Help: Traveling to DR without a US passport

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
axemt said:
A friend of mine (US citizen, not Dominican) is traveling to DR (SD) but he won't get his passport in time (long story.)

We already called the US embassy on DR and they told us that he can enter/exit the country with just his birth certificated and a photo id (driver's license preferably.) They "strongly" recommend that you have a passport but in any case those documents would suffice.

They also advised him to call the Airline (AA) and check with them to see if they have had any trouble with US passengers traveling like that (their experience lately.)

I'd tell my friend to cancel his trip because we know how things work here and there is always some trouble that we don't know about and I don't want him to go through a bad experience.

I'd like to know if any one can comment/help on this please?

Greatly appreciate it.

From past experience. I know that associates that were traveling to the Dominican Republic and needed a passport right away just had to bring down the airline tickets to the passport office. They would then have their passports within a week. It cannot get any faster then that. As far as traveling out of the country without a passport I would never advise that. However if you do, then Anna's advice of bringing a birth certificate is essential besides a drivers liscense. Government ID such as a military ID card or something to that extent is always a plus.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
the first time i went to brazil i needed a passport&visa and called a company and had both at my door in 2 days.but my friend went to the dr with family which had passports and he did not, and had some problems.

desiluna

Dec 22, 2004
passport issue

easygoin said:
the first time i went to brazil i needed a passport&visa and called a company and had both at my door in 2 days.but my friend went to the dr with family which had passports and he did not, and had some problems.

I both my aunt an electronic ticket to go with me to DR shes flying from PR Im flying from US Im waiting for my passport but she doesnt have one and my fly is in two weeks does she really need one to fly from one island to another? PS I hope my gets on time because they have my original birth certificate and I pay a lot of money to have it in two weeks.

axemt said:
A friend of mine (US citizen, not Dominican) is traveling to DR (SD) but he won't get his passport in time (long story.)

We already called the US embassy on DR and they told us that he can enter/exit the country with just his birth certificated and a photo id (driver's license preferably.) They "strongly" recommend that you have a passport but in any case those documents would suffice.

They also advised him to call the Airline (AA) and check with them to see if they have had any trouble with US passengers traveling like that (their experience lately.)

I'd tell my friend to cancel his trip because we know how things work here and there is always some trouble that we don't know about and I don't want him to go through a bad experience.

I'd like to know if any one can comment/help on this please?

Greatly appreciate it.

Birth certificate is fine as long as it has the raised seal on it (official certificate ) and a photo ID. I always travelled like that, just got my passport last year.
Badpiece

A

apostropheman

badpiece33 said:
Birth certificate is fine as long as it has the raised seal on it (official certificate ) and a photo ID. I always travelled like that, just got my passport last year.
Badpiece

It works the same from Canada as well. 2 trips to the DR with only my driver's license and birth certificate. In fact they only wanted to see the picture ID and told me to keep the birth certificate.

Has anyone has their birth certificate stamped like they would a passport?

let_me_be22

Feb 21, 2006
hi my name is gen!

jrzyguy said:
you can get your passport on the same day...providing you have an airline ticket. it MIGHT be next day....but you can get it really fast

how did you get your passport the same day?
i'm CAnadian travelling to Us soon (2 weeks and still don't have a passport) but i am married but separated since 6 months,but no prove of it yet,so my birth certificat is not the same name as my photo ID now,and my laywer has my Marriga certificate now.Do you know somebody that would be able to help me with my situation?
am new here

let_me_be22

Feb 21, 2006
hi everyone! can anybody help me?

DominicanScotty said:
From past experience. I know that associates that were traveling to the Dominican Republic and needed a passport right away just had to bring down the airline tickets to the passport office. They would then have their passports within a week. It cannot get any faster then that. As far as traveling out of the country without a passport I would never advise that. However if you do, then Anna's advice of bringing a birth certificate is essential besides a drivers liscense. Government ID such as a military ID card or something to that extent is always a plus.

my question is that i have my G1 but only my temporary paper stating that i am this person,but no pic on it yet.also have a affidavid stating that i am the this person with a passport pic on it, and also my health card stating also with a pic that i am who i am,would that be eneugh to proof to travel to the US without a passport?
if anybody can help me on this it would be great ,considering that i am living in 2 weeks,

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
AnnaC said:
How long does it take to get a passport in the US?

4 weeks.........You also have an option of using an agency which will get your passport in 2 weeks

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
let_me_be22 said:
i'm CAnadian travelling to Us soon (2 weeks and still don't have a passport) but i am married but separated since 6 months,but no prove of it yet,so my birth certificat is not the same name as my photo ID now,and my laywer has my Marriga certificate now.Do you know somebody that would be able to help me with my situation?
am new here
Jrzyguy's post was referring to getting a US passport.

According to the Continental website, below are the documents required for a Canadian to enter the US:

/ 22FEB06 / 0144 UTC
National CANADA (CA) /Embarkation CANADA (CA)
Destination U.S.A. (US)

U.S.A. (US)

Passport (must be valid at time of entry; passenger may be
authorized to stay until the expiry date of the passport)
required.

Also accepted:
A) if entering from the Western Hemisphere (for definition of
Western Hemisphere see: For details, click here ):
- Canadian Birth Certificate; or
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship;
B) foreign passport, provided containing stamp which reads
Canadian Border Crossing Identity Card , and holder is
travelling directly from Canada or Mexico to the U.S.A.

In all cases:
Visa not required.

* If coming directly from Guam or Virgin Isl.: pre-inspection
by the USA Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will have taken
place prior to embarkation, when passengers are required to
provide proof of their legal right to enter U.S.A.

* If coming directly from Puerto Rico: pre-inspection may take
place by CBP prior to embarkation, when passengers are
required to provide their documents and proof of their legal
right to enter U.S.A.

* If not holding tickets and documents required for return/
onward destination entry may be refused and deportation
may follow. This depends on the Immigration Authorities.
* Non-compliance with entry requirements result in fines
varying between USD 2,000 and USD 3,000 per passenger and
either deportation or indefinite delay for passenger at
point of entry (detention costs at carrier's expense).
* Fines for incomplete/inaccurately filled out I-94 or I-94W
Forms: USD 1,000.- per passenger.
* Minors: for specific information see: For details, click here -
item 11 and For details, click here - items 2, 3 and 4.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
let_me_be22 said:
am new here

First just going to the US you don't need a passport. Yet.

Get the marriage certificate back temporarily, go to the passport office with the application , photos , signature of your guarantor and get a passport. It only takes a week and you can pay for 48 hour expedited service. The office does not keep any of the original documents (they just examine them) and then you go home, on the way give the lawyer the marriage certificate back.

Decide what name you want the passport in - maiden name I suppose, use the marriage certificate to show why your other ID is different.

In Toronto you can go to the PP office at 8 a.m. and be out by 9 and back the following week to get it.