Hello DR1 Forum

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I was just there last month....

Does Santo Domingo have nice beaches or are most/if not all is rocky?

Santo Domingo's beach is Boca Chica and it tends to be very crowded as it is popular with the capital's residents for obvious reasons. It does have nice parts, though, such as the private beach and then there is the part where Boca Marina restaurant is located---they have their own section of the beach and a beautiful restaurant with cabanas. I think the next closest beach to the Santo Domingo that is decent is Juan Dolio, but I confess to not to be too informed on what you can do around there.

Where do you think would be another place for me to vacation by myself (39 male) that is English-speaking friendly, beaches, night life, safe, etc. I have another 2 weeks of vacation and could easily go back by myself but my friends/family wouldn't be able to go back this soon.

Thanks

Regarding the nightlife, I think this boils down to what you're into and how much you're willing/able to travel around over there...I will take a different direction than most posters here and advise you to go to Santo Domingo for nightlife options. There are lots of trendy restaurants/lounges and clubs that you can go to, do some sightseeing (Colonial Zone is a must, IMO); For example, Hard Rock Cafe in Blue Mall was surprisingly a very enjoyable experience-- I was hesitant to go at first because I come from the States and have been to several Hard Rock Cafe's and didn't want to go to a US franchise in DR, but I'm really glad I went: they had live music on Tuesdays (merengue, salsa, son, bachata) and the outdoor terrace area is spacious and has decent views of the city + it's in a very decent part of the city, one of the more well-to-do areas and is generally 'safe', and, of course, lots of English-speaking Euro and American tourists. If you want a more 'authentic' Dominican experience, I would recommend a place like Andy Ranch in Santiago, especially on Fridays as they have one of the best merengue tipico bands playing there, Banda Real.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Where do you think would be another place for me to vacation by myself (39 male) that is English-speaking friendly, beaches, night life, safe, etc. I have another 2 weeks of vacation and could easily go back by myself but my friends/family wouldn't be able to go back this soon.

Thanks

Hey Guys, my name is Jason and I reluctantly went to the Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic with my friends and family in June. Well, I am glad I went because I had a blast. I have many questions about the DR and I am hoping this forum will help

Thanks!

Welcome.

Where did you stay in Las Terrenas with family and friends because, for sure it has some of the very best beaches in the country but is not known for it's night life unless you have lived there or are a regular visitor.

Knowing where you stayed and went would help define where would be another good place to go. Las Terrenas is different to many other resort areas and is liked by some and hated by others and vice versa for other resorts.

I read you are thinking of a return with sister perhaps so that is an important consideration too.

Did you frequent La Bodega which is quite a unique nighttime venue and the atmosphere is nothing like I have ever encountered elsewhere in DR? Absolutely brilliant when packed. Or were you out and enjoying Fishermans Village and the discos opposite. Or more interesting down in the heart of the town with the locals?

I loved my time in LT and still go for weekends from Santo Domingo and beyond to the other areas of the Semana peninsula such as the amazingly laid back and small Las Galleras. Bayahibe might be the nearest other place with the resort feel you so enjoyed in LT.

Sosua and Boca Chica are totally different type of resorts and you will quickly get the story by a quick Google. The East Coast is mass tourism and AI dominated.

DR has all the possibilities but to advise best, tell us more about the good of LT and where you stayed.

Sorrizzle

Aug 21, 2017
Regarding the nightlife, I think this boils down to what you're into and how much you're willing/able to travel around over there...I will take a different direction than most posters here and advise you to go to Santo Domingo for nightlife options. There are lots of trendy restaurants/lounges and clubs that you can go to, do some sightseeing (Colonial Zone is a must, IMO); For example, Hard Rock Cafe in Blue Mall was surprisingly a very enjoyable experience-- I was hesitant to go at first because I come from the States and have been to several Hard Rock Cafe's and didn't want to go to a US franchise in DR, but I'm really glad I went: they had live music on Tuesdays (merengue, salsa, son, bachata) and the outdoor terrace area is spacious and has decent views of the city + it's in a very decent part of the city, one of the more well-to-do areas and is generally 'safe', and, of course, lots of English-speaking Euro and American tourists. If you want a more 'authentic' Dominican experience, I would recommend a place like Andy Ranch in Santiago, especially on Fridays as they have one of the best merengue tipico bands playing there, Banda Real.[/QUOTE]

Jenmar, thanks for the info. I think Santo Domingo is what I am looking for

Sorrizzle

Aug 21, 2017
Welcome.

