Haiti has no chance of improvement

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just a bit out of sequence Windy...

They could work in RD on seasonal visas...

My US golf club uses Mexicans - yes.

Canada has roving crews of Mexicans (field work ) as well as other nationalities.

My suggestion was for RD....
I wasn't being obtuse

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed 100%. So with that philosophy in mind, should rebuilding Haiti not be an easier task? I believe many look at the Haiti situation as the whole country needing to be rebuilt....now. This is impossible. Start off small, and then expand outwards. One community. Followed by another. Followed by another. Dare say a city then rises, and opportunities present themselves? It is obvious nothing has succeeded so far, so a different concept needs to be developed. There are often crude jokes passed in regards to Dominican officials meeting with their counterparts of foreign nations, in an attempt to foster relations revolving around the business and tourism sectors. Can the Haitian government state the same? And if not for tourism purposes, how about other business prospects that may exist in the world?

It is an impossible task because no one is really interested in rebuilding Haiti, not the people in Haiti, not the people that left Haiti and certainly not the NGOs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just a bit out of sequence Windy...

They could work in RD on seasonal visas...

My US golf club uses Mexicans - yes.

Canada has roving crews of Mexicans (field work ) as well as other nationalities.

My suggestion was for RD....
I wasn't being obtuse

Sorry, I just misunderstood. However:

There already are such work permits for Haitians in the DR. DR law stipulates that 80% of the workers in a company must be Dominicans,if I recall correctly, so such legal work visas are limited in number and nowhere near enough to support a country with as many people as the DR. Those work visas are not going to solve Haiti's problems.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sorry, I just misunderstood. However:

There already are such work permits for Haitians in the DR. DR law stipulates that 80% of the workers in a company must be Dominicans,if I recall correctly, so such legal work visas are limited in number and nowhere near enough to support a country with as many people as the DR. Those work visas are not going to solve Haiti's problems.
My wife's father legally used Haitians for the coffee harvest in Cerro Prieto for decades, largely the same extended family.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like a quota adjustment would rectify the imbalance.

the 80/20 rule is an impediment.....

The decision needs to be which problem is worse ?

The illegal flow of Haitians - or protecting the RD work force...

Normally, one would think a balance could be found

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like a quota adjustment would rectify the imbalance.

the 80/20 rule is an impediment.....

The decision needs to be which problem is worse ?

The illegal flow of Haitians - or protecting the RD work force...

Normally, one would think a balance could be found

The 80/20 rule was implemented to provide work for Dominicans. That rule is not about to be changed.

Mar 1, 2009
There needs to be a serious family planning program put in place to reduce the population. Latin American countries want no more Haitian refugees and the USA shut it's door.
The problem sadly are the Haitians themselves, until they come together and say; WE need to change this ****e ourselves", it's not gonna happen.
They need a mix of Stalin, Putin, Mandela and Mobutu to get the place in order. A Merkel or a Chavez will just make a further mess and keep the UN FAR, FAAAAAAR away, they also seriously muck things up.
The D.R. should've occupied 50 miles of Haitian territory after the big quake and set up a city there provide healthcare and education, let all the ones who need help and assistance get it, but INSIDE Haiti.
LC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 80/20 rule was implemented to provide work for Dominicans. That rule is not about to be changed.

I know that...
we have similar rules in Canada for businesses

No more than 50% (or 49%) foreign ownership

Therefore...
The Investment Houses, the Mortgage companies, even the real estate companies are owned the banks

No Goldman Sachs et al.....

Cradle to grave type of oligarchy.......
and seems to work well

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I just finished reading the book "Travesty in Haiti", mentioned earlier in this thread. A really interesting and eye-opening insight into Haiti and what is wrong there, assuming the author has no hidden agenda. I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the country. I downloaded it from Amazon for my Kindle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The ‘Travesty’ part applies worldwide.... not just Haiti

Be careful with well intended donations....
Often misspent....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The ‘Travesty’ part applies worldwide.... not just Haiti
Look at the mess in Africa.

These NGO's are more concerned about their survival and paychecks than they are about actually fixing problems. They are bureaucrats, and the Prime Directive is protection of the bureaucracy first.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There needs to be a serious family planning program put in place to reduce the population. Latin American countries want no more Haitian refugees and the USA shut it's door.
The problem sadly are the Haitians themselves, until they come together and say; WE need to change this ****e ourselves", it's not gonna happen.
They need a mix of Stalin, Putin, Mandela and Mobutu to get the place in order. A Merkel or a Chavez will just make a further mess and keep the UN FAR, FAAAAAAR away, they also seriously muck things up.
The D.R. should've occupied 50 miles of Haitian territory after the big quake and set up a city there provide healthcare and education, let all the ones who need help and assistance get it, but INSIDE Haiti.
LC
You mean a Haitian version of Hipolito Mejia going around telling people that they should only have one or two kids, no more.

He touches the birth control after 5:35.

Most of the video he's attempting to explain to the people that its not that agricultural production has declined, but rather than the rest of the economy has grown so proportionally agriculture produces less today compared to the rest.

[video=youtube;UHq0SzCipOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq0SzCipOw[/video]

That begs the question, is there a Haitian version of Hipolito Mejia spreading that message on the other side of the border?

BTW, I really liked the last analogy he used. He said "in China they control the growth of the population, while here there are priests that say that God wants you to have 10 kids. No no, God doesn't want that. Its that you can't have 10 kids."

Then everyone laughs, which in Spanish sounds funnier than in English, for some odd reason.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I couldn't watch the videos, but the comments on youtube are a wash, rinse and repeat of the same old song. no holds barred.

Some of the videos are about people complaining on planes arriving to Chile loaded of Haitians "tourists", then staying and "demanding" stuff, defecating in public places ,employers hiring them because they can exploit them and pay them less than a Chilean, how they have replaced public vendors, are flooding public services, etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some of the videos are about people complaining on planes arriving to Chile loaded of Haitians "tourists", then staying and "demanding" stuff, defecating in public places ,employers hiring them because they can exploit them and pay them less than a Chilean, how they have replaced public vendors, are flooding public services, etc.

i remember meeting a few guys from Haiti in POP, who used to do yard work for a friend of mine in Torre Alta. next thing i heard, they were in Brazil. i guess they had some scratch saved up, because i am sure that must be a costly ticket.