Haitian Occupation of Dominican Republic

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Your confusion may stem from the fact that the slave ship manifests wrote the short version, St. Domingue, as destination, instead of the entire name of the island, 'Isle de St. Domingue. At the time there were no land routes (roads) between Santo Domingo de Guzm?n, the capital of the Eastern side, and Port au Prince, which was the actual port of disembarkation for the African slaves.

Okay that clarifies it for me, thanks...but if the Eastern side couldn't afford slaves how come the Western side could? Did Napolean approve of slavery on the Western side of the island? Did any Tainos on the island own slaves?

...Lots of slaves escaped from the french controlled part into the spanish controlled part. WHY? because the spanish guranteed french-owned slaves freedom in their part of the island when they crossed over, in order to try to criple the french economy and to basically **** off the french. There were also many maroon settlements of Africans and Zambos all over d.r, specially in the mountainous areas of the Cibao an the South, and they were never counted in the census.

Wow, the French just keep ****ing people off lol...I guess that explains why there isn't so much documented violence against blacks and slaves during the colonial period (one the Eastern side of the island)...I would also like to learn about the mixing of the time between Europeans and their slaves, like when it started to happened and why it kept happening (Supposedly it was due to a shortage or absence of European women, but I'm not sure if this is true about Taino women because varying accounts differ claiming that many Europeans, not all but alot, intermarried with Taino women and so the African slaves...Oh yeah, I would also like to hear more about Taino mixing with Europeans and Africans, and how the Zambo, Mestizo, and mulatto populations started off during this time)

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
Okay that clarifies it for me, thanks...but if the Eastern side couldn't afford slaves how come the Western side could? Did Napolean approve of slavery on the Western side of the island? Did any Tainos on the island own slaves?

The eastern side could afford slaves, as a matter of fact before the island was split in two colonies the spanish had already brought many slaves. At the very first they were Ladinos (Christianized Africans), and the very first slaves were from the ivory coast, places like guinea, mali, senegal all muslim countries. This is why in 1516 it is recorded that muslim slaves rebelled in Diego Colon (Christopher Colombus son's) plantation, and some ran away and killed off a few slavemasters. As a side note too, very few, but some of the slaves were also berbers, arabs and jews. This was very very few, the vast majority like 99% of the slaves came from guinea and down. Also the spanish were mad at the marooning that was happening all over the island after 1516, as a matter of fact not long after in 1519 the Taino Enriquillo also rebelled. So the slavemasters sent a letter to spain stating the the "Africans were teaching the indians bad customs". So this right there signals interaction and possibly intermarriage already. There was a big series of maroons after Enriquillo too, he ended in 1539, and to continue was Sebastian Lemba, a man from the Kongo empire who had been enslaved in D.R.

As a sidenote too, the dominican republic stopped importing Ladino slaves very early in the mid 1500s because they were the ones who kept inciting "bozales" (Africans born in africa non-christianized) to rebel. They also stopped importing muslim slaves from the muslim black african countries, because they were known to rebel too, but obviously this didnt fix anythign for them because even the kongo slaves were rebelling.

I think if u look at the french vs spanish empire, the spanish empire invested more in finding new lands then the french did. The french landed in the western side and put all their investments into that land. By the time the french had landed the spanish had found lots of gold in south america, so a good chunk of the europeans on the eastern side left to south america to find gold. In effect this made the investment in the eastern side less and less, although the slaves didnt stop coming in, but they just didnt come in the large scale that a big colony would. Regardless more slavemasters settled in the island and imported more and more slaves, slowly but surely. Also the slaves on the eastern side had a MUCH higher life expectancy then the ones on the western side, so as time grew the number of africans grew closer and closer to those haiti but never to the same number.