Where did you stay in Las Terrenas with family and friends because, for sure it has some of the very best beaches in the country but is not known for it's night life unless you have lived there or are a regular visitor.

Knowing where you stayed and went would help define where would be another good place to go. Las Terrenas is different to many other resort areas and is liked by some and hated by others and vice versa for other resorts.

I read you are thinking of a return with sister perhaps so that is an important consideration too.

Did you frequent La Bodega which is quite a unique nighttime venue and the atmosphere is nothing like I have ever encountered elsewhere in DR? Absolutely brilliant when packed. Or were you out and enjoying Fishermans Village and the discos opposite. Or more interesting down in the heart of the town with the locals?

I loved my time in LT and still go for weekends from Santo Domingo and beyond to the other areas of the Semana peninsula such as the amazingly laid back and small Las Galleras. Bayahibe might be the nearest other place with the resort feel you so enjoyed in LT.

Sosua and Boca Chica are totally different type of resorts and you will quickly get the story by a quick Google. The East Coast is mass tourism and AI dominated.

DR has all the possibilities but to advise best, tell us more about the good of LT and where you stayed.

We stayed in Loma Bonita, went to the beach across from Eden and by the botchi ball during the day and out to eat at night. I would then venture off to El Mosquito Bar when everyone would go back and go to bed. A lot of English-speaking music until around midnight which was great.

I never heard of La Bodega and I don't believe I went to the Fishermans Village either. When I got back to the States a guy beside me at a bar over-heard me talking about the Dominican and said he has an apartment down in Bayahibe. Said I could go down with them whenever as he goes down every 2 months. So, I'm leaning towards Bayahibe or Santo Domingo

I know your opinion is going to be different than mine but I consider LT a beach town than a resort type of town. We had to go to the store every other day to get food which was an adventure in itself and I only met a few people in the whole town that spoke English. I ended up using Google translate a lot which was a big help

Thanks for the info

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mean no harm, but it yanks my nads when travellers go to foreign countries and look for "english friendly" environs. Go to mall of americas ferchissakes!.
In another country, don't bring your yank or euro attitudes, and act like a total putz. Do some research before you leave teaneck, NJ. Learn some common phrases. Trying to get your point across by talking slooowly in english, is not a good look.
Not pointing a finger directly at you, but speaking generally, because I see it all the time, and it irks me. "why don't they speak any english here?" GTFOHWTS

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Jenmar, thanks for the info. I think Santo Domingo is what I am looking for

You're welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the Piantini (along the Ave. Gustavo Mejia Ricart especially) and Naco sectors of Santo Domingo. You will find the best options for bars/lounges/clubs that are English-speaker friendly and are some of the best areas ($$$) of the city; HRC is in this vicinity also.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We stayed in Loma Bonita, went to the beach across from Eden and by the botchi ball during the day and out to eat at night. I would then venture off to El Mosquito Bar when everyone would go back and go to bed. A lot of English-speaking music until around midnight which was great.

I never heard of La Bodega and I don't believe I went to the Fishermans Village either. When I got back to the States a guy beside me at a bar over-heard me talking about the Dominican and said he has an apartment down in Bayahibe. Said I could go down with them whenever as he goes down every 2 months. So, I'm leaning towards Bayahibe or Santo Domingo

I know your opinion is going to be different than mine but I consider LT a beach town than a resort type of town. We had to go to the store every other day to get food which was an adventure in itself and I only met a few people in the whole town that spoke English. I ended up using Google translate a lot which was a big help

Thanks for the info

Loma Bonita.

Nice end to a lovely town beach and the best part of that beach is in front of you.

There used to be a small restaurant just at the end of that beach next to the hotel but the French guy moved to one just back from the town centre near BanReservas. He knew how to cook and offer value for money. There was a new beach bar at this location and I guess you must have frequented that place and maybe it is as named.

That says it all. you enjoyed the very European feel to the place. Enjoyed the interaction with locals when shopping. and didn't go to the potentially seediest place and probably the only one in LT. So don't even think of Sosua, Boca Chica and PP for now. go explore Bayahibe to start and build up your good experiences.

