having child abroad

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
What is the process if you have a kid with a dominican in the dr.How do You make that kid a US citizen.I would like to have the kid have us citizenship just in case i have to take him to the states.Does the father who is the us citizen need any paperwork when the kid is born.Will i have to sign the Birth certificate in dr.Will the us emabssy issue a passport or us citizenship without a DNA test..please lety me know what the father a US citizen should bring to the hospital when the kid is born.....thanks

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Actually that's not true, Dolores. I believe that you can get this at any time up to the child turning 18.

You must first get a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" issued by the US Consulate in Santo Domingo in order to gain US Citizenship for your child. Here is the process, and the checklist of documents:

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

This process is a grinding one, especially if you are not married. If you are not married to the mother of your child, expect to be required to get a DNA test to prove your fatherhood. You must also use THEIR lab to do this test, so don't get it done before you go to the consulate, thinking you will save time or money. At some point you will need to physically bring the child in too, which is tough to do with a very young one.

After running around for a day or two getting documents, and then getting them legalized, then you go back for an interview (they set the date or tell you the days you can return). You have to also present all of YOUR US documents to prove that YOU are a US Citizen. Also, bring photos of you and the mother at all stages, etc. (if you don't have any photos, start snapping them, bud - just something that may help.

AFTER the US Consulate issues the Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate, they will issue a SS card and a passport to your child as part of the process. Once you get that birth certificate, put it away somewhere safe, like a bank vault, because they will NEVER issue another replacement certificate - too much fraud here inthe DR apparently.

I have gone through this process, and believe me, I now understand why they put bulletproof glass in front of their "interrogators". I would have liked to strangle them, especially after their stupid little pencil-necked geek asked for "my passport so they could prove I had access to the female" (his friggin words exactly) The axxhole was talking about my wife, whom I had married long before she became pregnant.

I would also like to strangle anyone who says that US citizenship is "automatic" for a child born overseas to a US citizen. Sure it is, after you go through their obstacle course. I, for one, am going to do my best to try and convince my children to renounce it before they turn 18. In the meantime, it makes it a bit easier for our family to travel. After all, all a US passport is JUST a TRAVEL document. (for now , at least).

You can bring your US passport to the hospital so they will record it on the Dominican birth certificate. After that, you will need to go through the process. And in the future, if you plan on taking your chiild to the US, you will either need to take along Mama, or else go back through yet another process to have her agree legally, with yet another certificate issued, that yes, you can take your child to another country without her.

Last edited:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Actually that's not true, Dolores. I believe that you can get this at any time up to the child turning 18.

You must first get a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" issued by the US Consulate in Santo Domingo in order to gain US Citizenship for your child. Here is the process, and the checklist of documents:

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

This process is a grinding one, especially if you are not married. If you are not married to the mother of your child, expect to be required to get a DNA test to prove your fatherhood. You must also use THEIR lab to do this test, so don't get it done before you go to the consulate, thinking you will save time or money. At some point you will need to physically bring the child in too, which is tough to do with a very young one.

After running around for a day or two getting documents, and then getting them legalized, then you go back for an interview (they set the date or tell you the days you can return). You have to also present all of YOUR US documents to prove that YOU are a US Citizen. Also, bring photos of you and the mother at all stages, etc. (if you don't have any photos, start snapping them, bud - just something that may help.

AFTER the US Consulate issues the Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate, they will issue a SS card and a passport to your child as part of the process. Once you get that birth certificate, put it away somewhere safe, like a bank vault, because they will NEVER issue another replacement certificate - too much fraud here inthe DR apparently.

I have gone through this process, and believe me, I now understand why they put bulletproof glass in front of their "interrogators". I would have liked to strangle them, especially after their stupid little pencil-necked geek asked for "my passport so they could prove I had access to the female" (his friggin words exactly) The axxhole was talking about my wife, whom I had married long before she became pregnant.

I would also like to strangle anyone who says that US citizenship is "automatic" for a child born overseas to a US citizen. Sure it is, after you go through their obstacle course. I, for one, am going to do my best to try and convince my children to renounce it before they turn 18. In the meantime, it makes it a bit easier for our family to travel. After all, all a US passport is, is a TRAVEL document. (for now , at least).

You can bring your US passport to the hospital so they will record it on the Dominican birth certificate. After that, you will need to go through the process. And in the future, if you plan on taking your chiild to the US, you will either need to take along Mama, or else go back through yet another process to have her agree legally, with yet another certificate issued, that yes, you can take your child to another country without her.

This is right on the money. My brother-in-law just went through this. It is very time consuming. He was not married to the woman. He had to go for DNA, interviews with pictures that show he was actually in a relationship with her. It cost about four or five hundred alone for DNA test, plus what ever other fees.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I lost about 3 days chasing documents, and spent about US$250 doing it, but did not have to do a DNA test.