Tainos probably didnt have slaves themselves, although im not sure of this. As i mentioned alot befriended and married Africans who ran away. Europeans also took Taino wives wtih them too. If you look at the demographics of the island, most slaves and most spanish were MEN. This is why mostly African men took Taino wives and European men took mostly Taino wives. In alot of countries similar to d.r, such as cuba, puertorico and brazil, the genetic test have showed that Taino input is largely on the female side (Mtdna) while its very low and in some places almost non-existent on the male side.

A good way to understand why the spanish mixed so much with their slaves and with the aboriginal population has to do with their religion. Catholism, catholics were a bit more "macho" you can say in terms of slavery and coming into the new world. so almost all the spanish that were here were men. Unlike protestants like the british who came in family units, that included a wife. The whites kept decreasing on the island though, mainly because they were always the minority in the island, Tainos and taino mixed were somewhere in the middle, an the largest component was the Africans.

They even tried to import more europeans into the eastern side, to whiten its demographics but this never really worked. Some did settle, but people like Canary islanders were highly unaproving of interracial marriages and alot of canary islanders fled d.r as soon as they landed in "disgust" with the black, mulatta, zamba and mestiza women. They ended up settling instead in puertorico, cuba and venezuela. Also mestizos in the island were counted in the census as white for some time. A person who was 1/8th black (octoroon) was counted as white also i believe.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

There were other aboriginals in the island, besides the Taino, among them the ethnically different Ciguayos living in the Northeastern hills, and the Carribs, who hailed from Northern South America and had semi-permanent settlements on the island, particularly in practically inaccesible regions of the Central mountains close to the current border with Haiti. Upon the arrival of the Spaniards, it was the Caribs who established Cimaroon communities where runaway slaves were received, and quickly crossbread. Actually, the war cry for the liberation of Haiti's slaves from it's French masters was done during the celebration of a Wed? ritual, a Carib religious ceremony, that later merged with an African religious rite, Rada, to become what is presently known as Voodoo, or Voudon...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Spelling correction on my previous post...

Where it says Wedo, it should say Petwo.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
Mirador, i agree that Petwo(Petro) is the form of vodou with the most amerindian influence, but i dont think it branched off from a carib religion or ceremony. I could be wrong though, but seeing petwo vodou, and hearing the names it is VERY kongo, with also a strong amerinidian input. Even the word of the highest rankin petwo member is called a Mambo, obviously congolese. I am not tryin to say the Taino input was very small either, there is two Taino deities that i know of in petwo. Here are some pictures of them,

Ayida Wedo http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/vodou/roots/taino1_261w350h.jpg
Zemi Wanga http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/vodou/roots/taino2_350w284h.jpg

Its amazing though how kongolese petwo is, you can tell by the cosmograms that they draw, the "four moments of the sun" etc. Also Simbi is a water spirit in petwo and its still the same in Kongo, Simbi means water in kikongo.

i'm sure there are other amerindian aspects to petwo too.
Also rada and petro are very different, an still remain so in both parts of the island, petro is known for having many violent spirits, while rada which is more Dahomey-Benin influenced has lighter sweeter spirits.

There is also Vodou Nago which is Yoruba(nigerian) influened, and Vodou Do mandinga which is mandingo influenced and has muslim aspects.

C

Chip00

If you look at the demographics of the island, most slaves and most spanish were MEN. This is why mostly African men took Taino wives and European men took mostly Taino wives. In alot of countries similar to d.r, such as cuba, puertorico and brazil, the genetic test have showed that Taino input is largely on the female side (Mtdna) while its very low and in some places almost non-existent on the male side.

Please site your references if you don't mind. There has been the same issue in other threads where the stuff you claim is based on you're opinion and not historical record.

