Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
3 places to eat in Boca Chica:
1. Boca Marina
2. Neptuno's
3. Bocana
Now, this does not mean there are not other places. There are tons. I am only providing you with 3 places I have eaten at in the last 6 weeks. The quality is very good, and therefore the prices will be on par with New York. For example, a Presidente pequena in Boca Marina is 280 pesos. I was there last Tuesday. Go with a bottle of wine instead. Remember, in a restaurant, you're not just paying for the food (as should be), but also the ambiance/views/service etc.....
Just from experience, you get more bang (no pun intended) for your buck in Juan Dolio. Only 10-15 minutes removed from Boca Chica. Great restaurants. More affordable prices. No Northshore BS.

Agree, Restaurants in Juan Dolio has good food, Spanish Restaurant, El Concon, Madere, and I have read good reviews about the Argentian Rest. in front of Banco Popular and the only warning about that rest is about the prices of the wines.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dont laugh, but when I first started going to the DR (the Capital)...the group i was traveling with used to say " You know you can get 14% + down here on your money, so its not bad,, a lot of good things here you cant get back in the states"
Good thing I was just not greedy enough to give such Foolishness a second thought... but quite a few people have fallen for this over the years .. My guess is their real problems started when they tried to get back their Principal .. Just amazing how Gullible people can be..
But the way it was briefly explained to me as "plausible" is that in poor countries like the DR, People can not get CREDIT , so these Other types of Lenders Charge much higher interest Rates to these high Risk folks , and therefore can AFFORD to Borrow money at much higher rates,,, ergo the Investor who will get his 14%+ Cut ... that just seemed Wrong to me on so many levels ..so I was never even tempted .

you are absolutely right when you say that the problem comes when you try to get the principal back. i know quite a few guys who had well over a quarter of a million dollars deposited in the famous lending house that went belly up a few years ago. they were getting a nice return on their money. they lived off the interest. the bank collapsed when a bunch of people wanted their money back, and the house had no liquidity. it had lent out all the money to regular guys at 10% per week interest, and all they had was collateral, which they could not liquidate.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I would strongly agree that Juan Dolio would be much better than Boca Chica however since people watching is one of my favorite things to do Boca Chica is worth an hour or two. You can pull in on your way back from Juan Dolio, there is a one way street going east to west close to the water (avoid the aggressive "parking assistants" park by the park which would be on your right, you can walk the beach for a bit and either settle on the beach or the colmado across the street from the park and watch the festivities. It can be great entertainment. (ignore anyone that says "my fren, my fren").
Have a great time!

zerocool

Nov 22, 2015
hi and welcome in the name of the dominican people decent from here , im johan i can help on translating or ride you

zerocool

Nov 22, 2015
I'll be visiting Santo Domingo in late Feb for a few weeks for vacation and to learn about investment opportunities. What are the best areas for activities, nightlife and what neighborhoods should I avoid?

welcome im fully bilingual if need help

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll just get some mofongo then

just remember that you have to eat it right away. it ain't like pizza, wherein you can save a slice for tomorrow. as soon as it gets cold, you need a jackhammer to break it into small fork sized servings. the thing is basically mangu with mystery meat.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Yes, Boca Chica is a dump.  If you use Uber in the states, it is available here at usually half the price of the taxis.  They are newer cars, clean and the drivers are pleasant and most have some level of English.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
hi and welcome in the name of the dominican people decent from here , im johan i can help on translating or ride you

No offense Johan but I think you want to say you can drive him? unless of course you are a Sanky?

Status
Not open for further replies.