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
Yes, the baby will get a SS card, buthey prefer to send that to a U.S address. You don't need to report the birth within 30 days. Just get everything done as soon as possible. I think we did our son at 4 months. I'm the father and I'm the U.S citizen. file a consular report of birth abroad and just follow the instruction. The part of the application that ask about your travel needs to be fill out with your birthdate and travelin from then on. alot of people make mistake with that section. If you have enough evidence abouth ur relationship and can convince them that he is the child father, you will have a better chance of them not asking you to take a DNA test. The consulate did not ask me because of my traveling pattern. how ever, at the interview they told me I did not have enough pictures to prove a relationship, but because of me being in the country every 3 to 4 weeks, she had enough to approve my application.
Now, here is the key thing. they want to know if the citizen pays tax in the us. your income tax files or paper work does not mean anything to them. what they need from you is your social security paper that you recieve every year that states your benifits and how much you make for all the years you have been working. that piece of paper is very very important. I was only prepared for that because someone told my son's mom about it. she did not get a social for her baby and a passport because she did not have that piece of info at the time. I can answer any question you have. I still remember all the steps. I'm in brazil now so i don't have much time...but i will check and answer your question. Also, for the DR birth papers, you will need inextensia verson for the U.S consulate(don't know if i spell that right). I got all of mine done when i went to sign the birth papers. i think i paid something like 200Pesos for the regular birth paper and 300 or 400 for the inextensia.
I was not at my child's birth because he decided to visit us early. if the dad is at the birth, take alot of pictures and used those pictures at the interview. make a photo album.

Feb 7, 2007
And keep taking the pictures of the baby as he/she grows and keep the pictures. You will be asked for them when you go to renew the lil'ones's passport.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I had to RETURN to the consulate to apply for the SS card. Because apparently the Dominican birth certificate didn't count, and i had to wait for the passport to come through to get the number. BUT, they did send it to my house here in the Dominican and it came in about 2 months.

I didn't think the process was that hard, but I am a woman and the american so I think ti's a little easier than for an american dad.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I would also like to strangle anyone who says that US citizenship is "automatic" for a child born overseas to a US citizen. Sure it is, after you go through their obstacle course.

The child gets "automatic" US citizenship if both parents are U.S. citizens. I had my son while living in Japan and we got the his Birth certificate and Passport w/o any issues. It seems the obstacle course may be for those with just one parent that is a US citizen.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
The child gets "automatic" US citizenship if both parents are U.S. citizens. I had my son while living in Japan and we got the his Birth certificate and Passport w/o any issues. It seems the obstacle course may be for those with just one parent that is a US citizen.

I guess if your child doesn't acquired a foreign citizenship at birth, they have to do it more quickly, or they child will be stateless.

In the DR if the both parents are foreigns citizen and don't have permanent Residence, the parents need to go straight to the Embassy to register their child birth because the Dominican only recognize Jus Sanguini (When a foreign couple give birth in the DR, they recieved a different hospital record of birth, if i'm not Mistaken a Pink one, Dominican recieved a White one. With the Pink one you can't register the child as a Dominican Citizen.), but if is a Dominican parent and a U.S. Citizen parent, it takes more time because the child automatically acquired Dominican citizenship by "Jus Sanguin".

Just my opinion. If i'm wrong please correct me.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I htink the issue here may be that the process is happening in the DR, and the folks at the US Consulate here have seen it all. And in probably 98% of cases, only one parent is a U.S citizen. Most American couples hit the road back to the US if they are about to have a child.

Rob316

Aug 3, 2009
I do not have the physical presence requiered to declare my child as an american citizen since i have been living in DR since 1993
and have just gone to states for vacations and for very short periods that do not add up to 2 years after my 14th bday.
will this be a problem for me when i go declare my daughter of 9 months?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If your spouse is not American, then your child may qualify through a grandparent. This is not a difficult procedure, but give yourself two years to go through the paperwork as if there is any mistake in the filing, you could be delayed an additional six months.

Expeditious naturalization through a grandparent
Under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, a child under age 18 who has a U.S. citizen grandparent who meets the physical presence requirements may qualify for expeditious naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act. Although not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth, the child can, through this procedure, become a U.S. citizen by naturalization without first having to take up residence in the United States. It is, however, necessary for the child to travel to the United States for the naturalization, and all applications and documentation must be submitted and approved beforehand. This procedure must be done through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and can take from six months to a year or more.

For more information, see http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

All good advice except for the above in bold. They didn't do this for our daughter a few months ago and of course we had to make another trip to the capital.