Hearing aids? Anyone ever gotten one in the DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nope. I did mention equalizers... Designing embedded microprocessor and DSP systems was what I did when I was an Electronic Engineer. See my other response to CB on that point.
I am not debating the technology.

One would think if the margins for simple technology are so high, that $4000-$10,000 is an absurd price bordering on price gouging, that a tech company would employ the same tech in devices at a fraction of the price.

But that's not happening. No one is filling the void.

Why do you think that is?

Seems that the cost of hearing aids is similar to the cost of new pharmaceuticals: a ton of R&D has to be amortized over a small volume. Computers are mass produced and the research cost is easily amortized. But hearing aids don't have the luxury of economies of scale.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Costs for hearing aids are so expensive because the market place is controlled by a few manufacturers. Diamonds, hearing aids, mattresses and funerals are examples where the cost to the consumer is kept higher than cost to produce/provide plus a reasonable profit.

There are hearing aid manufacturers that now sell directly to the consumer at more than a modest savings. The consumer then needs to find an audiologist that will to charge them just for the fitting and tuning services. The one stop shopper is the one that gets gouged the most. Like eye glasses. Submit your prescription online, choose your lens options and a frame, then take the glasses to a local eyewear emporium to have them fitted and adjusted for comfort. Usually much cheaper than walking into a place and going from eye test to glasses in hand all in one stop.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Costs for hearing aids are so expensive because the market place is controlled by a few manufacturers. Diamonds, hearing aids, mattresses and funerals are examples where the cost to the consumer is kept higher than cost to produce/provide plus a reasonable profit.

There are hearing aid manufacturers that now sell directly to the consumer at more than a modest savings. The consumer then needs to find an audiologist that will to charge them just for the fitting and tuning services. The one stop shopper is the one that gets gouged the most. Like eye glasses. Submit your prescription online, choose your lens options and a frame, then take the glasses to a local eyewear emporium to have them fitted and adjusted for comfort. Usually much cheaper than walking into a place and going from eye test to glasses in hand all in one stop.

Absolutely, its expensive because there is the opportunity for profit. Modern electronic tech must be able to produce a moderate priced system. Hearing aids have always been expensive. How is it that the electronic technology bypassed
hearing? The idea that insurance companies call it cosmetic or optional is outrageous. What is the situation in Canada? Does the health care system cover hearing aids?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There may be a slim ray of hope on the horizon for US buyers as there is legislation in the US Congress to allow sales of over the counter hearing aids. Supposedly the purpose is to lower costs and create more availability of hearing aids. We'll see !

The caveat is it may be another opportunity for companies like the eyeglass giant Luxottica to buy out mfg's and point of sale vendors in order to monopolize the hearing aid market and keep prices artificially high to the annoyance of the public in need.

Health care is a endless money maker for providers feeding from a captive market.

Regards,

PJT

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Large players with an interest in controlling the market place will either starve new players out of business or buy them out to solidify their control. Hearing aid technology is understood and for the most part is infinitely reproducible. Very slowly, cracks are appearing and widening in some of these markets.

One can now buy a cardboard casket, contract for a transfer service and rent a space for a funeral all outside of the established funeral industry that is controlled by a handful of large corporate entities. The desire for someone to walk through one door and leave with an entire solution is leveraged against them when the major players insist that it all or nothing if you wish to use any of the services they offer. Why is a two piece plastic box for cremation ashes $400? Because most people aren't prepared to say "No more" and embrace a more hands on approach in their time of grief. Funeral arrangements in most cases are initiated within days of the event and that doesn't leave much time for a considered weighing of one's options.

Mattresses drive me crazy. I accept it is something that I use 8 hours everyday but I do not see that as justification for having to spend $1500+ for some wood, fabric, padding and springs. Even more so with a mattress that is all foam, I don't care if it was developed by NASA for astronauts as a justification for it's inflated price. If mattresses were much cheaper, I might choose buy a new one every year.

Hearing aids are no different. Material parts for a manufacturer are somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars. Add some labor, overhead expenses and profit and the manufacturer is fine. From here, the profit margins soar into the stratosphere as retailers pad their charges to cover a limited potential client base and bundle services for which there is a compulsory charge that some customers would opt not to take advantage of if that option existed, so it isn't offered as a choice.

Medical insurance may not cover hearing aids because if they did so, for a period of time, the prices would rise again because of the deeper pockets of insurance companies and an expanded customer base who can now take advantage of the technology that was previous priced beyond their reach.

You see this same approach here in the DR for many products and services. Rather than a fair and equitable price that promotes repeat sales and service, it ends up being a focus on getting as much as possible all at once which sours the customer on the idea of going back for some future need.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I picked up two packages from Business Mail yesterday. One contained a pair of prescription sunglasses that I purchased online for the ridiculous price $17.90 delivered to Miami. It took a bit over two weeks, but for the savings, I was willing to wait. The second package contained a pair of prescription reading glasses (not willing to trust online ordering for progressive lenses yet.) Their price, delivered to Miami, was an even more ridiculous $11.90. Both fit perfectly and the readers are wonderful to obviate eyestrain.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Link to these hearing aid companies selling direct?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB,

Post #7.
Thanks, but I suspect that those are not as complex as some I have personally seen and watched precision adjustment well after a hearing test.

