Hello, Hola!

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Wrong.
Active tourists usually have a tight agenda and expect punctual pickups for excursions and services.
If the OP is not prepared for that he need not engage in business with tourists and tour operators. :tired:

donP

DonP, you're a bit of a wet blanket. I'm quite aware of the difference between business time and cultural time. I've lived in Guatemala and imagine it's not significantly different than there.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Welcome! Good luck with the move and finding income. I truly wish you all the best.

Thank you! I appreciate the positive comment among the sea of negativity!

I understand reality quite well. Some of these people are just negative to be negative. I'm sure a certain amount of their attitude is simply because they don't like the idea of more interlopers in their country (never mind that most of these are ex-pats), and they can't stand the idea of some young and ignorant buck thinking he knows all about how to succeed in their country.

Well, I don't know it all. I'm gathering information, and I'm trying to learn. I'm also pretty sure that if they were to get to know me, they'd be more than happy to have me as a friend living down in the D.R. I'm quite an intelligent and friendly person, and plenty of fun, and I like everyone regardless of how annoying they might be... :laugh:

Thank you again, drescape24!

John M.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Dealing with tourists here has to be investigated very carefully. The owners of existing tourism businesses are very jealous of their operations, and many have the resources to make it very difficult for anyone else to come in and set up shop.

As is always said on here, you need to come here to live first, and get a grasp on what you want to do, and determine if anybody else is doing it.

If you don't, there is a very real possibility of losing a LOT of money. I've seen it happen more times than I could ever hope to remember.

Very good advice, and I am listening to it. Despite what some of the negative Nellies might think, I am paying attention to all these things. However, I'm committed to doing this thing, so I simply have to find a way to do it, even if it's impossible. I've done the impossible plenty of times in my life...

John M.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
Welcome John, my family and I are also in the planning stages to move to Sosua. We have a 13 and 9yr old and we are hoping to move down full time towards the end of the summer.

That's awesome brlatm! I hope we are down there by then! We'll have to get together and hang out! Message me!

John M.