SD is another big disorganised developing city which I actually like in the places I go, but it is no tourist city except for a few day visit to zona colonial and no beaches. I live there and am comfortable but have work in the resort areas. Investigate Bayahibe as your next stop.

Sorrizzle

Aug 21, 2017
I don't mean no harm, but it yanks my nads when travellers go to foreign countries and look for "english friendly" environs. Go to mall of americas ferchissakes!.
In another country, don't bring your yank or euro attitudes, and act like a total putz. Do some research before you leave teaneck, NJ. Learn some common phrases. Trying to get your point across by talking slooowly in english, is not a good look.
Not pointing a finger directly at you, but speaking generally, because I see it all the time, and it irks me. "why don't they speak any english here?" GTFOHWTS

Rollout, great point and I am working on my Spanish through the Dual Lingo app. Also, I guess I'm not looking for a complete English speaking town but a little more than Las Terrenas.

Sorrizzle

Aug 21, 2017
You're welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the Piantini (along the Ave. Gustavo Mejia Ricart especially) and Naco sectors of Santo Domingo. You will find the best options for bars/lounges/clubs that are English-speaker friendly and are some of the best areas ($$$) of the city; HRC is in this vicinity also.

Thanks Jenmar. I was already looking at the Colonial area and will take these into account

Sorrizzle

Aug 21, 2017
Loma Bonita.

Nice end to a lovely town beach and the best part of that beach is in front of you.

There used to be a small restaurant just at the end of that beach next to the hotel but the French guy moved to one just back from the town centre near BanReservas. He knew how to cook and offer value for money. There was a new beach bar at this location and I guess you must have frequented that place and maybe it is as named.

That says it all. you enjoyed the very European feel to the place. Enjoyed the interaction with locals when shopping. and didn't go to the potentially seediest place and probably the only one in LT. So don't even think of Sosua, Boca Chica and PP for now. go explore Bayahibe to start and build up your good experiences.

SD is another big disorganised developing city which I actually like in the places I go, but it is no tourist city except for a few day visit to zona colonial and no beaches. I live there and am comfortable but have work in the resort areas. Investigate Bayahibe as your next stop.

I thought so too. I would hit the beach every day, get a drink at Eden in order to keep the beach chair and then lay in the sun, snorkel, and drink during the day. I believe there is another restaurant/bar location before Eden but I picked that place because it was nicer and the mojitos were awesome. Never had one until going to LT! The next bar going towards town served coco locos (drink in a coconut) and even the virgin one I bought for my niece was excellent. I think the food & drinks in the Dominican are better than what I can get in the US.

We had two quads in the group and some people would go shopping during the day and others go on tours but yes, almost all of us loved LT and my sister and I want to go back.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
ROFLCOPTERS

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

post of the year.....

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I think Bayahibe would be a great place for you. Lots of Italian tourists who speak a little english and you're only about an hour and a half from Santo Domingo by car. Beaches are beautiful and tourist friendly with some night life as well. Great choice.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I thought so too. I would hit the beach every day, get a drink at Eden in order to keep the beach chair and then lay in the sun, snorkel, and drink during the day. I believe there is another restaurant/bar location before Eden but I picked that place because it was nicer and the mojitos were awesome. Never had one until going to LT! The next bar going towards town served coco locos (drink in a coconut) and even the virgin one I bought for my niece was excellent. I think the food & drinks in the Dominican are better than what I can get in the US.

We had two quads in the group and some people would go shopping during the day and others go on tours but yes, almost all of us loved LT and my sister and I want to go back.

Some people love the place.

I lived maybe half a mile along that beach towards the town in an apartment just before Hotel Alisei for a year back in 2014/2015 and I would walk all the way to Loma Bonita every day and swim at that end.

I had an American neighbor, and they are quite rare in LT, and he and his family adored the place too.

It seems LT is very much to your liking and knowing the area well, believe you found the best place to stay near the town itself, but if you really want to enjoy the place more ought to investigate Playa Bonita (which as the crow flies is just the other side of Loma Bonita, but there is not path through private property that I know of....you could kayak around the Loma). And then Playa Coson and the rest of the Samana peninsula. In my opinion having travelled around the country Samana Province has the some of the very best the country can offer. Look at Las Galeras now too and for more excitement the Dominican Tree House resort http://dominicantreehousevillage.com/ for a few days in your trip and it is great for quads, zip lines and super secluded beach and in the tropical jungle.