guandule

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
.....There's interesting linguistic history studied and documented by John Lipski, linguist, professor for those who are interested in these word endings in Spanish.
-LDG. QUOTE]

Lesley, you have it all wrong. What linguistic books are your reading? It is an historical fact that 'guandules' got it's name from a farmer (probably Northamerican) who moved to the island at the turn of the 19th century, and farmed the legume extensively. His name was John Dulles, affectionately called by the locals Juan Dules (Guandules).

By the way, guandules is know in Venezuela as quinchoncho. Sounds Chipcha, or maybe Tupi-Guaran? to me.

JR

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chiri et al.-

Arroz con gandules/ guandules is a great option for me, it adds to the variety instead of just having plain white rice.

I have never heard Jamaicans refer to pigeon peas as gungo peas and I have Jamaican friends so that's interesting. As for Panamanians, I am always amazed at the differences but usually a close similarity to the Caribbean Spanish word i.e. DR or Puerto Rico.

rolfdog,

?Buen provecho!

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Pigeon pea variations-

Chiri, you might find a few pages of the this book interesting to read with regards to the words in question- gungo peas, guandul, guand? and other words in the Spanish Caribbean mosaic. Once again, I have never heard Jamaicans actually use the word gungo peas. They simply say 'rice and peas' and you bet most times it's pigeon peas as opposed to black eye peas or split peas in the rice.

See pages 99- 100. In my opinion, it's always recommended to read more than one source and draw your own conclusions from your findings.

Central Africa in the Caribbean ... - Google Book Search

What about frijol de palo? It was mentioned in the article as well, which is also another word for gandul commonly used in Peru and other Latin countries. That was the first time I have seen the word.

-LDG.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the reference, Lesley.
Like you, I had only heard them called pigeon peas and the dish 'rice and peas' by Jamaican friends and colleagues in the UK and in Jamaica, until last summer I saw a can of pigeon peas labelled 'gungo beans' in a British supermarket. IIRC it was canned in Jamaica, and if you search on 'gungo beans' or 'gungo peas' it appears in reference to Jamaica as an alternative name for pigeon peas.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Peas and beans...

Norma,

That's a good link with a diversity of peas cooked in many kitchens of the English and Spanish Caribbean. My personal preference is: pigeon peas, black eye peas and when I'm desperate I use split peas but I prefer it in soup rather than rice but at the end of the day I will eat it. I checked to see what I have in stock to get a translation from the labels. Products in Canada have English and French labels, English and Spanish, or all three. It depends on the distributor and if it's a NAFTA product or not as discussed in my thread on the topic. I wanted to get the translation for black eye peas on the can out of curiosity but the one I have has English and French.

In terms of beans, I like different types of frijoles and habichuelas but I must say a Cuban friend of mine was the one who really helped me acquire a liking for one of their national dishes, arroz con frijoles negros. Absolutely delicious!

-LDG.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I must say a Cuban friend of mine was the one who really helped me acquire a liking for one of their national dishes, arroz con frijoles negros. Absolutely delicious!

-LDG.

The Cuban thing: Arroz con frijoles negros and eggs on top.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Reminds me of my amazement when a Cuban friend described my favourite comfort food - fried egg and rice - as 'comida de pobres', second only to hard boiled egg and mashed potatoes.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Some translations-

The Cuban thing: Arroz con frijoles negros and eggs on top.

I don't know about the eggs Norma, somehow for me that may take away from the great taste of the meal at least the way my friend prepares it. She has never offered it to me with eggs.

Reminds me of my amazement when a Cuban friend described my favourite comfort food - fried egg and rice - as 'comida de pobres', second only to hard boiled egg and mashed potatoes.

Oh yes, Chiri. Eggs and rice is classic comida de pobres. Arroz con sardinas too but when times are tough you eat what you have.

I found an excuse to go grocery shopping which was to look up the labels on the packages and cans for some of the beans and peas mentioned. Mr. Goudas is one of the popular international food products available in the grocery stores, West Indian and Latin food shops. Here is a brief list I jotted down:

Chick peas- Garbanzos
Yellow split peas- Chicharo amarillo
Blackeye Peas- Frijoles de carita
Green Lentils- Lentejas verdes
Red Kidney Beans- Habichuelas coloradas
Navy Bean- Frijol blanco
Congo Pigeon Peas- *Habichuelas gandules
* that is an interesting translation...I have never heard that
(Green) Pigeon peas- Gandules (verdes)

See here for a full list of products- Products

-LDG.

Last edited:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Norma's favorite breakfast: White rice with eggs.

A Mexican thing: Frijoles (habichuelas) with eggs on top -for breakfast! And tortillas, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.