Hand carrying computer parts & media

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Has anyone recently had experience hand carrying computer parts (cards) & media, cd's, etc. lately?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hide it within your luggage and claim it's for personal use.
Take it out of the original packaging if it's new, try and make it look used.

I have brought in hard disks, CD's and mother boards etc this way without a problem.

Then again, it all depends on how much you are going to bring in?

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I brought in an 80gb hard drive in January in the original packaging and was not questioned. BUT, they were really interested in my Bose Wave CD Radio. They didn't know what to do with it. My wife finally told them to "get their hands of her Christmas present to me". That solved everything!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
CPU and sound system

I'm going to be working remotely while in the DR for a time.

I want to bring my CPU and small sound system with me. I'm going to be packing the CPU in it's original box.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. In the past I've never checked luggage - only had carry-on's - .

I assume checking baggage is where it gets sticky.

I'm not trying to resell the CPU, just need the components and software to be with me.

thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you will get whacked at the Customs with the CPU...

If you are into Computers, why not bring the Hard Drive and then find a cheap Clone here and change the Hard Drive?

Robert, is this even doable???

I think the whole CPU will raise eyebrows.

Just a thought.

HB, who knows Jack about Computers. You know Jack, the cousin of Fulla and brother to the stripper Lotsa??

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
computer parts

Actually, it's not customs that I wonder about but whether the parts are allowed anymore in carryon baggage.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Changing hard drive

Yes you could put your harddrive in a clone HOWEVER. Remeber drivers for parts in clone . Sound card motherboard resources etc will be diffrent from one computer to another. You need a windows disk or cab files. Also needed would be driver disks for Dominican clone. When returning to original computer you need to do the same in reverese.Much easier to bring an older laptop to use.
Also if you bring a laptop they suggest it should be able to power up some airport security checks in route. The have also been testing cell phones etc. they may require parts to be checked. Some airports laxer than others.
Ls

Last edited:

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I shipped 2 desktop computers with my personal belongings and had no problems with customs, no duty. BUT, my company has shipped 5 desktops and one laptop to me via FedEX and we have been nailed every time. In November it cost me RD$10,600 to get a new laptop out of customs. One of my employees recently carried a brand new laptop from the US for another employee. He removed all packing materials, put everything in the carry case and walked through with no questions.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Andy

The media will not be the problem, but I would have some cash on hand for the hardware. If they find it, it totally depends on the mood they are in, how many people are behind you in line, and how much spanish you speak back to them when they start asking questions.

I've had friends in the "no problems at all", and the "bend over" categories.

marc

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jim Hinsch
In DR, CPU = the whole computer body (not just the chip). I was also confused in the beginning when i had heard this terminology in DR.
Now to answer the CPU question:
I have brought computer parts in DR without any problems. Customs opened up my bags and didn't even ask what was a CDRW and hard drive along with mother board etc were doing in my suitcase.
My friend had brought 2 complete PC systems and paid only a few hundred pesos on each set. Some people didn't even pay a penny.
Don't worry and bring it right in.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Satellite receivers

Had a friend buy 6 satellite receivers c/w cards and try to bring them in to sell. Customs took them and told him to return the next day. When he returned they had figured out that he had snuck by with all the cards, and now all they held were the useless receivers.

They told him that for one card he could have 5 rcvrs back. He told them to get bent, sold the cards alone.

Different than what you are doing, but thought I would share anyways ;)

viva DR customs!
marc

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
CPU Explainage

I want to bring my whole tower (18" x 15" x 7") - and possibly the keyboard. I want to use it's original box to transport - for damage protection. I'll buy a monitor upon arrival (any recommendations for that - in SD?)

I don't want to go through the "driver hell" of reloading all the little nuances and hoping everything works out.

I want to plug it in and play. I have software and all my work on the HD that I want to bring along. All backed up in case of an emergency.

Hopefully it will be a happy day at the airport.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No problemo

Just to finish this post: I had no problem whatsoever. I didn't get stopped at customs at all.

I was able to fit my whole cpu into a bag (encompassed by it's original foam padding) and sorround it with clothes, a towel, etc.

I was only stopped to insure it was my bags and that was it.

Now, getting a bank account setup, that was a 2 day, 5 hour process. Oh my.

I wish someone reminded me to bring a couple extra lifetimes worth of patience.

Holy moly.

thanks for the help everyone. I'm loving it here.