a extra person in the back seat.......pretty chica smiles and asks... can I sit on your lap?, what could I say , [please yes]....anyway, as we get out she says she enjoyed my lap very much, I tell her I enjoyed more.....she now lives in my 4th bedroom......true story...who would have thunk......Doc..........

Curious minds want to know who lives in the other three bedrooms. :bunny:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fishy and Doc

I said earlier, I have never been lucky in regards to seatmates, sadly.

Both of you should ride the guagua more often!!

I can't say that I'll keep trying....
But hope springs eternal....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Curious minds want to know who lives in the other three bedrooms. :bunny:

....I have to admit, I am seriously considering becoming a Mormon....the other 3 are occupied by other girl frens....You know that Brigham Young had like 127 wives, and lived to be about 100 years old..and founded salt lake city........Sooo I was thinking maybe there is something to being Mormon... cant hurt to find out........Doc.......Will report more later.....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I hear you Gerhard

I miss it too but my car episode (2) has gone on too long.
Finally finished, espero 

Normally, I have few to zero problems that aren't resolved easily and quickly 

Wilhelm,
My grandparents came from Poland not Germany. I'm not sure of a Polish translation for Gary but maybe DV8 can help.
I can do a week or so without missing it here if visiting family, less if on business. I do however enjoy getting the foods I get in the states that I don't get, or eat here, like Sushi I trust or Thai food plus if visiting mom the red beet soup and pierogis.
Have a safe trip and don't stay away too long.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wilhelm,
My grandparents came from Poland not Germany. I'm not sure of a Polish translation for Gary but maybe DV8 can help.
I can do a week or so without missing it here if visiting family, less if on business. I do however enjoy getting the foods I get in the states that I don't get, or eat here, like Sushi I trust or Thai food plus if visiting mom the red beet soup and pierogis.
Have a safe trip and don't stay away too long.

I last about two weeks before I start to get antsy to get back to Jarabacoa. My first stop in Canada is at the beer store to get some good beer and second is to get some good Indian food.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We are too. Can't take much more. Maybe we'll see each other again at the airport. :)
Well but you're a moderator. I think you need government permission. Yes the DR or North Coast has become less laid back but it has also become darn expensive. Maybe it's just as expensive in the states now too but at least the power almost never goes out and you don't go to jail for a simple traffic accident.
Put me on the maybe-ready-to-leave list.
Might be a fire sale on Villas soon?
I would miss the over the counter farmacias however m

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Well but you're a moderator. I think you need government permission. Yes the DR or North Coast has become less laid back but it has also become darn expensive. Maybe it's just as expensive in the states now too but at least the power almost never goes out and you don't go to jail for a simple traffic accident.
Put me on the maybe-ready-to-leave list.
Might be a fire sale on Villas soon?
I would miss the over the counter farmacias however m

Probably miss that 10,000 pesos per month rent too, right?
Der Fish

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Probably miss that 10,000 pesos per month rent too, right?
Der Fish
I would miss that, and I'd miss the habichuelas con dulces for Easter too.
And this paddle ball, and this book of matches.... and this chair.