HIDE YOUR IP?

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
We cancelled expressvpn last week thinking PrivateInternetAccess would do the same job for half the price . In particular we wanted to test Netfliks , Hulu live tv , internet speed and such ... results ...?
PROS - easy and quick to sign up , no major resdcution in speed , cheap ...
CONS ...didnot work on Netfliks or Hulu !!! Tried several devices , no joy , then saw several posts from other users complaining about the same on their site . 7 bucks wasted. 
CONCLUSION - went right back to expressvpn . Cancelled PIA . 
I canceled IPvanish and they returned my $10 bucks..amazing.

Nobody can come up with an IP mask to stream Amazon Prime.

Fyi- there is a section in Prime for International Watching. It has limited titles but at least no blockers.

Do not know how long it can be used for. Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202021900&linkId=46285806

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One of the downfalls of not consistently protecting your identity/location over time. Amazon records your IP every time you connect. If you for the past two days have been connecting to Amazon from an IP in Miami to stream the Grand Tour but on the third day get lazy and login from somewhere outside the USA to buy a bottle of machine oil, Amazon knows something is up.

Overtime, using varying IP addresses (most IP providers don't change your address very often) to connect to Amazon will translate into several repercussions. VPN services are notorious for issuing you a different IP every time you connect to the VPN server. When you surf to Amazon from a new IP (particularly one in a different country, State or city) than your last connection, you will face an identity query where you have to prove who you are by text msg or email and if you successfully enter the correct code, the new IP you are using is added to your list. Over time, it becomes pretty clear that you are using a VPN and at some point, Amazon drops the hammer and you're done.

Using an "always connected" VPN via your router or never disconnecting from your VPN service on your PC can preserve your distinct IP for quite awhile making that temporary IP look more like a legitimate ISP address but eventually the power will go out or you have to disconnect. Not many VPN services offer a static IP account so over time, Amazon will eventually catch on - how long that takes is a function of how often you connect using different IP addresses.

Amazon is the most prodigious geo-location blocker that I have come across. Hulu and Netflix too but not to the same degree. While living here in the DR I have come to use more and more of Amazons streaming options over time and have add a few Amazon devices to aid that endeavor. It is tough to accepted getting kicked in the groin by Delancer every time I pay their inflated bill, but that US IP address is something that does make Amazon work reliably for me each and everyday. These days I have to turn off my PC VPN to order stuff on Amazon because always connected Alexa has already squealed on me that I am actually in California, not Miami. The deeper into the Amazon ecosystem you venture, the father down the rabbit hole you fall and that is by design.

Amazon employs a myriad of techniques to parse your true geo location not just IP addresses. It's tough these days to fool them for any significant period of time without the help of a dns/vpn provider that is actively countering Amazon's DRM offensive. Amazon actively tries to trip you up. Playing music on your Alexa device using the Alexa app on your phone for example. If your phone is not connected to wifi (and often even if it is) Amazon will know your location is in the DR because the phone/app tells on you even if Alexa is VPN'd while the phone isn't. FireTv, even if using an installed VPN app will have a different IP address than your Alexa device (that you may be using to control FireTV) or your PC as you surf your account looking for something to stream on FireTV (easier to do on a PC than on FireTv itself). Having multiple devices connected to the same Amazon account presenting different IP addresses is like popping your head out of the foxhole and screaming, "here I am shoot me!"

Having any Amazon device calling home while not behind your VPN will immediately cause your VPN connected device to be booted. As I mentioned above, Alexa continuously tells Amazon where I really am as there is no way to move Alexa into my VPN bubble without flashing my router. Same for a FireTV device.

Last edited: