Hey, Let's Be Careful Out There

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Conchman said:
I thought most homicides were domestic disputes

Most homicides in DR Are against Aggressive forum posters !

I also think that the future of the Dominican is good. There were 2000 more police officers hired recently and the government also trained a special task force of 75 people , I forget , some sort of special crime unit. The police are computerizing and Immigration laws are tightening up. How many of those murders were against or commited by Haitians due to the discrimatory attitudes?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Dr1smelp

discriminatory
? adjective showing discrimination or prejudice.
What is discrimatory?

The Dominican, is that a Country or a person you are referring to?

I am done with you now BOZO, sorry JOJO!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Thanks for your corrections once again .

Tamborista said:
discriminatory
? adjective showing discrimination or prejudice.
What is discrimatory?

The Dominican, is that a Country or a person you are referring to?

I am done with you now BOZO, sorry JOJO!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
andrea9k said:
Nals, extra judicial killings by police is a homicide in my book. Do you really think if the killer is a policeman makes the crime something correct? Or are you saying if the dead was a criminal then the killing doesnt count?...
It makes a difference regarding a typical person being the victim in any single homicide case.

There are three types of homicides to be considered and although all three are horrible, only one is the most dangerous due to the uncertainty of whether or not anyone would ever (God forbid) become a homicide victim.

1. Relational Homicide (I am calling this "relational" although the actual term used might be different). This is usually the most typical of homicides. Usually, the person killed was known by the criminal, perhaps even family. This type of homicide incidence is harmless to most people, unless someone you know has a tremendous grudge on you and is capable of commiting murder.

2. Extra judicial Homicide. These types are a little more riskier to the average person, but the risk is very minimal due to the fact that most of these killings occurs during protest with police, police raids in homes where suspected criminals might be living, police trying to catch a fugitive during a chase with such homicide being the end result, etc. Most people have nothing to worry about when it pertains to this type of homicide, unless you are a criminal of some sort running away from the law or if you like being in public protest that have a habit of turning violent.

3. Random homicides. This is the most risky of all homicides because there is usually not much connection between the victim and the criminal. This could be a criminal shooting and killing people at random in the streets either for robbery or simply for the sake of killing. This type of homicide is the most dangerous and panick provoking because anyone, anywhere can be a target at any time and you will not be able to trust no one around you.

Depending on which of those homicides types prevail in any given murder rate, this will reveal the level of severity and/or risk the average person has towards actually being killed by a criminal of some sort. If most homicides are the 1 and 2 types, most people will most likely never become a victim and most likely will never be in any danger of being a victim of such crime. If the murder rate is overwhelmingly of the #3 type, then in this case it's terribly dangerous for everyone.

Think about the time the Washington DC area was rocked by the snipper incident. These guys were shooting at people randomly for no motive other than to hunt for innocent people. This is a very different scenerio and much more scary than is the case of drug related killings which often are restricted to gang members killing each other and/or certain parts of town thus most people will have a sense of security given they take a few precautions and it's certainly a much more different scenerio from love triangle homicides where most people will look at such thing as tragic, but will not fear their lives are at danger unless someone has expressively given signs that they want to kill such person.

A homicide is a homicide, but what type of homicide is important for the psychological and emotional well being of the average citizen, not to mention for the sake of the economy as well.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ricktoronto said:
I think the DR rates are even worse as only what, 2 million -3 million are in Santo Domingo and the rest in smaller cities and very small and rural areas and they have big city homicide rates nationally. The point being that the Police Cheif was blowing smoke up the people's collective a$$ with these figures, no big surprise I suppose.
Rick, around 30% of the national population is concentrate in overpopulated Santo Domingo.

Santiago, San Francisco, La Vega, San Pedro, La Romana, San Juan de la Maguana, Puerto Plata, Higuey, and a few others are the other "major" towns in the country with over 100,000 residents each, all of this adds up to the national urban rate of 67%, leaving only 33% in the countryside. These percentages are not exact since I am taking them from my head based on data I've seen, but feel secure that the actual figures are within the vicinity of the figures I present here.

In a country where 67% of the population lives in cities and two of those cities (Santo Domingo with 3m and Santiago with 1m) account for half of the country's population and around 66% of the total urban population, rest assure that much of the crime being commited are probably within those two cities alone.

If we are going to compare national crime statistics, we should compare them to other countries, not cities. If we want to compare urban crime or rural crimes with those of the rest of the world, we should do so under those categories.

Comparing the national crime of the DR to the urban crime of an American city is not the best way of going about this due to several reasons, among them:

1. The DR land area is much bigger than the area being covered by any single American or any other city in the world.

2. Due to the land area dilemma, urban zones of similar populations as the entire DR have less square miles for its police force to cover versus 18,000 square miles.

3. In many cases, American cities have much more resources than does the DR, in addition to less square miles, easier police patrol due to the smaller land size, better collection of data from its residents than does an entire country, etc etc. In short, comparisons should be done within the categories.

-NALs

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I did compare to countries not cities and not American cities, the DR in no way is the lowest in Latin America, by country.

Which is what the police chief said and which is a bald-faced lie and which was the point of the original post. Maybe he could say we are not as bad as El Salvador or Colombia.

And it is quite high frankly a lot higher than I thought it would be.

Nicaragua is 2 1/2X larger with less police and army per capita than the DR, and has a murder rate 1/7th of the DR. Per #2. And #3.

susie787

Jan 18, 2006
How long does someone go to jail for if they have murdered someone, the reason i ask is i dont think here in the uk the punishment fits the crime,for example some guy with no licence no insurance and speeding killed a 3 year old girl and was sentenced to 12 weeks and also another disgusting person raped a 12 week old baby and got six years, these sentences seem to be the norm here and i dont feel that proud to be british.