Remember, the OP is trying to learn the facts, not the opinion of someone with an apparent agenda.

aquacateyplatano... Take whatever this guy conejo says with a grain of salt becasue as I stated it is based more on his personal opinion other that facts. See his posts in the "Tainos in the DR" thread for futher evidence.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
SuperConejo, it is very significant that you resort to artists in order to clarify your opinion about Voodoo. Everything that you and I can say about voodoo, it?s origins, influences, the nature of its practices, the use of its symbols and ceremonies, etc., belongs to the realm of speculation. I suggested the Carib influence vis a vis Taino because the former were a more violent lot, while the later were docile and peaceful. Like the artists? paintings, Voodoo practitioners continously interpret and reinterpret their images, modify and create new rituals and ceremonial tools. Voodoo has no set dogma or official priesthood, such as the Catholic religion and even Santer?a. You yourself can become a bonafide Voodoo houngan (male ) or mamb? (female) priest. There is no such thing as a Voodoo religion in the academic sense of the term. You can read all the books you want about Voodoo, and you will never find a definable origin for it. Just like your artists, Voodoo practitioners will rather leaves academic interpretations of their work to art critics and merchants. You want to know about Voodoo?, then go ahead an mount (become possessed by) a Loa. You will not have a conscious recollection of the event, but a persistent feeling of what Voodoo is about will permeate your soul. Then you can sit down and write about your experience, what it felt to be possessed by a Loa, and speculate to your hearts content, and interpret Voodoo from your own cultural perspective.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
Chip00, here is one of the sources, i am very happy to put out any sources, i dont just say things to say it. And i understand that from a "factual" point of view its good to put out as much evidence as possible.

This article is of Mtdna testing in puertorico, and this is the part i was referring to.

In Belen, Brazil, for example, mtDNA analysis identifies 59% of the contemporary population as Amerindian, while Y-chromosome analysis identifies less than 5% as Amerindian. This indicates that 59% of the population of Belen has an Amerindian mother somewhere down the ancestral line, while less than 5% of them have a male Amerindian ancestor.
An Interview On the Taino DNA testing in Puerto Rico

I was just comparing and contrasting countries with similar demographics to d.r. I never said that any of this concludes d.r's true dna, for this to be done we need dna test on the Y-dna of dominicans and so far none have been done, only on the mtdna.

In a very small test done with a few diabetes patients in d.r they tested their Mtdna and this was the result.
In the OD group, the majority (64.0%) of the mtDNA lineages were from African ancestry, whereas the Native American fraction was predominant (51.5%) in the healthy group, with both showing smallest amounts (14.0% and 9.1%, respectively) of European contribution.

IngentaConnect Genetic background of people in the Dominican Republic with or without obese type 2 diabetes revealed by mitochondrial DNA polymorphism

Also Baracutay has shown information of small testing from his sources and it puts the amerindian at 33%. of course in certain parts it will be higher or lower etc. I wish they did male y-dna test too, because knowing the mtdna is only half of the story. But i'm sure this is to come as more testing is underway.

Back to the topic though, you will find that most of the euroepans who came here were men and alot of the african slaves were also men, of course there were also african women as well as european women.

To Mirador, you put it very nicely. Vodou has no rigid definitions, and each devotee follows it a certain way. I just wanted to clear up rada vs petwo. Experinces are of course very valuable too. It gives another dimension to an argument, very well put.

tvanel

Apr 16, 2007
This is obviously a very sensitive subject for some here and I applaud all of you for having a civil and intelligent discussion.

Documenting the Myth of the Taino Extinction, by Lynne Guitar By Lynne Guitar

Coloring the Nation: Race and Ethnicity in the Dominican Republic By David Howard
History of the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1501, the Spanish monarchs, Ferdinand I and Isabella, first granted permission to the colonists of the Caribbean to import African slaves, which began arriving to the island in 1503. These African importees arrived with a rich and ancient culture that has had an influence second only to that of Europe on the racial, political and cultural character of the modern Dominican Republic. In 1510, the first sizable shipment, consisting of 250 Black Ladinos, arrived in Hispaniola from Spain. Eight years later African-born slaves arrived in the West Indies. Sugar cane was introduced to Hispaniola from the Canary Islands, and the first sugar mill in the New World was established in 1516.[2] The need for a labor force to meet the growing demands of sugar cane cultivation led to an exponential increase in the importation of slaves over the following two decades. The sugar mill owners soon formed a new colonial elite, and convinced the Spanish king to allow them to elect the members of the Real Audiencia from their ranks. Poorer colonists subsisted by hunting the herds of wild cattle that roamed throughout the island and selling their hides.

