Help-Santiago to Airport in Santo Domingo

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
I'll be driving from Santiago to Santo Domingo to drop somebody off for a Spirit airlines flight to Fort Lauderdale this Fri. The couple of times I've driven thru Santo Domingo on this trip it's been a hassle. One time I ended up driving thru downtown streets before finding the right way. Are there any tips for staying on the right and most direct road to the airport. Thanks in advance. Ed

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would think the easiest route to follow would be Autopista Duarte, that becomes John F. Kennedy Avenue. Stay on it all the time, until you are forced to turn right onto Leopoldo Navarro avenue (heading south for about two long streets). Follow that road to 27 de Febrero Avenue. Watch closely for the indication to take the upper overpass expedite road, and that will put you onto Las Americas Expressway, which heads east all the time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would vary the above directions only a little bit. I did that drive twice over the past two weeks.

As you come into Santo Domingo, do stay on John f. Kennedy, following the signs to the Aeropuerto/ always take the elevated portions -the two left lanes--until you come to the Olympic Center--You can see the big stadium on your right. Ahead you see a half moon type pedestrian bridge. Go to the far right lane, and as you come to the intersection, turn right. that is M?ximo G?mez. Go to the next major intersection and turn left. That is 27 de Febrero. Now you take one of the far left lanes and off you go to the airport.
(The reason i suggest this is that going under 27 de Febrero and then up onto the elevated portion can be rather confusing. For those of us who do this frequently, i find that using Maximo Gomez is the faster route)

Cordially

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are taking that early morning flight, you need to leave about 2 1/2 hours for the trip. Take RD$30 in coins for the tolls going out of Santo Domingo--it saves time.
I have done it in less than two, but, miracles of miracles, I crossed from the lights at Manoguayabo to the airport in 35 minutes....no traffic at all...it was early!!!

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Depending on the traffic it could take from 1:30 hour to 2 hours to get to Santo Domingo. Most of the delay will happen entering Santo Domingo. Plan on two hours and then another 40 minutes to get to the airport.

Last edited: