Here is what I want to do; deal is, is it doable?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
like Hilbilly said, you can go through San Cristobal- Bani
decent map of this country map costs 200 pesos....

I have a map - and Google Maps too - but it doesn't tell you the REAL state of the roads! And I can't find anything called El Baden on any map that I have access to.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
take them to Moncion and then over to Monte Cristi

drive up to san jose to las matas, then to the new dam in Moncion and a cold drink at El Cerro bar in honor of senator chris dodd, over to SR for some mamba on your casabe and up to the Moro at Monte Cristi. are they are RPCVs?
your old compai, hurican david

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
drive up to san jose to las matas, then to the new dam in Moncion and a cold drink at El Cerro bar in honor of senator chris dodd, over to SR for some mamba on your casabe and up to the Moro at Monte Cristi. are they are RPCVs?

This is a good plan, too. Monte Cristi has a brand new boutique hotel where you can stay. Get the hotel to arrange for a boat trip to one of the cayos, and head out to Cayo Arena. HB's turf and the mangroves. That is a wonderful trip. Better use of the four days.

Moncion and the dam is lovely, food (chivo guisado) is very good, too.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Don't know if this is the hotel that Dolores is referring to but I stayed here and it was wonderful.. Lovely small A frames high up on a hill, great pool, good food, great hosts. *no tv

Love the idea of having the hotel arrange for a boat out to the Cayos,

Hostal San Fernando (Dominican Republic/Monte Cristi) - Hostel Reviews - TripAdvisor

I arranged for a boat to take us to a platform in the mangroves and come back for us in three hours but found out that there was no ladder.. oops..

The beach at El Moro is impressive but waves are high,

But I imagine that going out to one of the beaches on the Cays would be great,

there is also a little marina. yacht club there and there might be a sport fisherman who would take you out on a longer trip.

Warning. Bring mosquito repellent. Even though they will not bother you much at the San Fernando.. the mosquitos in Monte Christi have organized themselves into battalions. Maybe a border patrol.

There is a good french restaurant in town.

And go over to Pepe Salcedo, Manzanillo,,, where there is also a good fish restaurant (only one in town) and then you can walk over to the edge of the Massacre River where it comes out into the sand flats by the sea and swim in it. Current is not strong and the water is gorgeous.

There is also a high mountain road outside of Dajabon which goes to a gorgeous monument, thought it was called Capatillo, but googled to no avail. It is a beautiful monument to the liberation of the country from Spain. Real serenity.

If you only have four days, I would not try for Pedernales from Santiago. It is about 6 hours from SD and about three hours of that is cactus. And for me, the road and the area does not get to be nice until south of Barahona,, which in an of itself is just a busy city with one good restaurant.

Also, whether going to Monte Christe or Pedernales, make sure that you take your passports (perhaps copies will do if you are all obviously pale faced) because there are lots of Border Checks.. No worries. They are not shake downs in any way.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
HB,

Things can change. PJT was in Constanza the middle of May. It had been raining and PJT set out to head to the Pyramids and Villa Pajon. However, above Constanza just beyond the Inapa water storage tanks where the side road to the right descends into the valley the creek at the bottom was too high to cross safely in PJT's 4x4 Tacoma. He then opted to take Rt 41 as an alternate route. However, about 2 - 3 km beyond the turnoff for Aguas Blancas the road turned to a mush of mud and deep ruts. A loaded Daihatsu Delta was stationed/abandoned in the middle of the road, figured the operator took an invite from a farmer for a coffee and to wait for dry season. When the locals put a stop to their trip, PJT figured it was better sense to return to Constanza.

If someone has recently traveled the road please advise the conditions.

Regards,

PJT

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I was riding from Moncion to San Jose de Las matas and it was one of the worst roads that I had in this country...But maybe I lost way that time...no asfalt, just potholes..took me 2 hours to drive 25 kms....

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Monte Cristi is also a great choice to stay, like mountainannie said...nice and quiet city...I'm here from last few weeks :)

and as PJT said, bear in mind that raining season in mountains...is not so fun

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo relates the road from constanza to san jose de ocoa is passable in good weather and using 4x4. will take hours thou, because the conditions are so bad (his friend recently came back from a trip there). as to his advice whether to do it or now he said: it will be an adventure in itself. :)

now i must admit i am interested :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So is there any reasonable way to go from the Autopista Duarte over the mountains towards Barahona without going through Santo Domingo?
Yes! The El Baden bypasd to San Cristobel. Plus, make a stop at Cuevas del Pomier before San Cristobel...

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We tried to go on the road from Constanza to Barahona on our 4x4 a couple of months ago.The road looked ok on a map but we ended up in Jurassic park. In th emiddle of nowhere. THe roads were completely impassible. The very worst you can imagine with 1000 foot cliffs on the side. We were basically screwed .Luckily a 4x4 club from constanza happened to pass buy about 5. ( We left constanza at 11 am. The had serious 4x4 with winches tow chains shovels etc. They towed us out. and we got back at 12:30 after one of them fell off the road.
It was the most beautiful scenery I have seen in my life. Nooooooooooobdy lives there.

Maybe we took a wrong turn. There was a sign painted on a tree saying"Pirates". and 4x4 .

Opps .

It was the most exciting adventure imaginable . We were very glad to be back in the hotel in Constanza otherwise it would have been Survivorman- like the tv show.

we are going to join the club and plan other adventures , but this time with the pros.

I would upload photos but can't figure out how to do it on this site

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it looks like a road fit for one of those:
[video=youtube;dLvlfAyduvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvlfAyduvA[/video]

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
that is the danger of a 4x4.. that you can get stuck in a place that No One can get you out of! You were really lucky with that rescue.. thanks for posting. Would have been horrible to have lost HB and crew!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
the new paved mountain road from Constanza to Jaraboacoa, by contrast, is amazing. It goes right across the ridge and takes what seems like forever and folks do live there.. an amazing drive,, and an amazing feat of engineering. Make sure you carry water, if not for yourselves or your car, for the other older cars that you may pass who will overheat on the mountain road. Not for those who get carsick.

but gorgeous views like the ones posted.