For those who disagree please feel free to correct Wikipedia and cite your references.

Race and Politics in the Dominican Republic (Paperback) by Ernesto Sag?s
Ernesto Sag?s examines the historical development and political use of antihaitianismo, a set of racist and xenophobic attitudes prevalent today in the Dominican Republic that broadly portray Dominican people as white Catholics, while Haitians are viewed as spirit-worshipping black Africans. More than just a ploy to generate patriotism and rally against a neighboring country, the ideology also is used by Dominican leaders to divide their own lower classes.
Sag?s looks at the notions of race held by Dominican elites in their creation of an imaginary "white" nation, particularly as the ideas were developed throughout the colonial era, then intellectually refined in the late 19th century, and later exalted to a state ideology during the Trujillo era. Finally, he examines how race and nationalist anti-Haitian feelings still are manipulated by conservative politicians and elites who seek to maintain the status quo, drawing on examples from recent political rhetoric and cartoons, campaign advertisements, and public school history textbooks.

The first book-length study of antihaitianismo, this work offers important lessons for studying racial and ethnic conflict as well as nationalism and comparative politics.

Last edited:

tvanel

Apr 16, 2007
Racist? How so....please explain yourself. I cited specific works from various authors including Lynne Guitar "Documenting the Myth of Ta?no Extinction"

Lets agree to disagree and close this subject, I dont think it is going anywhere. If your goal is to deny the obvious African influences in dominican culture so be it.

Thank god for the internet where facts can easily be verified. This is reminiscent of the dicussons I've held with some of my Brasilian friends regarding Bahia and Afro-Brazilian culture. LOL!! Brasil has something like 10-16 color shades...you should hear them explain it.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...Thank god for the internet where facts can easily be verified. ....

I bet you cannot easily verify through the internet the fact that my great-grandmother was affectionately called Mamb?.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
I dont think TVanel is racist at all, everything he cited there is easily verifiable by going to CUNY library or any library with books on the history of the dominican republic. After all this thread is about Haitians in the dominican republic, also i think his sources are wonderful, and alot of that is written in the book i cited, and i will cite one more time for anyone interested in the subject, it is a great book, it details things even more then the wiki article.

T?tulo: Los Negros los Mulatos y la. Naci?n Dominicana / Franco, Franklin J.
Editor: Santo Domingo,R. Dominicana : Editora Nacional, 1989
Descripci?n f?sica: 162 p.
Los Negros los Mulatos y la. Naci?n Dominicana / Franco, Franklin J. Franco, Franklin J. Cat?logo de la Biblioteca del Instituto Cervantes de NUEVA YORK

and theres another book whose author i need to find, i will post that later.
I think its great that this thread has not gone out of hand and become a hate-fest, this way we can keep enlightening each other.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good grief!

All of you are still debating this?

-NALs :surprised

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Ernesto Sagas's book is garbage

Racist? How so....please explain yourself. I cited specific works from various authors including Lynne Guitar "Documenting the Myth of Ta?no Extinction"

Lets agree to disagree and close this subject, I dont think it is going anywhere. If your goal is to deny the obvious African influences in dominican culture so be it.

Thank god for the internet where facts can easily be verified. This is reminiscent of the dicussons I've held with some of my Brasilian friends regarding Bahia and Afro-Brazilian culture. LOL!! Brasil has something like 10-16 color shades...you should hear them explain it.

You mentioned Ernesto Sagas, his book is a big exaggeration of racial identificaton attitudes of DR at the end of the 20th century.

He is probably Haitian decent. We'll need to do a background check. I've done mine, my family are Whites and Mulattoes, we don't deny any African roots,and we were kicking Soulouque's ass back in the 1850's.

