Haitians. attention Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Follow this above after you are logged in, you should able to see the pic embedded w/o any links. Credit goes to bigbird, he/she posted it in another subject.

HA!!! Thanks. Yup, "show images" was unchecked in the settings.

Now, back to the Haitians... I'm leaving the Island in a short 7 months, never to return. If I were to go to Haiti, where should I go?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
More visceral then that. Listening to my Dominicano gardener talk about Haitians, was the first time I had actually seen first hand, real racism. Not, "ha ha, Mexicans are lazy", but he actually thought of them as lesser beings, or animals. He said they all have AIDS, and are disgusting and stupid, lazy and are going to ruin the DR if the come. It was rather eye opening.

One uneducated Dominican means all Dominicans think like that? I see Dominicans and Haitians getting along fine everyday. We have Haitian children in the school and they have plenty of Dominican friends. Jemima ( little Haitian girl) is one of the most popular kids in school.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
One uneducated Dominican means all Dominicans think like that?

Well, of course not. How did you get there? I've seen both sides, some (most maybe) Dominicans don't really care, but I've seen a few that really, really despise Haitians. I've heard second hand reports of witch hunting, and know someone who was attached by a machete.

My response was to the "Texas vs. New England" Comment. And, it's a little more visceral then that.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Deporting kids who've lived in the DR their entire lives, speak Spanish, and no nothing of Haiti is pretty crappy.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
More visceral then that. Listening to my Dominicano gardener talk about Haitians, was the first time I had actually seen first hand, real racism. Not, "ha ha, Mexicans are lazy", but he actually thought of them as lesser beings, or animals. He said they all have AIDS, and are disgusting and stupid, lazy and are going to ruin the DR if the come. It was rather eye opening.

Very interesting. Had the same eye opening experience when I stayed with my Canadian friends in Luperon. When they needed work done, they hiired Haitians and Dominicans to do the work. I overheard the Dominicans make negative comments about working with Haitians. It was my first exposure to Haitians. I observed them and developed a respect for their work ethic and their masonary skills.

A friend told me the DR Canadian Embassy employs Haitians and they get their own back by making it difficult for Dominicans who are applying for Canadian visas. Don't know if that's true or not but it seems a shame to me that these tensions exist between Dominicans and Haitians in today's world. They share a common border and to some degree, a common heritage.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, of course not. How did you get there? I've seen both sides, some (most maybe) Dominicans don't really care, but I've seen a few that really, really despise Haitians. I've heard second hand reports of witch hunting, and know someone who was attached by a machete.

My response was to the "Texas vs. New England" Comment. And, it's a little more visceral then that.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Deporting kids who've lived in the DR their entire lives, speak Spanish, and no nothing of Haiti is pretty crappy.

Almost as crappy as your own country ( Haiti) not giving you identify papers and expecting the neighbours to look after you. If you are aware of the history between the two countries you are aware that Haitians have invaded and tried to invade the DR at least 6 times. There is naturally fear that they might try it again.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very interesting. Had the same eye opening experience when I stayed with my Canadian friends in Luperon. When they needed work done, they hiired Haitians and Dominicans to do the work. I overheard the Dominicans make negative comments about working with Haitians. It was my first exposure to Haitians. I observed them and developed a respect for their work ethic and their masonary skills.

A friend told me the DR Canadian Embassy employs Haitians and they get their own back by making it difficult for Dominicans who are applying for Canadian visas. Don't know if that's true or not but it seems a shame to me that these tensions exist between Dominicans and Haitians in today's world. They share a common border and to some degree, a common heritage.

If only it was that simple. I've observed Dominican/Haitian mixed construction crews and there isn't much animosity. Perhaps you didn't get to hear or understand what the Haitians were saying about the Dominicans. The people working at the Canadian Embassy are not Haitians.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I would be interested to read more about the original topic. I have more or less assumed the relationship was similar to the way we mentally gifted folk in New England look at the mentally challenged folk from Texas.

(I'm also trying to get up to 500 posts :) )

Leave Texas out of it. We did nothing to Dominican - Haitian relations.

Although Texas is the greatest state in the United States and high in the running for greatest place cosmos wide.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
In the Cheap here goes a quick summary:

Historical

1: Haiti in multiple occasion invade and occupied DR.
2: During the occupation Haiti committed genocide in DR.
3: In 1929 Haiti took possession of a good piece of DR territory.

Present:

1. Due to desperate plight in Haiti many Haitians have illegally immigrated to DR costing the cost of Labor to be lowered, and their for Dominicans getting paid less.
2. The current smear campaign against DR been promulgated by Haiti and their sponsors, in favor of the illegal immigrants.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
not all Haitians are bad but they surely cannot run a country. I worked with a very good Haitian engineer in USA. He even says they can't run a country, would love to go back but won't

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Leave Texas out of it. We did nothing to Dominican - Haitian relations.

Although Texas is the greatest state in the United States and high in the running for greatest place cosmos wide.

Greetings Rustxko,

I don't know if Texas is the greatest place in the world but I can honestly say, from my perspective, it is one of the greatest states. My Canadian colleagues and I spent time at Texas A and M University in College Station doing course work in hazardous chemical spill response. We were treated very well, enjoyed working with the staff and touring the area. Always felt welcome and safe. Good people, good food, and good beer. Long live the lone star state!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
a common heritage of enmity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Another thread about love/ hate Haitians/ Dominicans... Did I miss something important in the last one?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I hear that every day from the lady I am presently living with. We arrove home the other day and as we walked thru the door she demanded that I wash my hands because i shook hands with Haitian and we all know that they all have AIDS!
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
by reading new material i found here and on the internet my understanding of this complicated relationship has increased. I do side reading. I think these threads, especially the historical ones offer great value to anyone interested in this Island. It informs the history of the US and puts a fine point on european imperialism.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
by reading new material i found here and on the internet my understanding of this complicated relationship has increased. I do side reading. I think these threads, especially the historical ones offer great value to anyone interested in this Island. It informs the history of the US and puts a fine point on european imperialism.

This is true. We had a related thread about a year ago that offered up so much source reference that by the time it was done it felt like a 3 credit hour history course. I love it when all perspectives on a subject come to light. There's wrong and right enough to go around but mostly more "it just was". That's the proper perspective for historical enlightenment.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
This is quite a question for a forum. A few points:

* historical - there is a lot of history here as Dominicans are an unruly, independent lot and once ranged over the whole island of Hispaniola. That is until the Spanish allowed the French to set up a colony as a means to deal with this unruly lot with their dreadful notions of freedom, independence, and self determination.

* again historical - Haitians had more than a few military incursions into Santo Domingo (the country) and ruled it once.

* Haitians are black and this is a culture that has a fine tuned color social hierarchy based on the shade of your skin.

* Haitians displace Dominicans by working for lower rates.

* Haitians don't integrate - by and large they stick to their own and don't learn Spanish.

* and, the AIDS/SEDA thing is real. They suffer from much higher infection rates. Fear is always a basis for discrimination.

My girlfriend also speaks Creole so I move in several circles including Haitians. They are by and large very a decent people undeserving of the woe heaped on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.