Help Me.

George

Jan 1, 2002
ecabarete.net
I have just found my son is having a problem in La Ramana. He was jailed for domestic as far as i can tell from a call from his friend. My spanish is bad to worse. I do not know nothing more or where to call for help. All the people I know are on the north coast. If anyone has or can find any information and post it here it would be a great help.

His name is Joshua Hutchinson
From USA ,Ohio
Thank you.
George (DAD)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have you contacted the American Consulate? They should be contacted immediately. The number I have for the Consulate is 809-586-5761 and the number for the Embassy is 809-221-2171. Unfortunately today is Thanksgiving and is being celebrated as an American holiday by the staff, but I would think there would be someone on duty to deal with emergencies. (FYI, our time here is presently 2 hours ahead of yours in Ohio.)

You might also want to consider contacting your Congressman and enlist his help.

I hope your son wasn't arrested for a drug-related offense.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Here is a link to all the directions to follow

George said:
He is on a charge that was proven to be wrong and they still want 500.00 us to let him out. No drugs involved.
Thanks for the #s

and emergency numbers to call:

http://travel.state.gov/overseas_citizens.html

Quote:

Hours of Operation:

OCS is open Monday-Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time. The OCS toll-free hotline at 1-888-407-4747 is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday-Friday, except U.S. federal holidays. Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may obtain information and assistance during these hours by calling 317-472-2328.

For after-hours emergencies, Sundays and holidays, please call 202-647-4000 and request the OCS duty officer.

Dominican Republic specifically: Local #:The American Citizens Services unit can be reached by telephone at (809) 731-4294

General advice: Get a lawyer (Call Fabio) , pay the $500.00 is that is certain and get him the hell out of Dodge.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
George said:
He is on a charge that was proven to be wrong and they still want 500.00 us to let him out. No drugs involved.

Unfortunetly, George, it is not uncommon to have to pay to resolve your problems with the police, even if you aren't at fault. If it were me, I'd pay the money and leave; I'd rather spend $500 than time in a Dominican jail.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
As long as you are sure it is not

throwing good money after bad.
E.g. give them the dough and he still is in the pokey.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get a lawyer in La Romana!! That US$500 is bull schitt!

Get you son out of La Romana and out of the country, he is not going to make it here!

HB