I'm not saying that as an " anti-haitianismo witch-hunt" as he would propably label me or anyone that says so. But the book speaks for itself in trying to portray Dominicans as brainless caricatures. Very few " positive feedback".

He says that " Dominican history textbooks are filled with anti-haitian lies".
well, I have a history textbook with me," Ciencias Sociales:Septimo Grado", done in 1998, secretary of education, Milagros Ortiz Bosch. I didn't see anything anti-haitian in it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You mentioned Ernesto Sagas, his book is a big exaggeration of racial identificaton attitudes of DR at the end of the 20th century.

He is probably Haitian decent. We'll need to do a background check. I've done mine, my family are Whites and Mulattoes, we don't deny any African roots, and we were kicking Soulouque's ass back in the 1850's.
I've noticed that younger Dominicans who have lived in the DR their entire lives are aware of their African heritage. Of course, I'm talking of the one's who attend school and actually put attention to what's being taught, etc.

The "problem" (notice the quotation mark, its meant to state that its not a real problem, but more of a misunderstanding that needs to be understood) is that many non-Dominicans, particularly some Dominican obsessed Haitians and Afro-anything who have been heavily influenced by US definition of race, ethnicity, etc expect or want Dominicans to develop a pride in "blackness", whatever that is.

The truth is that Dominicans (nor Afro-Cubans, Afro-Colombians, Afro-Venezuelans, Afro-Brazilians, Afro-Peruvians, Afro-Haitians, Afro-Jamaicans, Afro-insert whatever nationality) don't base their pride and identity on race or ethnicity, Dominicans base their pride in their nationalism.

There is no pride in being black, there is simply a pride in being Dominican, a pride in being Cuban, a pride in being Jamaican, etc.

Everyone shares a Dominicanism regardless of skin tone, facial features, or even socio-economic standing similarly how in Cuba everyone shares a Cubaness that trasends all other differences that in a country like the US poses such a challenge.

I've met Jamaicans who have told me that the day they realized that they were "black" was when they arrived to the US for the first time. Shocking to hear that from Jamaicans, since according to some authors and "experts", Dominicans are the only one's who don't have a pride based on race and they attribute such to some sort of denial.

It never enters their minds that the reason why race is such a central focus within African-American identity and pride is because they have been systematically denied full participation and recognition as Americans in the past. Because of that, because their own country made it a case in point to make them feel less than human, treat them less than animals, and denigrate them to a level of "otherness" because of their race, their skin color, and their subservient historical legacy (ie. slavery). Afro-Americans had little else to hold onto other than race and skin color for their pride, identity, and to combat systematic racism and exclusion, racism and exclusions that was not as severely imposed in many Latin American countries and whenever it was imposed, it was more on the basis of socio-economic status more than anything else.

Dominicans of all social level are now aware of the African contribution and component of Dominican society, more so the younger educated population than the older and the less educated. But, this will not lead and there is no need to develop some sort of kinship and pride based on race/skin tone because we all share a certain Dominicaness that unites all Dominicans regardless of our personal ethnic/racial make up.

And "Dominicaness" embodies the full mixture and spirit of all the peoples and cultures that have populated that country since the day Columbus first set his foot and decalred such as territory of Spain. This is true in the music, the language, the food, literature, art, arquitecture, in everything at all levels of society.

If anything devides harshly Dominican society is class and money. The rest is negociable based on the position an individual finds himself in the socio-economic latter, nothing more and nothing less.

People who fail to understand that aspect of the Latin American experience are bound to judge anything Latin American on a tangent so far off that to call it unrealistic is an understatement.

-NALs

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
I've noticed that younger Dominicans who have lived in the DR their entire lives are aware of their African heritage. Of course, I'm talking of the one's who attend school and actually put attention to what's being taught, etc.