I'm not sure how to get post-fitting adjustments. Take them to an audiologist? Would he have the equipment? Experience dealing with them? Would he want to work with a product he didn't sell?* Mom CB has had to have adjustments twice in three years.

Great idea for those who need less expensive options, I suppose.

Mom CB's hearing aids are from Denmark, not the US, so US laws don't apply. Surely a company from Scandinavia wouldn't screw consumers...:cheeky:

*A good buddy in Kansas is the last of the truly indepenant motorcycle shops. He gets calls all the time "I bought the tires you have for $30 less online. Will you mount them for me?" His response: "My price included mounting and warrantee. Call the internet and see if they can help you..."

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks, but I suspect that those are not as complex as some I have personally seen and watched precision adjustment well after a hearing test.

I'm not sure how to get post-fitting adjustments. Take them to an audiologist? Would he have the equipment? Experience dealing with them? Would he want to work with a product he didn't sell?* Mom CB has had to have adjustments twice in three years.

Great idea for those who need less expensive options, I suppose..................

I guess if someone is on a shoestring budget those online hearing aids might be a good option or if someone just needs one to watch television. For all day, day to day use go with a good product from a reputable audiologist. A little online research should provide info for which brands are better.

@CB what was the name of the company for your mom's hearing aid? For a long time Siemens was great but Starkey seems to currently have a much better product and I know that brand is available in SD.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I guess if someone is on a shoestring budget those online hearing aids might be a good option or if someone just needs one to watch television. For all day, day to day use go with a good product from a reputable audiologist. A little online research should provide info for which brands are better.

@CB what was the name of the company for your mom's hearing aid? For a long time Siemens was great but Starkey seems to currently have a much better product and I know that brand is available in SD.
The brand is Oticon, supposed to be a top line from Denmark. She says the ones she got here are vastly superior to the ones she had in the states that were $2000 more. They are so tiny, like an invisible thread going to her ears.

Of course I tell her that her issue isn't hearing, it's listening...:cheeky:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
About 2/3 of the cost for a pair is made up of various fees and charges that have nothing to do with the actual cost of the devices themselves - professional services, office charges, adjustments, batteries for life programs etc. AARP has an article you should be able to find easily with google and "real cost of hearing aids".

Check out audicus.com

Sorry, I have no experience with the devices in the DR and I haven't met anyone who has bought them here.

But you can bet if there were no such thing as medicare and people were paying for them themselves the price would be less than $50.00 for sure
Der Fish

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
But you can bet if there were no such thing as medicare and people were paying for them themselves the price would be less than $50.00 for sure
Der Fish
Medicare does not pay for hearing aids.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Fish, Medicare and most private insurances don't cover hearing aids.

May 5, 2007
And $4000 is the price for basic; they go as high as $10,000. I'm thrown that I have a problem to begin with - which only shows up in the TV volume actually - that I am going to do nothing until it either gets worse or someone creates a device that is reasonable for the investment!

There are some really nice sound bars And speaker sets for TV's that address the "spoken voice" spectrum This may alleviate your problem if TV is the only issue

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not debating the technology.

One would think if the margins for simple technology are so high, that $4000-$10,000 is an absurd price bordering on price gouging, that a tech company would employ the same tech in devices at a fraction of the price.

But that's not happening. No one is filling the void.

Why do you think that is?

Seems that the cost of hearing aids is similar to the cost of new pharmaceuticals: a ton of R&D has to be amortized over a small volume. Computers are mass produced and the research cost is easily amortized. But hearing aids don't have the luxury of economies of scale.

You did appear to be debating the technology. Of course the R&D is high. The concept is simple, but the implementation at that small size and long battery life is the complication.

There could also be amazingly complex regulations that need to be met from various government agencies as well.

And probably there are not enough people going deaf that can be helped so the economies of scale are not in play. There is certainly something happening that at first glance defies reason as to why $10,000 can be charged for a set of hearing aids.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm still surprised Medicare doesn't pay anything towards hearing aids! 

Mr AE just received a referral to see an audiologist.  This morning I said "Wow, Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids".  He said "What?"  Can't make this stuff up.  Maybe we'll wait until we return to DR.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then you you said, "Wow, Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids". He said "What?" And then you said, "Wow, Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids". and he said "What?" :speechles

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm still surprised Medicare doesn't pay anything towards hearing aids! 

Mr AE just received a referral to see an audiologist.  This morning I said "Wow, Medicare doesn't pay for hearing aids".  He said "What?"  Can't make this stuff up.  Maybe we'll wait until we return to DR.  

Medicare does not pay for dentures either. Two things many elderly need is hearing aids and dentures and they don't pay.  Go figure??!!

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
My dad had a pair of those fancy things that cost thousands of dollars.  He was always getting them tweaked and he couldn't hear squat anyway.  One day,  frustrated, I decided to see what was available on Amazon.   I selected one of those personal amplifiers with a lot of good reviews for about $150 or so. I figured if he can't use it I can always give it to my maid's father who was also hearing impaired.  

Well, the thing worked so well he didn't use the hearing aids anymore unless we were out in public.  And I ended up buying another one for my maid's father anyway because she was telling me that he was always blasting the TV because he couldn't hear it, driving everyone crazy.  So everything got all quiet and peaceful at her house.  Problem was, the rest of the family didn't realize he could actually hear everything now, and a period of adjustment followed where people got caught redfaced, saying things about dad, who had to keep reminding them "I can hear you now".