The "problem" (notice the quotation mark, its meant to state that its not a real problem, but more of a misunderstanding that needs to be understood) is that many non-Dominicans, particularly some Dominican obsessed Haitians and Afro-anything who have been heavily influenced by US definition of race, ethnicity, etc expect or want Dominicans to develop a pride in "blackness", whatever that is.

The truth is that Dominicans (nor Afro-Cubans, Afro-Colombians, Afro-Venezuelans, Afro-Brazilians, Afro-Peruvians, Afro-Haitians, Afro-Jamaicans, Afro-insert whatever nationality) don't base their pride and identity on race or ethnicity, Dominicans base their pride in their nationalism.

There is no pride in being black, there is simply a pride in being Dominican, a pride in being Cuban, a pride in being Jamaican, etc.

Everyone shares a Dominicanism regardless of skin tone, facial features, or even socio-economic standing similarly how in Cuba everyone shares a Cubaness that trasends all other differences that in a country like the US poses such a challenge.

I've met Jamaicans who have told me that the day they realized that they were "black" was when they arrived to the US for the first time. Shocking to hear that from Jamaicans, since according to some authors and "experts", Dominicans are the only one's who don't have a pride based on race and they attribute such to some sort of denial.

It never enters their minds that the reason why race is such a central focus within African-American identity and pride is because they have been systematically denied full participation and recognition as Americans in the past. Because of that, because their own country made it a case in point to make them feel less than human, treat them less than animals, and denigrate them to a level of "otherness" because of their race, their skin color, and their subservient historical legacy (ie. slavery). Afro-Americans had little else to hold onto other than race and skin color for their pride, identity, and to combat systematic racism and exclusion, racism and exclusions that was not as severely imposed in many Latin American countries and whenever it was imposed, it was more on the basis of socio-economic status more than anything else.

Dominicans of all social level are now aware of the African contribution and component of Dominican society, more so the younger educated population than the older and the less educated. But, this will not lead and there is no need to develop some sort of kinship and pride based on race/skin tone because we all share a certain Dominicaness that unites all Dominicans regardless of our personal ethnic/racial make up.

And "Dominicaness" embodies the full mixture and spirit of all the peoples and cultures that have populated that country since the day Columbus first set his foot and decalred such as territory of Spain. This is true in the music, the language, the food, literature, art, arquitecture, in everything at all levels of society.

If anything devides harshly Dominican society is class and money. The rest is negociable based on the position an individual finds himself in the socio-economic latter, nothing more and nothing less.

People who fail to understand that aspect of the Latin American experience are bound to judge anything Latin American on a tangent so far off that to call it unrealistic is an understatement.

-NALs

Have you read the book yet? Race and politics in DR?

This is the single,most useful " weapon" that anti-dominican haitians use to ridiculize Dominicans. It is quoted in every single webpage about Dominicans, also in Wikipedia by that idiot that hijacked that website. He is even saying That Maximo Gomez was " born in Haiti", because DR was controlled by Haiti back in 1836.:cheeky: haha, oh lord.

This Sagas character has an agenda, by saying he is "Dominican".It makes him seem "legitimate". He attacks DR with giving his own opinion about who a sovereign , independent state like DR gives Jus Soli or not. You don't read " zip" about how the vast majority of countries in the world don't give any Jus Soli at all, including all of Africa entirely. We can start another thread about Sagas's book, because this one has deviated from the OP.

tvanel

Apr 16, 2007
I've been reading the Taino thread and other previous posts by members, very interesting reading. Thanks all for a very lively discussion, as for me, I am done with this subject.

abram

Jul 24, 2006

-NALs

The problem is where ones idea of "dominicaness" values the white and indian heritage more so than the "african heritage"
Phrases like "pelo malo" and "mejorando la raza" and the almost complete absence of any person of African ancestry on spanish television seems to indicate that the community still has a ways to go when it comes to accepting and celebrating (not just acknowledging) its diversity.
Obviously an American definition of race would be ridiculous in the Dominican Republic but that does not mean that the way we look at our African heritage (which for some us includes African physical features) does not stand any room for improvement.